Rumor: Doan coming back to play one more season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
We need to move into the OEL/Domi era. Can't do that with Doan around. Love the guy, but I don't think he's helping the team at this point in his career.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I wouldn't mind if he pulled a Selanne and played every other game or so. But he should not be above 10 mins a game and he should NEVER see any line besides the fourth.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm ok with that, I think he knows his role at this point and I'd like him to go on a farewell tour so to speak. He's the ultimate Coyote and if he's ok with it, he should be honored as such.

For those that don't want him back...why? The Coyotes are going to suck next year either way, it's not like he's going to hurt the team. Also he's not going to take away a valuable spot as he'd almost certainly play in the bottom 6. If he was a normal player I'd understand but this is Shane mf'n Doan we're talking about here. We'll probably never even see a Coyote with that level of commitment to the team much less the valley of the sun again <insert low effort Seattle crack here>. Why not let him have his farewell tour?

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wouldn't mind if he pulled a Selanne and played every other game or so. But he should not be above 10 mins a game and he should NEVER see any line besides the fourth.

I'd be fine with that, but I'm in full turn the page mode with this team if I was in management. Top that off with Doan continuing to be played in the top six most of the season and grumblings through the media that he acutally wasn't happy with his more limited role for some bizarre reason, I wouldn't make him an offer.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm ok with that, I think he knows his role at this point and I'd like him to go on a farewell tour so to speak. He's the ultimate Coyote and if he's ok with it, he should be honored as such.

For those that don't want him back...why?

I'd rather not watch him suck for another 82 games and don't like farewell tours.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I hope Doan is willing to be traded at the deadline if the Coyotes aren't in playoff contention. Pittsburgh right now has the best change to win a cup next season so hopefully Doan goes there for a cup chase.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd rather have someone effective on the fourth line. He's too slow to be there in time to hit, and too slow to get the puck.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
I think he's great to have around as a player fans can relate with. But if he's not ok accepting a bottom six role?

Good luck elsewhere Doaner

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
I hope Doan is willing to be traded at the deadline if the Coyotes aren't in playoff contention. Pittsburgh right now has the best change to win a cup next season so hopefully Doan goes there for a cup chase.

He wasn't wanted by any team in contention..

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

For those that don't want him back...why? The Coyotes are going to suck next year either way, it's not like he's going to hurt the team. Also he's not going to take away a valuable spot as he'd almost certainly play in the bottom 6. If he was a normal player I'd understand but this is Shane mf'n Doan we're talking about here. We'll probably never even see a Coyote with that level of commitment to the team much less the valley of the sun again <insert low effort Seattle crack here>. Why not let him have his farewell tour?

He has more than earned it, so if he wants to come back we should let him. Because of his play last year though, I think I'd prefer he stay retired and take another job with the team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd rather have someone effective on the fourth line. He's too slow to be there in time to hit, and too slow to get the puck.

He was .36 PPG last year and Rieder was .43 PPG, and Martinook was .32 PPG, both are fast and got to every puck. For the fourth line, Doan can be effective especially with Richardson coming back.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think he's great to have around as a player fans can relate with. But if he's not ok accepting a bottom six role?

Good luck elsewhere Doaner

I think Doan more than anyone knows what his role will be.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Doan needs 28 points to hit 1,000 career points.

I'm all for a farewell tour. Yes Doan hasn't played up to his status, but it will be another year to mentor the kids.

If he gets 8 goals, 30 assists, 47 PIM, and plays 60+ games, we're looking at him having in total.

Goals-410
Assists- 600
Points- 1010
PIM- 1400
Games Played- 1600+

Plus if he plays 75 games, once Iginla moves past Larry Murphy in all time GP, Doan could pass Murphy and sit at 10th overall all time on the GP list

Those are hall of fame worthy numbers.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He was .36 PPG last year and Rieder was .43 PPG, and Martinook was .32 PPG, both are fast and got to every puck. For the fourth line, Doan can be effective especially with Richardson coming back.

Based on his play last year, I think he is done. But having said that, if he wants to play, he is kind of a sacred cow and likely deserves it. Maybe if he cuts weight, like 20 pounds, the way DMO did, he can gain some quickness and speed back, enough to be more effective this year than last. If he doesn't cut weight, and I'm not sayihg he is fat or over weight, father time has caught up with him. At his age, losing weight is the only way to get some jump back in his skating. He is still smart and can stand in front of the net on the PP and help the team but his even strength minutes could be rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->