Rumor: Doan coming back to play one more season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
We've got to be "fans" sometime, right?

I thought we were all unpaid advisers in the front office?

(...Okay, okay, unpaid advisers to the front office...)

Speaking of fans, though, the marketing team could get some mileage out of a Doaner farewell tour. I bet the chance to see Mr. Coyote one last time could lure in folks who have fond memories of the early days, but drifted away because of the ownership or the sucking or both.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I'm fine with Doan back another year, so long as Tippet give him bottom six minutes. For all the crap we give tippet, he was giving Doan less and less ice time so we all seem to be on the same page, there.

And hopefully, Doan is doing the right thing by ceding more and more of the room to OEL and Domi.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm fine with Doan back another year, so long as Tippet give him bottom six minutes. For all the crap we give tippet, he was giving Doan less and less ice time so we all seem to be on the same page, there.

And hopefully, Doan is doing the right thing by ceding more and more of the room to OEL and Domi.
He did an interview at the end of the season and basically said it's OEL's team now and that Domi was the leader of the really young guys. Best part is he seemed really cool about it, like a proud mentor watching his protege's rise.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Doan has been a great guy for us. One of a kind. Last year pretty much after the ten game mark I admitted after the ten game mark that the game had just passed him by, but I also don't mind if he comes back and plays limited minutes. Pretending like that is the difference between playoffs and not given how far out we are is ridiculous.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Hopefully they dump Smith and that seals the deal.

Exactly. Hope this happens. Trade Smitty and hope that forces Doan's hand into retirement. This team hasn't necessarily had a bad locker room lately, but it needs a fresh locker room. It needs new voices, and new leadership, and that means saying bye bye to Smitty and Doan. This team needs new direction and to find their own identity as a new group. If we're going to hang on to Tippett then we need some new voices in other areas...

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Exactly. Hope this happens. Trade Smitty and hope that forces Doan's hand into retirement. This team hasn't necessarily had a bad locker room lately, but it needs a fresh locker room. It needs new voices, and new leadership, and that means saying bye bye to Smitty and Doan. This team needs new direction and to find their own identity as a new group. If we're going to hang on to Tippett then we need some new voices in other areas...

Or, better yet, a truly fresh locker room that includes a new coach. I know it won't happen, but if they truly want to be a new team and maintain the rebuild, that would be the way to go. No Smitty, No Doan, No Tippett, perhaps even no Vrbata (as much as I'd dislike that). Hell, maybe even a new look to the uniforms (or at least starting that process--it's probably too late to properly make those changes).

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I wouldn't put hopes that trading Smith would trigger Doan.

He and Christian Dvorak became good friends this past season. Probably even more so than any friendship with Smith.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
As a player Doan should hang them up.

but he's still valuable in the sense he's the only recognized face of this franchise. getting an arena deal is helpful with Shane playing .

And really it makes no difference anyway. This team is not doing anything next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad