Do you prefer yards/points as the metric of a team’s unit ranking?

What is the better way to measure offense/defense?

• Total voters

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
For instance, the revered 2016 Broncos had the #1 ranked defense, but the Bengals actually allowed fewer points.

I also think back to 2010 when the Chargers yardage wise had the #1 ranked offense AND defense, but were not close in terms of points (Steelers defense, Patriots offense respectively were #1 that year).

Or the famous 1991 Eagles defense that was ranked #1 across the board in total defense, fewest passing yards, rushing yards, and total yards allowed? The Dome Patrol Saints actually led the league in fewest points allowed.

Similarly in 1992, the Cowboys had the NFL’s #1 ranked defense, but New Orleans again allowed the fewest points that year- in fact, the ‘92 version of the Dome Patrol had the #1 single season scoring defense of the 1990s.

Or offense, the 2009 Cowboys had the NFC's #2 ranked offense yardage wise, but were actually the lowest scoring NFC playoff team that year.

Or the 2003 Vikings having the #1 ranked offense yardage wise, but five teams scored more points (the #2 ranked offense yards wise, Kansas City, scored 68 more points than Minnesota that year)

This year- the Buffalo Bills are the #18 scoring defense, but #1 in fewest passing yards allowed.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I think yards are generally a better indicator of defensive prowess. Good defences will give up points if their offence turns over the ball or can't move it effectively from their half of the field. A defence that doesn't give up many yards is actively stopping the opposing offence.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think yards allowed are overrated. I prefer efficiency ratings (3rd down/4th down defense, red zone defense, etc.). But if forced to choose, it's easily points allowed for me.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Points, but the stat should carve out points allowed by the offense and special teams.

In fact, I'd love to see the record books redone to reflect a points-based metric.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Points, but the stat should carve out points allowed by the offense and special teams.

In fact, I'd love to see the record books redone to reflect a points-based metric.
I'd love to see some kind of metric adjusted by starting field position to be honest. If a team turns it over on the 25 their defence is almost always going to surrender points in that situation so they should be rated by how many more or fewer points they allow than expected.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'd love to see some kind of metric adjusted by starting field position to be honest. If a team turns it over on the 25 their defence is almost always going to surrender points in that situation so they should be rated by how many more or fewer points they allow than expected.
I think, for the most part, those kinds of things even out. Every defense deal with them to some degree, but for sure, if you have Nathan Peterman as your QB, your defense is going to have a much tougher job keeping points off of the board.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I only care about what decides the winner....points.

If you said I could have the Patriots give up 1,000 yards a game but only 10 points a game...I'd take it in a heartbeat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->