Do you think McDavid is having the best season of the 2000s or the new divisions are the reason?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ive seen a lot of the Canadian division games and its horrible. Habs, Sens and Flames are bottom 10 teams and Winnipeg isn't much better, especially defensively.

He's good, but he's not 2011 crosby or 65 goals Ovi.
The teams you mentioned are no worse than (and in many cases better than) Detroit, Buffalo, LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Columbus, Philly, New Jersey, and Chicago. Each division has at least 2 or 3 teams as bad or worse as the teams you mentioned.

I don't expect McDavid to hit 147 points in a full season, but I guarantee he tops 130+ and maybe flirts with 140. He's still blowing away last year's Art Ross winner who is playing on the same team and against the same teams. He's reached another level in his play.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
The division definitely helps, but he's just plain better than he's ever been, same for other players (will refrain from saying names so it doesnt turn into one of those topics).

Mcdavid is going to walk into the next "normal" season and drop 140 points. That's the reality the other divisions teams are going to have to accept when it happens.

Reactions: Kaizer

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Ive seen a lot of the Canadian division games and its horrible. Habs, Sens and Flames are bottom 10 teams and Winnipeg isn't much better, especially defensively.

He's good, but he's not 2011 crosby or 65 goals Ovi.

This is whats so funny about this forum, Crosby is given all this merit for his "what-if" and pace seasons. Someone like Matthews is given the exact opposite and posters fight tooth and nail to discredit him, and now Mcdavid, a proven 100 point scorer and clearly the best offensive player in the league, is being held in less regard than a "pace" season 10 years ago.

He's actually doing it. Many players have had hot streaks close to Crosbys, Kopitar and Kessel around the same time period for instance had ridiculous starts to seasons and tapered off, and more recently Kucherov.

For a place that despises Don Cherry, there is a lot of underlying nationalism going on with hockey opinions over this season.

I can't wait for the next excuses

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
People go on and on about the division, and while it's not great, is there a truly horrible team in it? Maybe Ottawa? If you take away their games versus Edmonton, they're a .500 team or close to that. He hasn't played ANA or BUF or NJ or PHI (terrible defense) all season. Three of those teams are in one division.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
This is whats so funny about this forum, Crosby is given all this merit for his "what-if" and pace seasons. Someone like Matthews is given the exact opposite and posters fight tooth and nail to discredit him, and now Mcdavid, a proven 100 point scorer and clearly the best offensive player in the league, is being held in less regard than a "pace" season 10 years ago.

He's actually doing it. Many players have had hot streaks close to Crosbys, Kopitar and Kessel around the same time period for instance had ridiculous starts to seasons and tapered off, and more recently Kucherov.

For a place that despises Don Cherry, there is a lot of underlying nationalism going on with hockey opinions over this season.

I can't wait for the next excuses

lol... for some reason Crosby's 2011 half season does seem to be widely viewed as some sort of a modern day Holy Grail of great hockey on this forum.

He was phenomenal, but I don't see what makes that season much if any more impressive than McDavid's current season. People talk about OTT and how much McDavid has owned that team - have people forgotten that Atlanta existed? Crosby scored ten points in three games against that team. There are always bad teams for great players to thrash.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This is the best McDavid has played in his career. I think the north division team defense is generally a bit lacking so that may have contributed to some points. But the one thing that I will say is for the last bit, the refs have basically called the regular season like the playoffs. The number of power plays the Oilers have got has went down and has probably cost McDavid more points. I am not sure in a regular season on game 65 against Florida, that the refs are putting their whistles in their pocket. Hes been incredible this season and looking for any kind of excuse to discredit him is wrong in my opinion. Hes head and shoulders better than everyone else this year.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
East 1219 GA / 410 games = 2.97 GA per game

North 1020 GA / 346 games= 2.94 GA per game

Central 1182 ga/ 416= 2.84 per game

west 1171 GA/ 402 = 2.92 per game

even if you take the difference between North and central,McDavid is still on a 141 pt pace.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Nikita Kucherov a couple years ago - 128 points. Crosby never hit that, Ovechkin never hit that. Pace is one thing, but it means more to actually do it. I think if this were a full season, McDavid would end up around there, but again, to actually do it over a full season is different. I think he could in the next couple seasons though.

Reactions: AndreRoy

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
The teams you mentioned are no worse than (and in many cases better than) Detroit, Buffalo, LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Columbus, Philly, New Jersey, and Chicago. Each division has at least 2 or 3 teams as bad or worse as the teams you mentioned.

I don't expect McDavid to hit 147 points in a full season, but I guarantee he tops 130+ and maybe flirts with 140. He's still blowing away last year's Art Ross winner who is playing on the same team and against the same teams. He's reached another level in his play.
Exactly. Listen as a Nucks fan it hurts to say but there is something different with him this season. He is the best player in the league by a landslide. Sure Drai is a stud but #97 and some seriously good goaltending by Smith has me thinking the Oilers will emerge from the North. It doesn't matter who he plays against, besides the North has some of the best goalies in the league and it hasn't stopped him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
His numbers can't really be compared against a normal season but as a fan watching it certainly looks like he's better than ever.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Yawn. Yet another Edmonton fan circle jerk. Like this couldn’t have been posted in any of the numerous other threads virtually fellating McD that already litter this forum.
You do know the person who created this thread isn’t an Oilers fan right?

The simpler option than coming in and complaining that a thread exists is just ignoring it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad