Do you think McDavid is having the best season of the 2000s or the new divisions are the reason?

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Why are we not seeing this with the other top players? I've heard this, but it should apply to the rest of the elite guys.
We all know he's the best player in the league, it could easily just be that he is better at taking advantage of this situation than other players in the league.

At the end of the day 1.82 points/gp in a 56 game season =/= being able to do it in an 82 game season (which he has never done). And doing it while playing only 6 teams =/= being able to do it against 30 teams. It does not discredit what he is doing this season, because every other player also is only playing 56 games and can only play their division as well. But the point is that those 2 things make it very difficult to just assume that someone will do the same thing in a full (and normal) season.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Given that he's played exclusively in the Canada division, those points should probably be multiplied by .6 and rounded down.

Seriously is this even a question? NEW DIVISIONS YES

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
We all know he's the best player in the league, it could easily just be that he is better at taking advantage of this situation than other players in the league.

At the end of the day 1.82 points/gp in a 56 game season =/= being able to do it in an 82 game season (which he has never done). And doing it while playing only 6 teams =/= being able to do it against 30 teams. It does not discredit what he is doing this season, because every other player also is only playing 56 games and can only play their division as well. But the point is that those 2 things make it very difficult to just assume that someone will do the same thing in a full (and normal) season.

Yup. Every teams record, everything can be questioned.

Is there a president trophy winner, or is it an asterisk. Is all in the same story.

I think the thing about McDavid is, league scoring appears to be normal this year. He is just separated from everyone within and outside the division.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
The division lol. What a load of BS your peddling. Its Connor McDavid....Enough said.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Mcdavid was f***ing good coming off a major injury last season, why are we surprised he is better now with even more recovery time and entering his prime years?

Does he get 150 points In a normal season? Maybe not but I would not be shocked in the least to see him get 140. He is that dominant.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It can't be just format when no one else is even close. Every division has 3 or 4 teams I am sure McDavid could do just as much damage against so I really can't see a good reason to discredit what he is doing. Could he be scoring potentially less in a normal season? That is very possible, but there is really nothing factual to base that on, certainly nothing to suggest a significant difference. He has just improved as a player, even last season he did. I was expecting at least 130 point season this year regardless of the format.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Still waiting for the horde of people going 'North division sucks REEEEE' to provide some sort of statistical basis to support the idea.

But they won't because there isn't one.

Nor is there some sort of statistical basis to support the idea that he could produce at this rate in a 30 team league over 82 games.

oilchamp99

Jan 5, 2011
Edmonton
Nor is there some sort of statistical basis to support the idea that he could produce at this rate in a 30 team league over 82 games.
Leon Draisaitl produced at a higher rate last season then he is this season. So statistically there is basis that a high end player can produce at a higher or equivalent rate in a regular 82 game season.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Leon Draisaitl produced at a higher rate last season then he is this season. So statistically there is basis that a high end player can produce at a higher or equivalent rate in a regular 82 game season.

Only if you believe that players are robots and do not have peaks and valleys.

If McDavid is as good as his numbers are this year, he should be able to reproduce them under normal circumstances.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Nobody else is blowing up the North division so while the division or the shortened season may play a small small role, we should see other players doing similar things if it was simply the division. Someone posted some stats recently about the various division and the scoring rates in them, and the North looks pretty much the same as the other 3 and isn't the highest scoring division.

Reactions: Andrei79

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Nobody else is blowing up the North division so while the division or the shortened season may play a small small role, we should see other players doing similar things if it was simply the division. Someone posted some stats recently about the various division and the scoring rates in them, and the North looks pretty much the same as the other 3 and isn't the highest scoring division.

In comparison to a regular season the divisions have likely less than 5% to do with his current dominance, if any at all. I believe the next full season he will be scoring around 135-140.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
In comparison to a regular season the divisions have likely less than 5% to due with his current dominance, if any at all. I believe the next full season he will be scoring around 135-140.

We have been hearing this for four years.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
No we haven't, one of those seasons he was coming off of a major knee surgery. Nobody expected him to come back and score 130. Yeesh.
Daver has a major hard on hate for McDavid. Ignore him lol. Always has. One of the few guys names here that I can just remember when I see it

The goal posts will always change

MCavid will get to play much worse teams next year MORE, and that will also balance out with good teams. I say he gets an easy 120 points next year. No problem whatsoever, The roster will be improved as well from inernal and external additions.

I mean, Leon had 90 points in 57 games LAST YEAR

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
People were saying he would be scoring around 135-140 after coming off his sophomore 100pt season? I'm gonna need a source for that David.

That he was going to torch the league whatever the point total was. Like to see him do that over a full season and under normal conditions before accepting this season at face value.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That he was going to torch the league whatever the point total was. Like to see him do that over a full season and under normal conditions before accepting this season at face value.
I mean maybe not to the degree this season, but he is scoring at 0.18ppg higher than the next player since entering that league which is 15 points over 82 games. In today's NHL that is dominating the competition.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's both the division and likely the best season of the 2000's. It'll always have that tag of the being the division though - so hopefully he does it again next year.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

But you don't seem to have any issues taking Crosby's 1.61 PPG in 41 games during 2010-11 season at face value. Or the 1.68 PPG the year after in 22 games. :dunno:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We have been hearing this for four years.

His points per game has been increasing every season so next season it could decrease and he would still hit these numbers. Not saying it's a given he will but would you really be surprised?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
But you don't seem to have any issues taking Crosby's 1.61 PPG in 41 games during 2010-11 season at face value. Or the 1.68 PPG the year after in 22 games. :dunno:
Not to mention McDavid's has been over a far more condensed schedule so far less time to recover on average between games. Less travel of course, but there's arguments to both sides. Trying to discredit him is just silly and if it were so easy to do then everyone would be doing it this year yet only 1 player in the NHL besides McDavid is on pace for 120 points and that player was on pace for 127 last year.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not to mention McDavid's has been over a far more condensed schedule so far less time to recover on average between games. Less travel of course, but there's arguments to both sides. Trying to discredit him is just silly and if it were so easy to do then everyone would be doing it this year yet only 1 player in the NHL besides McDavid is on pace for 120 points and that player was on pace for 127 last year.

Plus they still travel through 4 different time zones, more than any other division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad