Do you think McDavid is having the best season of the 2000s or the new divisions are the reason?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
upload_2021-5-3_21-6-10.png

Guys I think it might be the weak division propping up his stats, look at how many North teams are on here :sarcasm:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Anyone who watched McDavid in the play in round last year should have known that he’d hit a new level this year. Divisional realignment or not, he was always going to take a step forward from his already generational play.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
or maybe because the north has the best offensive players by an absolute mile

Why does it have to be or? McDavid can still be the best offensive player while ALSO playing in the division with the weakest defenses. Would 1-5 fewer points, and a slightly lower PPG rate in a season against the whole league (or just a harder defensive division) really change his status as the best offensive player? Would it change Draisaitl's status as arguably the 2nd best? Or any of the other top scorers from the North?

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Yeah the avs suck as indicated by the standings
He lit them up last year.

Last 2 seasons they played the Avs he averages 1.6 ppg against them. over 130 point pace so no I'm not that worried that they would shut him down. Pretty confident he would keep scoring, especially when you consider how hes keeps improving his scoring pace from year to year

Reactions: twocubes

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
The NHL is lucky that he's not playing in the Pacific this year or he's be at 150 points by now. The Cali teams, Calgary, and Vancouver? My god he'd have 50 goals.

Reactions: twocubes

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Why does it have to be or? McDavid can still be the best offensive player while ALSO playing in the division with the weakest defenses. Would 1-5 fewer points, and a slightly lower PPG rate in a season against the whole league (or just a harder defensive division) really change his status as the best offensive player? Would it change Draisaitl's status as arguably the 2nd best? Or any of the other top scorers from the North?
Is the North statistically the weakest defensive division? Just glancing at other divisions there's way worse GA

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Is the North statistically the weakest defensive division? Just glancing at other divisions there's way worse GA

Over the last 2-3 years, the teams making up the North have been worse defensively, as a whole, than the teams making up every other division. The numbers this year don't prove otherwise.

Or can you provide any evidence that their GA this season is due to the defensive prowess of the teams in the North, and not due to the North also being pretty mediocre offensively, beyond a handful of elite players at the top?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Over the last 2-3 years, the teams making up the North have been worse defensively, as a whole, than the teams making up every other division. The numbers this year don't prove otherwise.

Or can you provide any evidence that their GA this season is due to the defensive prowess of the teams in the North, and not due to the North also being pretty mediocre offensively, beyond a handful of elite players at the top?
I don't know, I was asking you.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019

The Oilers are scoring, on average, one more goal per 10 games this season. Interesting hill to die on, you've been conveniently ignoring everyone who posts stats counter to your argument while shouting into the abyss the same things over and over. Just because you repeat something 100 times doesn't make it true pal.

Reactions: Crabapple

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV

West division has 4 teams in the bottom 10 for GF/G
North has 2.

West has 3 teams in the bottom 10 for GA/G
North has 2.

Avalanche play in the weaker division.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The Oilers are scoring, on average, one more goal per 10 games this season. Interesting hill to die on, you've been conveniently ignoring everyone who posts stats counter to your argument while shouting into the abyss the same things over and over. Just because you repeat something 100 times doesn't make it true pal.

Considering I'm saying the difference is maybe 1-5 points for the top guys in the North, compared to the rest of the NHL, 1 more goal per 10 games sounds about right. Seems like more evidence that I'm right. Still haven't seen a single piece of compelling evidence that suggests I'm wrong.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Considering I'm saying the difference is maybe 1-5 points for the top guys in the North, compared to the rest of the NHL, 1 more goal per 10 games sounds about right. Seems like more evidence that I'm right. Still haven't seen a single piece of compelling evidence that suggests I'm wrong.
If we are talking about 1-5 points per season, why even bother? That's a couple fortunate bounces over 56 games. McDavid is 26 points ahead of the next non-Oiler. Congratulations to Mackinnon for remaining >20 points behind McDavid?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
West division has 4 teams in the bottom 10 for GF/G
North has 2.

West has 3 teams in the bottom 10 for GA/G
North has 2.

Avalanche play in the weaker division.

What about the rest of the teams in each division?

The West also has 2 teams in the top 5 in GF/G, and 3 in the top 10. Toronto is 5th, behind both Colorado and Vegas, Edmonton is 9th, behind Minnesota.

The West has 2 teams in the top 5 in GA/G. Toronto is 8th, Edmonton is 9th.

The teams at the top of the West are significantly better than the teams at the top of the North, and have been for the last few years. I think that more than makes up for the slight differences at the bottom.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If we are talking about 1-5 points per season, why even bother? That's a couple fortunate bounces over 56 games. McDavid is 26 points ahead of the next non-Oiler. Congratulations to Mackinnon for remaining >20 points behind McDavid?

Because pretending there is zero impact from playing in the North is intellectually dishonest, and seems like something that might be discussed in a thread talking about the potential impact of playing in separate divisions? And, with it only probably being a minor bump to their production, why are so many North fans clamoring to pretend there's zero benefit? He's having a great season, and it has a strong case to be the best offensive season in the last 20+ years, but there's also some benefit from the division he plays in. Both can be true at the same time.

And, why are you trying to make this about MacKinnon? I honestly don't care if he wins a single individual trophy, because the Cup is the only focus for the Avs this year. To me, that's the measure of a great season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad