2019 Stanley Cup Final Doc Emerick asked me what I remembered about 1970

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ok I am :wally:

I was in the Garden when the Bruins won it in 1970 - Sec 111 Row E Seat 2 - Ticket price $7

The most vivid memory happened in the second period.

Somebody had stolen the Bruins flag from the rafters - back then the Garden had team flags of the O6 teams - and during a TV timeout, the flag appeared and was hung down from the second balcony.

It was very hot inside the Garden that day and they actually sold out of beer before the OT.

I sort of saw the goal but wasn't sure until the red light came on :)

Seeing the Cup for the first time - it was smaller than I thought but it shined so brightly it was like watching the Wizard of Oz.

Doc just smiled at my recollection :)

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
screen-shot-2019-05-26-at-11.25.36-am.png

Reactions: Lady Rhian and BMC

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I was 3, I dont remember 72 either
I do remember watching the Bruins practice at the old Milford Ice Rink in 73 and of course being devastated losing to Philadelphia in 74.that was the day I saw the largest wild Spider that had made its home under my porch, not a good day...
Sox losing in 75
Patriots getting screwed in 76
Embarrassing loss to Montreal in 77
Another loss to Montreal in 78
Too many men in 79
Not many parades back then

aguineapig

Ok I am :wally:

I was in the Garden when the Bruins won it in 1970 - Sec 111 Row E Seat 2 - Ticket price $7

The most vivid memory happened in the second period.

Somebody had stolen the Bruins flag from the rafters - back then the Garden had team flags of the O6 teams - and during a TV timeout, the flag appeared and was hung down from the second balcony.

It was very hot inside the Garden that day and they actually sold out of beer before the OT.

I sort of saw the goal but wasn't sure until the red light came on :)

Seeing the Cup for the first time - it was smaller than I thought but it shined so brightly it was like watching the Wizard of Oz.

Doc just smiled at my recollection :)
It was where it all began. Hockey was a foreign sport in the typical US household in the day, Baseball was number One, Football and Basketball formed the trinity. CBS showed a game of the week Sunday afternoon. On the screen one Sunday was an enigma, wearing The Number 4, swashbuckling his way thru the opposition with Dan Kelly's voice reaching a crescendo every time he began one of the patented Orr rushes. My older Brother laughed "The Montreal Canadians are the Greatest" and i immediately knew i hated them. Bruin fandom was waiting to be led to the promised land and Bobby Orr was the Messiah. That hot afternoon in May was eagerly anticipated, the street hockey gear was laid out in the driveway and ending of course was pure Magic, Dan Kelly "Orr to Sanderson, Back to Orr, SCORE.... BOBBY ORR AND THE BOSTON BRUINS HAVE WON THE STANLEY CUP" ! And hockey in the Living rooms across the US were won over by the wonder of Number 4 Bobby Orr!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I was 7 and didn't pay any attention to the Bruins or the Cup at that time. My mom watched it though and saw Orr's goal. She says she yelled out when it happened but I have no recollection of it.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It was Mother’s Day and of course, my dad who went to every game, went. Needless to say, my mother wasn’t all that thrilled with that decision but we all watched over my uncle’s father’s house in Medford.

There were more than a few 13 year old flying Bobby Orrs running around after that goal needless to say

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
born in 69`, too young to experience the B`s Cup wins and Bobby Orr, call me jealous

Though I'd been attending Red Wings games since '69 -- and the first one I recall was a 2-2 against the Bruins -- I don't remember the SC winning game.

I well remember the next season, when Ken Dryden and his ugly mask mystified the B's and stole their Cup. By '72 I was still rooting for the Dead Wings, but thought the Bruins -- those uniforms, that swagger, that glamour -- were *it.*

Didn't really reconnect until I moved to Boston for school in ''82. Really became a rabid fan in 1986. Cam Neely.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I had only been a Bruins/hockey fan for about two weeks...loved the fights and that the Bruins wore Black...had no idea how hockey OT worked . settled down with Cheetos for munchies...spit out a mouthful when Bobby scored.

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
Did Doc exclaim after you told your story "Ring ten bells for that memory!!!!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->