Do you think there are 1 ppg players hiding in the NHL?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I have ended heard that NHLers like a good game of hide and seek.

I think Guentzel can get there as he matures his game a bit more.

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
Rickard Rakell perhaps

Edit: Not hiding or in the lower lines so doesn’t meet OP criteria, but I think he’d look great on a better team.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Given the right situation, I think Torey Krug would have a shot at it.

For example, if you put him on Tampa in Sergachev's spot I think he hits 1.00 PPG

He's an elite PP weapon, and his PPG has jumped every year for the last 5 seasons:

He's currently at 40 in 46 so far this season, so its not that far fetched

Reactions: b in vancouver

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
1 ppg is a lot. Bolts are overflowing with talent and I still wouldn't classify any of our lower line guys as potential 1 ppg guys. Maybeee....Miller because he has played much of this season on the fourth line but I think that's in name only.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Perhaps they could be identified by taking in their average TOI into the factor:

Say, Crosby gets 82 points in 82 games for 1 PPG. But he does that with 20+ minutes per game.
If you have a Random McRandomface doing 20 points in 82 games, you don't even lift an eyebrow. But if he does that with 5 minutes of ice time, he is doing mighty fine and could theoretically score at 1 PPG if he gets to play 20+ minutes per game.

I took a couple of low-key possibles from: https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats...time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=1&page=1

Mason Appleton WPG
31 GP
3+7=10
8:08 avg TOI

Austin Wagner LA
40 GP
7+5=12
8:38 avg TOI

Jack Roslovic WPG
56 GP
7+9=16
9:42 avg TOI

If they tripled their ice time, they could theoretically have near-1 PPG.

But finding players that could do 1 PPG if they played in higher lines will be a bit harder to spot without doing extensive watching. Off the top of my head, I would say Patrik Laine, Ilya Kovalchuk, Evgeny Malkin, Alex DeBrincat are names that could very well reach if they played in a better team or with their 1st line.

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Perhaps they could be identified by taking in their average TOI into the factor:

Say, Crosby gets 82 points in 82 games for 1 PPG. But he does that with 20+ minutes per game.
If you have a Random McRandomface doing 20 points in 82 games, you don't even lift an eyebrow. But if he does that with 5 minutes of ice time, he is doing mighty fine and could theoretically score at 1 PPG if he gets to play 20+ minutes per game.

I took a couple of low-key possibles from: https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats...time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=1&page=1

Mason Appleton WPG
31 GP
3+7=10

Austin Wagner LA
40 GP
7+5=12

Jack Roslovic WPG
56 GP
7+9=16

But finding players that could do 1 PPG if they played in higher lines will be a bit harder to spot without doing extensive watching. Off the top of my head, I would say Patrik Laine, Ilya Kovalchuk, Evgeny Malkin, Alex DeBrincat are names that could very well reach if they played in a better team or with their 1st line.
It doesn't work like that?m. The guy playin 5 minutes a night is facing bottom pairing dmen. If you're getting .20 minutes you're getting the top pairing.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Mason Appleton WPG
31 GP
3+7=10

Austin Wagner LA
40 GP
7+5=12

Jack Roslovic WPG
56 GP
7+9=16

not quite, P/60 has long since been proven to not be linear. It decreases as TOI increases

Reactions: filinski77

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
That kind of depends a lot on who's line you want to put the guy on. A lot of people would probably be ppg if you put them with Crosby.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I don't know if he is really hiding or if he could score ppg at this age, frankly I didn't see him play for close to a year, but I am of the opinion that if Söderberg went over earlier in his career he would be a good(perhaps even great) first liner.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Kreider played with a particular type of center like a Getzlaf or a Crosby, they would bounce 45 goals in off of his ass.

That's not to say that Kreider is necessarily that good or that his situation on the Rangers is bad in any way. It's a style thing. Zibanejad isn't really a playmaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad