Trade Deadline thread (new title to the former ‘is Jarmo done’ thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I bet, not my last dollar but an extra dollar, that Jarmo gets Jeremy Bracco for a test run

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We miss Murray, his part-time availability notwithstanding. It meant we only needed to play Kukan or Harrington sparingly, instead of asking them to be part of the 6.

To the rest of your post, that's what I was thinking past night as well. Kukan and Harrington are depth d-men. There's a reason they're never been roster regulars, and it's not because Torts never gave the a chance. Del Zotto is a part-time player at this stage of his career, too. And Peeke just needs some more seasoning. Problem is, with the trades and Zach's injury Savard's decline, we're relying on them.

It's a bit of a perfect storm and Jarmo could have seen it coming. Although it's generally assumed he moved them to save cash and cap.

Gavrikov looks poor to me, also. I can't figure if his struggles are because of the team's struggles or if his struggles are contributing to the team's, but I had hoped to see more, I guess.

Maybe with Gavrikov you're seeing the "ugly as sin" "octopus" that somehow gets it done, that's what Torts said last year. His results are just fine. The team is getting caved in with chances and goals against but it isn't happening with Gavrikov on the ice. My eye test likes him, I usually see him as being in control, he knows what he can do.

Reactions: Viqsi

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Maybe with Gavrikov you're seeing the "ugly as sin" "octopus" that somehow gets it done, that's what Torts said last year. His results are just fine. The team is getting caved in with chances and goals against but it isn't happening with Gavrikov on the ice. My eye test likes him, I usually see him as being in control, he knows what he can do.

It probably helps that he hasn't scored many goals this year. Therefore, his cell phone usage is down.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I'd take Johansen back. He's the kind of player we need in terms of play style (playmaker, center, can play all situations), the issue is the same with him as when he left though in terms of compete level.

I don't expect him to return but I'd take him with 4 years left at 8m per.

Hard pass. He is nowhere near worth $8M to the CBJ. Maybe worth that to another team, with more forward talent and with less focus on defensive systems (oh wait, that is the CBJ this year!).
I get what you see. I just already saw that movie and don't want to see the second screening.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This team is super imbalanced right now, I don't think they're lacking in talent. Before even thinking about rebuilding/retooling, don't you think it would be a good idea for Jarmo to first try balancing the roster? Is anyone curious about how the team would play if they had one solid all-around center?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This team is super imbalanced right now, I don't think they're lacking in talent. Before even thinking about rebuilding/retooling, don't you think it would be a good idea for Jarmo to first try balancing the roster? Is anyone curious about how the team would play if they had one solid all-around center?

And how does one get that solid all-around center without re-tooling?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

We've been searching for that center for most of 20 seasons.
We thought we may have one in RyJo. We felt we really had one in PLD. We thought we had a veteran to lead PLD in Duchene. They.
Besides that we've always tried to bring over under the radar Euros (Espen K, Svitov), convert wingers (Domi), give 3rd lines guys a chance to step up (select anyone of probably 20 guys over the years).

Finding a top line C won't happen overnight. Maybe if we give up Seth (if other team feels confident they can resign him) or maybe a package centered around Z. But then at that point what does our blue line look like?

The giant circle of suck that is Columbus :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just like he had planned out to fire Torts in two days last week?

And Duchene was staying. Etc

Seth will be named captain this summer .. don’t think for a moment Jarmo hasn’t had this planned out .

Even if that’s true (which it probably isn’t) What does that have to do with anything? Being a captain doesn’t extend your contract.

Reactions: Monstershockey

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
And Duchene was staying. Etc

Even if that’s true (which it probably isn’t) What does that have to do with anything? Being a captain doesn’t extend your contract.
Sure sweetens the offer they can make him . And if we are going to start singling out post on predictions , your the last person that wants that fire .

Reactions: thebus88

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Kings fan here just wondering, if Zach Werenski would possibly be available, obviously depending on your guys playoff position in a month or so... Kings have a plethora of solid center prospects. Not sure if you guys are leaning more toward a rebuild or if you’d prefer a roster player back...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Sure sweetens the offer they can make him . And if we are going to start singling out post on predictions , your the last person that wants that fire .

does it? Plenty of people don’t want to be captain, or walk as captain.

I don’t make those types of predictions.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Seth will be named captain this summer .. don’t think for a moment Jarmo hasn’t had this planned out .

I have my doubts that there is willingness on either Jones' or CBJ's end to make him captain. He's not the leader of the team and doesn't have the nerves of steel that I'd look for in that role. If anything Seth has a tendency to get rattled when the team is off track. I want someone to steady the ship.

Foligno is the leader of the team and I expect he'll be re-signed after the expansion draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And how does one get that solid all-around center without re-tooling?

We've been searching for that center for most of 20 seasons.
We thought we may have one in RyJo. We felt we really had one in PLD. We thought we had a veteran to lead PLD in Duchene. They.
Besides that we've always tried to bring over under the radar Euros (Espen K, Svitov), convert wingers (Domi), give 3rd lines guys a chance to step up (select anyone of probably 20 guys over the years).

Finding a top line C won't happen overnight. Maybe if we give up Seth (if other team feels confident they can resign him) or maybe a package centered around Z. But then at that point what does our blue line look like?

The giant circle of suck that is Columbus :)

I'm talking about lower-hanging fruit. Like 36 year old Eric frikkin' Staal could make a big difference with this group. Just to have one strong center that could play some tougher lines and play with talented wingers.

Staal, by the way, was never available before because he didn't want to be traded and put every playoff team in need of a center on his NTC. He was blindsided when the Sabres traded for him. I'd expect he'd be more willing to get out of Buffalo.

Staal is just the first to come to mind.

A retained salary trade for Adam Henrique is another possibility.

Any responsible center (like Riley Nash) who can skate and play with talent (unlike Riley Nash) would make for a big marginal improvement in Columbus.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He is playing fairly good in KalPa. A very good PP playmaker. Im not sure if he has enough for NHL 5 on 5. Still youngish guy, only 23, so theres some hopes.

FWIW Bracco is one of those guys who is dogged by supposed character flaws. He looks like an NHL talent but there are stories going around about bad locker room stuff.

puckthat

Jul 19, 2019
I'm talking about lower-hanging fruit. Like 36 year old Eric frikkin' Staal could make a big difference with this group. Just to have one strong center that could play some tougher lines and play with talented wingers.

Staal, by the way, was never available before because he didn't want to be traded and put every playoff team in need of a center on his NTC. He was blindsided when the Sabres traded for him. I'd expect he'd be more willing to get out of Buffalo.

Staal is just the first to come to mind.

A retained salary trade for Adam Henrique is another possibility.

Any responsible center (like Riley Nash) who can skate and play with talent (unlike Riley Nash) would make for a big marginal improvement in Columbus.
Yes Eric Staal - The Wild center we should have gone after.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Don’t really know what type of deal that would be coming. It’s clearly a centers issue, which don’t get traded often.

probably means Torts. But again I don’t think it’s worth it if you’re just making Shaw or Larsen An interim.

video of above

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad