Do you want Alex Tanguay back next season?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
He's 36 and will be 37 in November. I figure he's got an NHL roster spot for at least another season or two. I wouldn't mind bringing him back, but only on a one-year contract. He's got to realize that he's looking at 1-year contracts until he retires anyway, so why not here? I mean, part of me wants this whole "Patrick Roy 2.0" situation with Tippett implodes and we retool properly instead of try a quick turnaround whilst blowing up what Don Maloney was trying to do, but either way, I'd like to give Tanguay one year at a reasonable price. As far as salary goes, I'm not sure. Maybe $2.5M AAV?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Maybe, but I'd rather try and bring in a player that can contribute when not producing points first.

But maybe his chemistry with Vermette is worth it regardless.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Nah would rather have a right handed shot.

Come on guys. Brouwer is love, Brouwer is life. Would much rather have someone who is willing to stick up for teammates and has some push back.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
I'm fine with him coming back if a better option doesn't present itself during free agency, and if we'll still have room for potentially 2-3 rookies to make the team.

Nah would rather have a right handed shot.

Come on guys. Brouwer is love, Brouwer is life. Would much rather have someone who is willing to stick up for teammates and has some push back.

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to defend teammates in the NHL anymore.

Or maybe I've been misled into thinking that from watching the Coyotes too much these past few seasons.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
But maybe his chemistry with Vermette is worth it regardless.
That. I'd like to squeeze the last little bit of juice out of that orange. He scored more in ARZ than Boedker did in COL, so on a one year deal, why not? I'm cool with Strome coming right to Glendale, but I'd like to see Perlini and Dvorak start in the AHL, put in a couple months there and then be a mid-season call-up if need be.
Nah would rather have a right handed shot. Come on guys. Brouwer is love, Brouwer is life. Would much rather have someone who is willing to stick up for teammates and has some push back.
Sure. But Tanguay would be a nice Plan B.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He just clogs another spot for our talented youth. I definitely don't want him back. I fully expect Tippett to sign him to a 2 year deal.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Could we have both?

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Rieder - Strome - Doan
Tanguay - Vermette - Brouwer
Martinook - Richardson - Samuelsson

I'd rather see Dvorak on the roster even if he has to play Wing. But he shouldn't be on the 4th line so that makes it tough to find a spot for both Tanguay and Brouwer.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I'd rather see Dvorak on the roster even if he has to play Wing. But he shouldn't be on the 4th line so that makes it tough to find a spot for both Tanguay and Brouwer.
Opening night, opening shift, I want the Springfield Falcons to put out Brendan Perlini, Chris Dvorak and Conor Garland. Sign a random UFA as the 13th forward and let Chris Dvorak play 1st line in the AHL. He's a two-way dynamo and he's centering the best line in the CHL. Putting him in as a bottom 6 winger is negative learning.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Opening night, opening shift, I want the Springfield Falcons to put out Brendan Perlini, Chris Dvorak and Conor Garland. Sign a random UFA as the 13th forward and let Chris Dvorak play 1st line in the AHL. He's a two-way dynamo and he's centering the best line in the CHL. Putting him in as a bottom 6 winger is negative learning.

This is my mindset. I want Dvo in the AHL. Unless he absolutely blows us away. But I want him playing first line center in Tucson.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Putting him in as a bottom 6 winger is negative learning.

Didn't hurt Reinhart in Buffalo, another noted two-way C. He quietly had almost as good a season as Domi switching over from C to W.

I'm thinking :
A. Dvorak can get acclimated to playing offense in the NHL more slowly before he takes on that C role.
B. Hanzal is perpetually broken and will miss time. Thus when Dvorak slides over to C as the obvious replacement he won't have to come from the minors and adjust to the speed/skill of the NHL.
C. Dvorak can still slot in at C for match up adjustments and play C on the PK to give Hanzal a break.
D. He's simply too good for the AHL. I consider that negative learning more so than playing wing at the NHL level.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
Didn't hurt Reinhart in Buffalo, another noted two-way C. He quietly had almost as good a season as Domi switching over from C to W.

I'm thinking :
A. Dvorak can get acclimated to playing offense in the NHL more slowly before he takes on that C role.
B. Hanzal is perpetually broken and will miss time. Thus when Dvorak slides over to C as the obvious replacement he won't have to come from the minors and adjust to the speed/skill of the NHL.
C. Dvorak can still slot in at C for match up adjustments and play C on the PK to give Hanzal a break.
D. He's simply too good for the AHL. I consider that negative learning more so than playing wing at the NHL level.

I want Dvorak at center. If he's not ready for NHL yet (I think he is) let him he 'the guy' in Tucson. He's been great on the dot. Can't remember the last box score he was sub 50.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If he's not ready for NHL yet (I think he is)

I agree he's ready, but the problem is we don't have enough center spots. Vermette and Hanzal are locks. I'm going to continue to believe for my own sanity that Strome is a near lock. Richardson is the 4C for the next two seasons.

1 year at Wing won't hurt him and could even help him, lots of C's play wing first. One or both of Hanzal/Vermette could be gone after next year and then Dvorak has a C slot.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
I agree he's ready, but the problem is we don't have enough center spots. Vermette and Hanzal are locks. I'm going to continue to believe for my own sanity that Strome is a near lock. Richardson is the 4C for the next two seasons.

1 year at Wing won't hurt him and could even help him, lots of C's play wing first. One or both of Hanzal/Vermette could be gone after next year and then Dvorak has a C slot.

Why can't we move vermette over? Never thought there'd be a logjam at center for this team.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Would like to upgrade that spot, but wouldn't object to a return of Tangs.

My dream:
Domi- Hanzal - Duclair
Eriksson - Strome - Doan/Dvorak
Reider- Vermette - Doan/Dvorak
Martinook - Richardson - Brouwer

If we don't sign Eriksson, I'd like Vrbata, then Tanguay in that order. Wouldn't be upset with Tanguay.

The for D:

OEL - Michalek
Yandle - Stone
One of the scrubs - Murphy

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
The for D:
OEL - Michalek
Yandle - Stone
One of the scrubs - Murphy

Are you in shock after the recent Tippet/Chayka Debacle? Z on 1st pairing?? He'll be on the 3rd with Grossmann (who will probably be re-signed)

Back on-topic...
I'm okay with having Tanguay here for an inexpensive 1 year contract, but I would probably prefer him to not be re-signed. Thus, I went with maybe.

Hopefully we'll be able to find a decent semi-offensive veteran RW for the 2nd line:
Rieder - Strome - Purcell, Eriksson, Okposo, Versteeg, Perron, or whoever else we can acquire/lure here once the 2nd pairing is shored up

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Would like to explore some other options first, but Tanguay is a decent backup plan. The $2.5m number sounds about right.

Brouwer is high on my list but I think he'll re-sign in STL.

As for Dvorak, the organization sees him as a center. He's NHL ready. We may need to move out an existing C to make that happen.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Would like to explore some other options first, but Tanguay is a decent backup plan. The $2.5m number sounds about right.

Brouwer is high on my list but I think he'll re-sign in STL.

As for Dvorak, the organization sees him as a center. He's NHL ready. We may need to move out an existing C to make that happen.

Move Richardson to wing?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think so. He may be less effective there, and I know he signed in AZ to play center, but oh well. He's Brad Richardson, he doesn't get that kind of pull.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I'd prefer someone better, Okposo ideally. Chayka is supposedly close with his agent, ownerhsip is encouraging spending... Still a low chance of it though.

But if Tanguay is signed after the initial free agent frenzy on a 1 year deal I'll be fine with it. Would provide good leadership for the younger players, and he enjoyed being in a mentor role last season.

I only want one vet who would take a top 6 spot. I want the opportunity there for one of the young players to get a top 6 spot out of camp. Domi, Duclair, Strome, Hanzal are locks for it. Add one vet. Allow a rookie and Rieder to battle for the last spot.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think so. He may be less effective there, and I know he signed in AZ to play center, but oh well. He's Brad Richardson, he doesn't get that kind of pull.

And he would get the chance to play center when Hanzal inevitably gets injured. I'd love for the centers to be Hanzal, Strome, Dvorak, Vermette and Richardson as a fill in.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Okposo is definitely worth considering. Still, I have big concerns with his consistency.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Okposo is definitely worth considering. Still, I have big concerns with his consistency.
Inconsistent and expensive. If he's looking for a 6x6 deal, no thanks.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I'm thinking :

Training camp will sort everything out. No idea what your reasoning is for him being too good for the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad