Do you see Kucherov having an argument for best Russian player of all time?

Can Kucherov be the best Russian player of all time once it's all said and done?

• Total voters

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
OV has that rare, unquantifiable Superman quality and the burden that comes with it that Kucherov has never had to shoulder. It might not be fair because Kuch didn’t build the team around him, but there’s still something to be said for being THE guy in town. I’d bet that most of Ovechkin’s Caps teams throughout his career wouldn’t have made the playoffs were he sidelined for a whole season, and if they did they would do it scratching and crawling.

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
kucherov is putting together an all-time great playoff resume—closer to sakic or crosby than ovechkin—and already has a very high regular season peak. all he's missing is a few prime seasons at the same level or close to it. another hart and ross plus a smythe this year and he is very much in the conversation. he will have done it all much more quietly than ovechkin or malkin or bure or fedorov but at some point the results speak for themselves.

Reactions: User9992

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
could he? sure. Will never catch Ovi in goals but points is possible. A couple more Harts, a Conn Smythe, another Cup and hes up there for sure.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
kucherov is putting together an all-time great playoff resume—closer to sakic or crosby than ovechkin—and already has a very high regular season peak. all he's missing is a few prime seasons at the same level or close to it. another hart and ross plus a smythe this year and he is very much in the conversation. he will have done it all much more quietly than ovechkin or malkin or bure or fedorov but at some point the results speak for themselves.

If by "few prime seasons" you mean a decade then yeah, that's "all" he's missing. OV is a 6x lindsay finalist, 5x hart finalist. Kucherov 1x each. 12x AST vs 4x (8-2 1st AST). OV has been putting up elite seasons for 15 years. Kucherov has had 4 elite seasons but he's already 28. OV's peak season is better and their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th best seasons all favour OV (and it's not close at all). Another hart and ross still isn't getting Kucherov anywhere close to OV.

Reactions: Caps8112 and Zuluss

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Maybe greatest Russian NHL player if Ovi didn’t exist. But some of the guys on that USSR team he has no chance of catching imo.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Maybe greatest Russian NHL player if Ovi didn’t exist. But some of the guys on that USSR team he has no chance of catching imo.

Kharlamov, Makarov, Fetisov, and Tretiak from the Soviet era teams are comfortably ahead.

Then you also have guys like Yakushev, Petrov, and Mikhailov as well who were pretty incredible and I’m not sure he’s ahead of those guys either if we’re talking historical place he’ll need to pass those guys first in a definitive way.

He’s probably pretty close or slightly ahead of the second group, but not the first group.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Well, he is still far below famous USSR stars and all of them were mentioned here so I'm gonna repeat names.
He is and will be below Ovie and Malkin who themselves are below big USSR names.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I'd say we can make an argument that he's just about tied with Geno as the best Russian playmaker to have played in the NHL during his prime, but I don't think we can say that he's definitively better than Ovechkin or Fedorov, and I still think I'd take Geno and Bure over Kuch.

That's not to diminish how incredible of a hockey player Kucherov is, he just faces some of the best players of all time as his competition.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Soviet teams had a winning record against NHL sides back when Makarov and others played, I suppose their game was tailored enough.
Ovi isn't best russian player. That's Kharlamov & Makarov. But they never played in NHL. In Makarov's case he entered the league already way past his prime.

how can you say this when they played their primes in inferior leagues? I’m sure if Kucherov played in the AHL throughout his career, he would look even more spectacular by comparison.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
You really think that USSR had a low tier league compared to NHL in those times?
Then in 1981 USSR team from that league comes to Canada and trashes Canada 8-1 at Canada's home ice.
So let me write you down some names who played for Canada: Gretzky, Bossy, Lafleur, Dionne, Borque, Coffey, Robinson, Gainey...
Number of USSR players in NHL? 0.

6 years later, the biggest finals in history of hockey. Canada wins 2 games out of 3 with 2 OT games and 3rd won 6-5.
And again, Canada played with the best they had.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Ovie was head to head with Crosby and ended up with an impressive trophy cabinet.
Kuch is head to head with McDavid, let's see how he does.

I doubt it though, since he only started to be good at age 24.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
how can you say this when they played their primes in inferior leagues? I’m sure if Kucherov played in the AHL throughout his career, he would look even more spectacular by comparison.

LOL. Soviet teams were torching Canadian and American teams in 70's and 80's. 80's Oilers had a negative record vs Soviet teams like CSKA and Dinamo Moscow.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
You really think that USSR had a low tier league compared to NHL in those times?
Then in 1981 USSR team from that league comes to Canada and trashes Canada 8-1 at Canada's home ice.
So let me write you down some names who played for Canada: Gretzky, Bossy, Lafleur, Dionne, Borque, Coffey, Robinson, Gainey...

6 years later, the biggest finals in history of hockey. Canada wins 2 games out of 3 with 2 OT games and 3rd won 6-5.
And again, Canada played with the best they had.

Soviets lived, trained and played together all year. Those Canadian players had like a 2 week training camp together. Kind of an important point.

Reactions: Caps8112

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He overtakes everyone else except for Ovi. Then again, he is the superior player if we consider the full game. It is a hard one, but I think Kuch takes it if he can do 2-3 more elite (hart trophy contention) seasons.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No.
Not by a long shot.
We need to find some 70+ year old Russians who've followed hockey closely to answer this, because they had the most exposure to the old Soviet teams.

• Kucherov has not surpassed Ovechkin or Malkin.
  • I'm not sure whether I take Kucherov over Datsuk. His defensive game and giveaway:takeaway ratio was insane.
  • Watched me a lot of Federov in the 90's. No way Kucherov is better than Federov. Dude could play any role at any position with the exception of goaltender and look like a superstar doing it.
  • Anyone who watched Molgilny play multiple games before he became he a head case would take peak Molgilny over Kucherov. If you actually went to the game and watched him, that was insane. He get Gretzky like vision when it came to positioning. Whenever he didn't have the puck it was very interesting to watch where he'd go and what he'd do when on either offense or defense. He was brilliant.
Then there's guys I can't really say for sure because I was too young to remember the 80's and I missed the 90's.
  • Valeri Kharlamov
  • Vaicheslav Fetisov (Was in the twilight of his career when he came to the North America.)
  • Vladimir Krutov
  • Alexander Maltsev
  • Igor Larionov (Came to North America when he was 30)
  • Vladislav Tretiak
I'm probably forgetting some names, but those are the ones that stand out.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
If he started piling up awards I'd say maybe, but it's hard to put him in that category. With McDavid, Bedard, Michkov, Wright, Matthews, MacKinnon etc in the league or entering it I highly doubt he picks up more individual awards.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Things would have to go perfectly, meaning multiple Stanley Cups, multiple Hart Trophies and a conn smythe or two. He'd also need to keep producing at the rate he is well into his thirties.

I wouldn't say it impossible but unlikely

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If he started piling up awards I'd say maybe, but it's hard to put him in that category. With McDavid, Bedard, Michkov, Wright, Matthews, MacKinnon etc in the league or entering it I highly doubt he picks up more individual awards.

Literally only one of those players you named are Russian.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I meant for the rest of his career he likely has no chance at individual hardware with all the young talent I listed coming into the league or already in the league.

We're comparing him to other Russians. Great deal of the best Russians of all time never even played in the NHL.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
We're comparing him to other Russians. Great deal of the best Russians of all time never even played in the NHL.

So does he need to leave the NHL in order to be better than them? The point is his legacy most likely stops growing if he doesn't win anything else in the NHL individually, unless he starts winning a bunch more cups. Other Soviets having been elsewhere doesn't have anything to do with their point.

Reactions: filinski77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad