Do You Want Dave Tippett to Coach the Coyotes Next Season?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I couldn't stand the team that was iced last season or having to sit through all but a handful of home games, but I certainly didn't see what you (and many here) describe. Not often anyway.

Fair enough, I disagree though. We've had this discussion several times anyway, I doubt anything new comes of it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I couldn't stand the team that was iced last season or having to sit through all but a handful of home games, but I certainly didn't see what you (and many here) describe. Not often anyway.

I did. Look, for years this team has overachieved, whether we made it to the Conference Final or not. Tippett for years had guys playing over their pay grade. But last season, for the first time, I could see players checking out. It was the first time I ever felt like our lunch-pail gang wasn't putting forth maximum effort. About midway through the season I got the sense that maybe Tippett had lost the room.

That was my gut feeling, so it's not the truth, it's truthiness, but I have a pretty hefty body of previous work to compare it to (back to 2005, my first full year as a STH). It could have simply been player injury or age that caused that sensation, I'll admit. But for the first time in a long time - probably since Tippett became head coach - I could tell for certain that this team was incapable of coming back from a deficit.

I just never got the sense that this team was a team.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Fair enough, I disagree though. We've had this discussion several times anyway, I doubt anything new comes of it.

No worries, I just think a lot of folks wanted to see the type of play that involves risk, rather than the more restrained play that was required from such a piss poor roster. They were trying their damndest to play within a system that gave them the best chance to win..... most nights.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I did. Look, for years this team has overachieved, whether we made it to the Conference Final or not. Tippett for years had guys playing over their pay grade. But last season, for the first time, I could see players checking out. It was the first time I ever felt like our lunch-pail gang wasn't putting forth maximum effort. About midway through the season I got the sense that maybe Tippett had lost the room.

That was my gut feeling, so it's not the truth, it's truthiness, but I have a pretty hefty body of previous work to compare it to (back to 2005, my first full year as a STH). It could have simply been player injury or age that caused that sensation, I'll admit. But for the first time in a long time - probably since Tippett became head coach - I could tell for certain that this team was incapable of coming back from a deficit.

The team really, woefully lacked talent.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Seems you have some anger and you're just venting, but Tippett is an excellent coach. The way I see it, we can blame GMDM for last off season and move on, or hold a grudge, but I can't see how any coach could have made chicken salad out of last season's chicken ****.

Exactly right. I have been saying this since the cows come home.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This! You can't teach talent. You can't expect a hard working team of nobodies to succeed when talented teams are also hard working. I like when coaches are let go because the team didn't play up to its potential. This isn't the case. The hate for Tippet on this board is just ridiculous. His team played up to its ability level. It's ludicrous to blame the coach for the GM's mistakes.

Correct

This year's team wasn't a hard working team of nobodies. It was a passive lazy team of nobodies. While the team was very short on talent they also drifted around not giving a **** frequently. Lack of effort is on the coach.

Wrong

Lack of effort is on the players. Adults. Professionals.

Correct

I think you're perhaps confusing players playing within their roles as being lazy.

Correct

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Not to interrupt the mutual appreciation society but
@SNstats: The NHL franchise with longest tenured GM / Coach tandem now belongs to....the Arizona Coyotes (Maloney & Tippett)

Other than one fluke playoff run, what have Tippett and Maloney done to deserve this distinction? A lot of great coaches and GM's around the league have been fired for a lot less recently. It's time to move on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not to interrupt the mutual appreciation society but

Other than one fluke playoff run, what have Tippett and Maloney done to deserve this distinction? A lot of great coaches and GM's around the league have been fired for a lot less recently. It's time to move on.

:blah::blah::blah:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Much of it is venting, because we secretly know that nobody truly in power has the slightest compunction to truly hear us out. It's also throwing crap at the wall because we live in a state where there is a news vacuum about hockey - there are really only two types of reporters here, the shills or those who could care less about the game. So we indulge ourselves to fill the gap.

For example, with the Babcock signing by Toronto today, I had this brief fantasy that Tippett would say to himself, "Well, golly! Coaching the Red Wings. That would be a lark!" and then Don Maloney would say, "Well, if Dave wants to go to Hockeytown, maybe this Blashill guy could come in and helm our rebuild!"

There's no way on this planet something that awesome would happen but it was nice to think about in this lull between Stanley Cup Playoff games, TSN articles about our team's always-imminent demise, the nerves about the upcoming draft, and the nagging feeling that all of the talk coming out of Maloney's mouth about next season (rebuild? reload? repeat last year?) is a presage to another underwhelming and pathetic team for 2015-2016.

Hell, isn't that kind of stuff what Internet message boards are for? :sarcasm:

Your fantasy is my fantasy. We are same.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
GM for 8 years and yet this is Maloney's first off-season without any BS. No Gretzky, no bankruptcy, no council meetings, no ownership issues (much to TSN's chagrin), and real money to play with. Give him a good budget and he'll give you a good hockey team.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
GM for 8 years and yet this is Maloney's first off-season without any BS. No Gretzky, no bankruptcy, no council meetings, no ownership issues (much to TSN's chagrin), and real money to play with. Give him a good budget and he'll give you a good hockey team.
...he'll try to put together a good hockey team, and this off-season there'll be more opportunities than usual because of a stagnant cap (at least that's what I hope). It will be an interesting off-season

***IN MALONEY I TRUST*** and God Bless Dave Tippet

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

The team needs more talent. I don't believe they'll be able to acquire enough through trades and FAs. They'll have to incorporate the youth to put an exciting team that generates regular offense on the ice. I just have no confidence Tippett will do that.

Losing with exciting youth trying to develop into something is one thing. Losing like we did this season is completely unwatchable. Barely making the playoffs with a bunch of scrap heap slugs while the young talent is looking for a way out of the organization is no better. Hope they've learned from their mistakes.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

In the last year, the team lost Ribs and Verby, traded Yandle and Vermette, Doan got old, Hanzal and Bods were injured and out for the year, and Smith got worse. That means, 8 out of our 9 best players (OEL is the other one) were injured, traded, old, or suck worse (Smith).
All of this with zero replacements at the same level.

That is not a Tip problem, it is a talent problem.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You hit the nail on the head.:nod: Love reading your posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->