TV: Doctor Who:New preview drops

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Can’t wait. “Always remember where you parked. It’s gonna come up a lot.”

I’ll miss Capaldi, but looking forward to Jodie Whitaker. She was great in Broadchurch.

Reactions: kihei

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well that was very entertaining. Great sendoff for Capaldi and quite a cliffhanger to kickoff Jodie's run. When is the next series set to begin?

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Haven't been able to say "f*** Clara" in a while. Good to know they keep dragging her back out of the deep.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So Capaldi lost two companions as the Doctor, right? Is that the worst any Doctor has ever done stats-wise? I only know the modern ones.

Capaldi really grew on me in the end, but I'm pumped for Whittaker. I'm excited to see what the show does with her, and she's a great actress.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
So Capaldi lost two companions as the Doctor, right? Is that the worst any Doctor has ever done stats-wise? I only know the modern ones.

Capaldi really grew on me in the end, but I'm pumped for Whittaker. I'm excited to see what the show does with her, and she's a great actress.

10 lost Rose to another dimension/universe, and Donna had to have her mind wiped of any memory of the doctor and the things she experienced with him, otherwise her brain will fry.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
10 lost Rose to another dimension/universe, and Donna had to have her mind wiped of any memory of the doctor and the things she experienced with him, otherwise her brain will fry.
Right. Hasn't really been good business being the Doctor's companion recently, huh?

What's your beef with Clara? I liked her. Or maybe I liked Jenna Coleman. I don't know.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Right. Hasn't really been good business being the Doctor's companion recently, huh?

What's your beef with Clara? I liked her. Or maybe I liked Jenna Coleman. I don't know.

She was the litteral definition of a Mary Sue. She was also written to overshadow the doctor in many many episodes, which should never happen.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I liked the episode. It was far from the most Christmasy of Doctor Who specials ("The Snowmen" remains my favorite, followed by "Last Christmas" and "The Time of the Doctor"). It was a decent and understated send off for Capaldi. I'm looking forward to a female doctor for a change.

I'm a Clara fan. Her appearance was the only real surprise in the episode, assuming you knew about David Bradley's role. I would have preferred if Coleman was on set with the rest of the cast, rather than having her edited into the scene. Amy's cameo in Time of the Doctor was more powerful in this respect, but I'll take a Clara cameo either way.

I wasn't entirely sure why Nardole (Matt Lucas) appeared in avatar form in the closing scenes, apart from finding a way to include him in the episode. I thought copies were made only of the dead.

Capaldi's tenure had some weak writing, but I've no complaints about his portrayal or acting chops. I pre-ordered the complete Capaldi years on blu ray. It comes with every episode (obviously) and lots of extras.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackStraw

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I liked the episode. It was far from the most Christmasy of Doctor Who specials ("The Snowmen" remains my favorite, followed by "Last Christmas" and "The Time of the Doctor"). It was a decent and understated send off for Capaldi. I'm looking forward to a female doctor for a change.

I'm a Clara fan. Her appearance was the only real surprise in the episode, assuming you knew about David Bradley's role. I would have preferred if Coleman was on set with the rest of the cast, rather than having her edited into the scene. Amy's cameo in Time of the Doctor was more powerful in this respect, but I'll take a Clara cameo either way.

I wasn't entirely sure why Nardole (Matt Lucas) appeared in avatar form in the closing scenes, apart from finding a way to include him in the episode. I thought copies were made only of the dead.

Capaldi's tenure had some weak writing, but I've no complaints about his portrayal or acting chops. I pre-ordered the complete Capaldi years on blu ray. It comes with every episode (obviously) and lots of extras.

He likely is dead since he stayed behind to take care of people on that Cyberman ship. They were slowly moving up the levels, and killing people as they went along. I am sure they got to that group eventually.

Reactions: Mimsy

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
He likely is dead since he stayed behind to take care of people on that Cyberman ship. They were slowly moving up the levels, and killing people as they went along. I am sure they got to that group eventually.
While I knew that Nardole remained on the ship, I failed to remember that the Cybermen were taking it over, even after the Doctor had hatched his rescue plan. It makes sense that Nardole might have been killed in the aftermath. Thanks for the info.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Can't wait for the new season. Capaldi was just ok, IMO. There was some good ones (bank robbery was good, I liked Maisie Williams guest spots) but overall just alot of meh, IMO. I thought Nardole was an amazing companion though and really saved the last season, really REALLY disappointed he won't be back.

I never warmed up much to Clara at all, particularly when paired with Capaldi. I didn't hate her at all, thought the impossible girl storyline was ok, but overall probably one of the worst companions (maybe the worst, only other one I can think of is maybe Martha Jones?)

I hope Whittaker brings back some of the "whimsicalness" to the doctor. I get that Capaldi was more of a throwback doctor, but the fun loving enigmatic approach of Tennant and Smith are where I became a fan of Doctor Who.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Whatever the problems with the last couple of seasons, none of it was Capaldi's fault. I thought he was a great doctor. But I am so looking forward to Whitaker. For the show, she represents the right direction at just the right time.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think change is good. I am more excited about the fact there is a rumour that Torchwood rights will reverse back to the BBC in 2020 and there is talk of rebooting that series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad