do you think redwings might be interested in namestnikov ?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
We should get:

- Brodie from CGY to fix their cap problems (CGY can't sign Matthew Tkachuk anyhow)
- Gusev from VGK to fix their cap problems (VGK can't sign him anyhow)
- Somebody from Rangers to fix their cap problems

Getting Brendan Smith would be fun. :P

Like, if it would be:
Smith + 1st <> 7th (+4M of dead weight is worth 1st, like on Marleau-case)

Then the old trade was
2nd + 3rd <> Smith

when you merge them:
Smith + 1st + 2nd + 3rd <> Smith + 7th

And when you exclude Smith from the formula:
1st + 2nd + 3rd to Detroit <> 7th to NYR :D
Literally hate all these deals

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I feel like Namestikov still has enough value where there isn't a need to couple him with a pick or prospect to dump his salary.

As far as trying to help the Rangers and get something in return...

Depending on how realistic Brooks speculation is on Shattenkirk being bought out in the next couple days.... With the cap space the Wings have both this season and next, I'd see what kind of asset(s) the Rangers would tack onto him to move his contract.

To make room on the blueline, the deal would probably have to include Daley going to the Rangers, likely with retention (50% would make Daley $150k more than Shattenkirks buyout hit for the next season).

Daley (50% retained)

for

Shattenkirk + pick/prospect

If Shattenkirk can somewhat turn it around with a change of scenery, he can be traded as a 1-year rental after he only has $2M remaining in real money on his contract after 7/1/20, or as a deadline rental in 20-21. He can also be an insurance policy in case they feel the need to sign a vet UFA dman if/when Green, Ericsson, Daley and/or Kronwall (if he returns) are gone after this coming season.

The addition to Shattenkirk would have to be pretty decent though. Probably more than the Rangers want to pay seeing that they aren't a contender yet. Then again, not having to face Shattenkirk's $6M+ buyout cap hit for 20-21 when they need to re-sign/replace a bunch of forwards and maybe want to try for another big name UFA (who probably wants to go there anyway :rolleyes:) next summer might be valuable...

As far as Illitch and money are concerned, I won't hold my breath, but maybe Yzerman is biding his time waiting to see how desperate some teams might get if they're over the cap to start the season. Kind of like how the Islanders ended up with Leddy and Boychuk.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
We were very fortunate to have a great owner who wanted to see his teams win before he died. I don't think his son is anywhere close to that mode yet. There were multiple chances this offseason to acquire assets for taking on salary dumps, and we haven't seen the Wings participate yet....

Not being involved in buying up a 2nd or 3rd round pick does not mean that Chris would not buy them. A whole host of other factors are involved including a brand new GM for the first time in 22 years. I agree Mr. I was a great owner, and his son seems to be in the win mode to me... He got rid of Ken Holland. Think about it. If he wanted a status quo team, keeping Kenny would have been the move.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I agree with other posters that Namestnikov is probably someone they don't move to solve cap issues, if they wanted to deal Smith here it would depend on what the incentive was but I would listen, if we are taking on cap space for assets though I was hoping for something more bang for the buck. At least with Namestnikov you have someone who could late bloom into a better player. With Smith you need pure incentive to take on that contract he has no trade value and has a second-year remaining.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't see him being significantly better than guys like AA, Hirose, Zadina, Helm, Svechnikov for Detroit at this stage - I don't see how he slots in for our club at all

He'd be another filler body, which is fine, if NYR is sweetening the deal to shed his cap hit

But in terms of actually valuing the player and wanting him longer term, he doesn't fit in, doesn't improve the team much if at all, and ultimately he is inconsequential to me

Exactly. I mean, i'll take on the last year of his contract for next to nothing or if they throw in a draft pick or something, but i'm not giving them anything of value for a guy who is a free agent in a year and likely wouldn't be part of the future here.

Reactions: Retire91

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Namestikov and a 2nd for the Sj’s third maybe?

I don’t see it happening but in theory seems fair. If we weren’t in on buying out Marleau for a first I don’t see us being in a rush. Namestikov isn’t anything special and is at the age where he likely won’t improve much if at all. Rather see a kid in the spot

Why would the Wings be interested in trading down in the draft to take on 1 year of a mediocre player?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Man, you guys make it sound like Namestnikov is an absolute dog **** of a player.

He's a middle 6 winger who will get you 30-40 points a year, going rate for that is 3-4 million.

Namestnikov has a market value cap hit for his production/role. How does anyone figure Rangers would throw in a 1st round kicker to move him?

How does anyone figure the Wings would give up anything of value for a 30 point player who will be a free agent in one season?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not being involved in buying up a 2nd or 3rd round pick does not mean that Chris would not buy them. A whole host of other factors are involved including a brand new GM for the first time in 22 years. I agree Mr. I was a great owner, and his son seems to be in the win mode to me... He got rid of Ken Holland. Think about it. If he wanted a status quo team, keeping Kenny would have been the move.
Chris is in win mode and Holland wasn't getting it done. I don't think he's in a win NOW mode, otherwise Stevie wouldn't be preaching patience. I'd like to think Chris is willing to spend the cap limit when appropriate. We'll find out within the next couple of years.

We can all disagree on Holland or Wright or whatever, but if anyone has anything bad to say about Mr. I, I will fly back to MI and kick you in your nuts.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
We’d be trading for a 2nd (as in we get it) for a late third likely in the 80s+
Ranger's already traded their 3rd for this season which potentially upgrades to 2nd
Np.

I’d still be happy with that deal especially if there are injuries in camp. Rangers second is likely in the 45-55 range so we’d be moving up essentially 30 spots min/an entire round and could possibly flip Namestikov for another 3rd or so at the TDL.
Rangers already traded their 3rd round pick this upcoming draft. Which depending on conditions upgrades to 2nd round pick this year.

But give me some of that kool-aid that makes you think Rangers are sending a 1-3 round pick just to move an asset like Namestnikov who is worth that himself.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Man, you guys make it sound like Namestnikov is an absolute dog **** of a player.

He's a middle 6 winger who will get you 30-40 points a year, going rate for that is 3-4 million.

Namestnikov has a market value cap hit for his production/role. How does anyone figure Rangers would throw in a 1st round kicker to move him?

Yeah but why do we need him? We have Nielsen and Filppula as middle six centers and plenty of wingers. Plus we have youngsters knocking on the door on the wings. Overall, our roster is set for the season. No need to complicate things.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
To me there isn't very much potential for "reward" unless Namestnikov is coming in on a cap dump type deal (where the Wings get something tangible up front for taking him on) or in exchange for something negligible (like a 5th-7th rounder and/or longshot prospect). If they pay more than that, there's a good chance that the Red Wings either break even on what they spent or potentially lose value.

With the Rangers, it took Namestnikov 71 games to reach 20 points, and that included a stretch last year where he had 0G and 2A in 23 games. He picked it up a bit down the stretch last season with 15pts in 26 games, but 8 of those points came in 3 games...

If he's similarly slow to get going in Detroit, they're either stuck with him and simply let him walk as a UFA, or they're trying to peddle him off as a rental at the deadline to get something out of him. In that case, if the Red Wings had traded an earlier pick for him, they're out that pick.

The only realistic positive outcome would be Namestikov playing well in Detroit and netting them something like a 2nd rounder as a deadline rental. Unless the Red Wings have turned it around completely and are comfortably in the playoffs at the deadline, I can't see them risking trying to hang onto him. He'd probably have his sights set on cashing in on the UFA market, or would need decent money and term to keep him from doing so. With only 3/4 of a good season in Detroit on his resume at that point, the later could end up becoming a regrettable contract down the road.

IMO, Namestnikov's another guy who's value was inflated by playing with elite players, who Yzerman then smartly sold high on before he would have to compensate him for that inflated value. The other two I can think of off the top of my head were Steve Downie and Cory Conacher.

Reactions: Winger98

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
IMO, Namestnikov's another guy who's value was inflated by playing with elite players, who Yzerman then smartly sold high on before he would have to compensate him for that inflated value. The other two I can think of off the top of my head were Steve Downie and Cory Conacher.
That's a really good point because Holland did the same exact opposite with Abby and Helm. Inflated numbers from playing with elite players, then he signed them to ridiculous long term contracts.

As for Namestnikov, if he needs to be paired with elite talent to score, the Red WIngs are the wrong team for him He's not gonna get paid in free agency anyways with those kinds of numbers. Brett Connolly put up 22G 24A and got $3.5M. Best path forward for Namestnikov is to sign a cheap one year deal with Tampa and inflate the numbers again.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This has no barring on any moves that could be made just thought I would mention Slava Kozlov is Namestnikov's uncle. Kozlov is Evgeny Namestnikov's brother in law. From what I understand Namestnikov is pretty much American though he also spent time growing up in Russia. Yzerman actually knew Slava Namestnikov when he was growing up.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
That's a really good point because Holland did the same exact opposite with Abby and Helm. Inflated numbers from playing with elite players, then he signed them to ridiculous long term contracts.

IMO, the other factor there, which likely also points toward the guy making personnel decisions, is that in Tampa's case they had young guys that were making linear progress in development that helped make those guys expendable. That is also the exact opposite of what was going on in Detroit.

When Namestnikov was traded, Tampa had Point following up a surprising rookie season with a solid sophomore one and Gourde putting in a solid rookie season. For Conacher, they had Killorn also putting up a decent rookie season, and guys like Palat and Johnson getting called up and looking NHL ready. All of whom continued to improve and climb up the depth chart.

In Detroit on the other hand...

I think when you look at the influx of questionable contracts, you have to wonder how much of that was done as a side effect to the absolute trainwreck the post-Lidstrom "youth movement" became, and then you have to wonder who is at fault for that as well.

After the 2013 playoff run, Holland uncharacteristically and willingly deleted a veteran D from his roster and didn't sign any on the UFA market as they thought the late season addition of DeKeyser and the "emergence" of Kindl, Smith and Lashoff during the previous season/playoffs had them on the right track. Almost a 3rd of the way into the next season, DeKeyser is dealing with his 2nd longterm injury in barely 8 months at the NHL level, Kindl and Smith are back in Babcock's doghouse and Lashoff is proving to be the fringe NHL bottom pair plug that he turned out to be. All of a sudden, the guy that's barely forming a passable top pair with Kronwall gets a hefty 6 year extension... Holland then went into the UFA market that summer looking to back the brinks truck up to Matt Niskanen's residence for 7 years, before settling on giving Kyle Quincey a raise. Dekeyser has yet to, and probably never will make the impact that was projected when he was signed and the other promising guys from then are out of the league or still in it but probably shouldn't be.

Then, in the same season Ericsson got his extension, the Red Wings had an unexpected youth movement at forward as well. They started that year with too many forwards (especially after bringing back Cleary at the last minute) and put Nyquist in GR and Tatar in the pressbox. By the time the season ended, Nyquist was lighting it up at a 40G/season pace, Tatar was producing in a top 6 role, Sheahan was producing in a 3C role, Glendening pretty much locked down the 4C spot, hell even Joakim Andersson had shown some improvement over the previous year, Tomas Jurco looked like he was going to be a talented winger and even Landon Ferraro had found a role on the 4th line. Meanwhile guys like Emmerton, Tootoo, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, Eaves, and even infamous deadline rental Legwand had either been moved down the line-up, into the pressbox, down to GR or out of the organization completely. Similar to how Holland handled the defense the previous offseason, he made more subtractions on offense to make room for the young guys and didn't sign any free agents other than Dan Cleary. Despite some of those young players struggling the next season, Holland continued the next offseason with really only swapping Weiss for Richards, leaving a spot open for Pulkkinen and bringing back Cleary for the locker room. However, similar to Ericsson's extension by the time they'd gotten to November a lot of those young guys were regressing or in Jurco's case a new coaches doghouse, on top of Franzen pretty much being done and rumors of Datsyuk playing his last NHL season. Then boom, the guy that pot 23 goals the year before that and who Datsyuk apparently actually liked playing with gets a hefty and questionable extension. In some ways, all of those young guys, with the exception maybe being Glendening, failed to live up to the hype built in 13-14 and within the next 2 years, Holland would be extending Abdelkader and Helm and signing Nielsen long term.

Mrazek fits into that failed youth movement as well, but obviously without any real contract consequences, other than maybe his own ending up causing them to have to make a decision on him when he was still eligible to become an RFA. But I think it's also notable that Mrazek is the only goalie to attain any sort of regular NHL level employment to come out of the Red Wings system in the 10 years since Howard stole the starting job from Osgood....

To me the panic signings/extensions were a reaction to the inability to solidly fill roster spots from within. There's probably a lot of hands in that with scouting, coaching, training, etc. but at the end of the day Holland was the one who presided over all of those individuals. It's peculiar to me that about 95% of Hollands bashing is based on cap management and bad contracts and very little of that remaining 5% goes to the teams inability to develop young players to supplement their aging core or build for the future until it was too late.

Knowing that Yzerman is probably pretty similar to Holland in terms of his patient approach, valuation of veterans and free agents, etc., I can only hope he brought with him whatever he used to find a pretty steady supply of forward depth both in the mid-late rounds of the draft and outside of it. I'm talking the Point's, Johnson's, Gourde's, Palat's, and even Conacher's and Namestnikov's of the world. Having that steady influx of forward depth allowed guys to become expendable (Downie, Lecavalier, Drouin, Conacher, Namestnikov, etc.) so they could be traded to fill holes where Yzerman maybe wasn't as great at bringing guys up (mainly on D...). I mean, the Conacher and Downie trades gave the Lightning their two most recent starting goalies and both of those forwards haven't been NHL regulars for YEARS. And Namestnikov and Drouin brought in two top 4 Dmen without hurting them up front whatsoever. This negated the need to use the UFA market for anything other than veteran plugs for the bottom of the line up. That is also the complete opposite of things under Holland where they hoped their needs could be filled every July on the free agent market.

That said, I guess time will tell whether that had more to do with Yzerman or Murray/Cooper/etc.

Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad