Do you see Kucherov having an argument for best Russian player of all time?

Can Kucherov be the best Russian player of all time once it's all said and done?

• Total voters

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Since his breakout season in 2014-2015, Kucherov is:
  • 6th in goals (only Russian player ahead of him is Ovechkin).
  • 9th in assists
  • 4th in points
  • 3rd in Points Per Game.
  • 3 time NHL All-Star.
  • Art Ross, Ted Lindsay and Hart Trophy.
  • Stanley Cup Champion
  • First in Playoff points by a wide margin.
  • 4th in Playoff P/PG despite playing much, much more playoff games than his competition.
And it seems he's still going, and could still go for the foreseeable future. Of course, he's only ~500 games into his career, but could he have a case once it's all said and done?

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
i think not, but is he ever making a push for it. he is def entering into best of the best territory, regardless of nationaility.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
It's Ovi.

I think he will go down with the best argument for second though when it is all said and done

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Man there have been some elite guys from Russia,Kuch is one of them for sure...Unsure if he is the best just yet but its fun watching him

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Ovi isn't best russian player. That's Kharlamov & Makarov. But they never played in NHL. In Makarov's case he entered the league already way past his prime.

I agree that Kharlamov and Makarov are better all around offensive threats than Ovechkin.

Those two were certainly better at other aspects of hockey, but when it comes to goal scoring, they wouldn't be able to touch Gretzky or Ovechkin.

And don't forget that young Ovechkin is a very physically imposing player unlike Kharlamov and Makarov. His game is more tailored to the NHL, which after all, is the best hockey league in the world.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
He’s a damn good player but he’s not going to surpass Ovechkin.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
No. He's gonna have a tough time passing Mogilny, Fedorov and even Bure's numbers. They're not even the best, Ovi is the king.

Reactions: Gnome17

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I agree that Kharlamov and Makarov are better all around offensive threats than Ovechkin.

Those two were certainly better at other aspects of hockey, but when it comes to goal scoring, they wouldn't be able to touch Gretzky or Ovechkin.

And don't forget that young Ovechkin is a very physically imposing player unlike Kharlamov and Makarov. His game is more tailored to the NHL, which after all, is the best hockey league in the world.

Soviet teams had a winning record against NHL sides back when Makarov and others played, I suppose their game was tailored enough.

Reactions: User9992 and Lauro

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Best Russian NHL player? I'd say he has a chance although surpassing Ovechkin will be no easy feat and I'd also argue he still hasn't surpassed Bure

Best Russian player of all time? Even more unlikely

Reactions: User9992

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hard to compare guys who didn't play in the NHL or came over late in their careers, but I don't think he has much chance of passing Ovechkin. He could maybe pass Malkin and Fedorov.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He will never be considered greater than Ovechkin even if he were to have a good enough career to justify it. Ovechkin’s rocket wins and goal totals are just too legendary.

But on an somewhat unrelated note, I don’t see why Kucherov shouldn’t be considered just as good or possibly better than Patrick Kane when it’s all said and done. There’s really nothing Kane has done that Kucherov hasn’t, and Kucherov has more of his career left to add to the resume.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad