Do you think the Rangers are cursed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Tyson*

I don't know, I've seen a lot of great players come to the Rangers and it always seem like this is the place where great players come to die. For example, Lindros, Redden, Bure, Gaborik, Nash, Jagr, Fleury, etc. all had their productions decrease after they came to the Rangers. On paper this team always look like a contender, but why do they always struggle to make the playoff? Can somebody tell me if it's a string of bad luck or if the pressure of playing in a big market like NY is too much, because my brother is a big rangers fan and I just can't convince him to like the Penguins over the Rangers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
I don't know, I've seen a lot of great players come to the Rangers and it always seem like this is the place where great players come to die. For example, Lindros, Redden, Bure, Gaborik, Nash, Jagr, Fleury, etc. all had their productions decrease after they came to the Rangers. On paper this team always look like a contender, but why do they always struggle to make the playoff? Can somebody tell me if it's a string of bad luck or if the pressure of playing in a big market like NY is too much, because my brother is a big rangers fan and I just can't convince him to like the Penguins over the Rangers.

No s**t.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I don't know, I've seen a lot of great players come to the Rangers and it always seem like this is the place where great players come to die. For example, Lindros, Redden, Bure, Gaborik, Nash, Jagr, Fleury, etc. all had their productions decrease after they came to the Rangers. On paper this team always look like a contender, but why do they always struggle to make the playoff?

First, those bolded names do not fit in at all. Gaborik's had two 40 goal seasons for us. Nash has been excellent, he's just hurt right now. Jagr set the single season points record for a Ranger and then followed that up with a 96 point campaign.

Second, it's not a curse. Lindros' head had already taken way too many hits by the time we got him. Redden was already declining heavily. Bure's knees were shot. Fleury had substance abuse problems. None of these guys were young and in their primes when we added them.

Can somebody tell me if it's a string of bad luck or if the pressure of playing in a big market like NY is too much, because my brother is a big rangers fan and I just can't convince him to like the Penguins over the Rangers.

Market pressure!? The Rangers get barely any attention from the media here. They just never seem to have young superstar forwards because they're never bad enough to pick first overall (their last top five pick was in 1999). Unlike your franchise they've never intentionally put themselves in that position either (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...-tank-the-83-84-season-to-get-lemieux-371910/), or had the lottery balls magically giftwrap one for them.

Mike Tyson*

First, those bolded names do not fit in at all. Gaborik's had two 40 goal seasons for us. Nash has been excellent, he's just hurt right now. Jagr set the single season points record for a Ranger and then followed that up with a 96 point campaign.

Second, it's not a curse. Lindros' head had already taken way too many hits by the time we got him. Redden was already declining heavily. Bure's knees were shot. Fleury had substance abuse problems. None of these guys were young and in their primes when we added them.

Market pressure!? The Rangers get barely any attention from the media here. They just never seem to have young superstar forwards because they're never bad enough to pick first overall (their last top five pick was in 1999). Unlike your franchise they've never intentionally put themselves in that position either (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...-tank-the-83-84-season-to-get-lemieux-371910/), or had the lottery balls magically giftwrap one for them.

Okay then, scratched the players you bolded off of my list, because after doing some research you did make a little bit of sense. I may have got just a little bit carried away with my list, but still, even after you take of gaborik, jagr, and Nash, the list is still long and relevant. And my question remains the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad