Do you like this team?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think we could lose every game from now to the end and still make playoffs no. Actually we need a few more wins lol

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The leafs have loss 5 in a row. Before that the won 9 of 10. Before that they loss 6 of 7. Before that they won 7 of 8.

They’re just all over the place. Completely inconsistent.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think we could lose every game from now to the end and still make playoffs no. Actually we need a few more wins lol
I like some of this team. Bottom 6 i do not like at all. Good to see Brooksie bang in another one. He’s so much better than Engvall it’s ridiculous he has to sit out for that waste of fresh are.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Think we have a good balance forward group - one of the best since the Sundin era.

But questionable goaltending will again be our down-fall.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Again it’s goaltending
If all of our other players combined don’t make a dent of a difference, why don’t we just spend half the cap on goaltending instead of 4 forwards?

What everyone here calls “the other teams goalie was better than ours” I call “the other teams players had better finish than ours”.

It’s more of a finish problem than a goaltending problem.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If all of our other players combined don’t make a dent of a difference, why don’t we just spend half the cap on goaltending instead of 4 forwards?

What everyone here calls “the other teams goalie was better than ours” I call “the other teams players had better finish than ours”.

It’s a sv% problem whatever way you slice it. Campbell aside, everyone else is going in the tank

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

This is almost always the narrative that gets pushed in here after a game:

Leafs outscore the other team: Our players deserved those goals, other team's goalie had no chance, no mention of our goalie's performance

Leafs get outscored: Their players didn't deserve those goals, our goalie is to blame and should have saved every shot, their goalie went into "god mode"

It's almost formulaic at this point.

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
No I don't like this team. I never bought into the (laughable) hype when they things were going well in the inferior Canadian division. When was the last time a Canadian team won the Cup?

No they are still wildly inconsistent with poor goaltender,and an average defense. They still don't have a #1 d-man.They have too many old guys on cheap contracts who will likely tire out in the playoffs. Dubas needs to be fired for trading the first rd pick for a 2% chance at winning the cup. This team needs a rebuild. The having 4 guys taking up 1/2 the cap experiment has got to end.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Again it’s goaltending

At times it’s been goaltending - but it’s also a very inconsistent team whose effort level is feast or famine. The fact that you can circle an Ottawa game or the Vancouver series as a trap game days out means we kind of have a good sense of their psychology and preparedness. It’s not impressive.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
No I don't like this team. I never bought into the laughable hype when they were wining games in the inferior Canadian division. When was the last time a canadain team won the Cup?

No they are still wildly inconsistent with poor goaltender,and average defense. They have too many old guys on cheap contracts who will likely tire out in the playoffs. Dubas needs to be fired for trading the first rd pick for a 2% chance at winning the cup. This team needs a rebuild. The having 4 guys taking up 1/2 the cap experiment has got to end.

upload_2021-4-21_11-21-33.png

:help::help::help:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No I don't like this team. I never bought into the laughable hype when they were wining games in the inferior Canadian division. When was the last time a canadain team won the Cup?

No they are still wildly inconsistent with poor goaltender,and average defense. They have too many old guys on cheap contracts who will likely tire out in the playoffs. Dubas needs to be fired for trading the first rd pick for a 2% chance at winning the cup. This team needs a rebuild. The having 4 guys taking up 1/2 the cap experiment has got to end.
This post reeks frustration. I concur everyones frustrated. Thing is about this post is rebuild. You shouldn’t get a free pass on spewing that stinking word on our page lol. Seriously though,lackey team. Low intensity team.It’s been a issue and we have passengers on this team going through the motions.
Where is the jam we were supposed to get and the leadership we were supposed to get. Not my cup of tea type of team. I would scratch,Thornton,Engvall and replace them with Foligno,Anderson. Demote useless Engvall to the Marlies and keep a guy that cares in Anderson. Anderson is so much better and this emotionless thing plays. Dubas should be fired for signing Engvall alone. The guy steals money useless piece of garbage. I have never hated a player. I hate this guy. Stupid looking lump

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
It’s a sv% problem whatever way you slice it. Campbell aside, everyone else is going in the tank
Funny that, while facing our "utterly elite" fourty-mil-four dynamic offence, the opposing goalies have had a .940 save percentage against us these past 5 losses.

When you have to repeatedly, over and over again, keep saying "what can you say? Their goalie played great." At some point, it's a FINISH problem.

Blaming it on goaltending is the easy way out, because we have very little invested in it cap wise. So it's the scapegoat. It hurts too much to acknowledge that the root of the problem are those we invested so much of our cap space in.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
At times it’s been goaltending - but it’s also a very inconsistent team whose effort level is feast or famine. The fact that you can circle an Ottawa game or the Vancouver series as a trap game days out means we kind of have a good sense of their psychology and preparedness. It’s not impressive.
Goaltending and useless non productive bottom 6 then. Top of the lineup just carries these pretenders

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Funny that, while facing our "utterly elite" fourty-mil-four dynamic offence, the opposing goalies have had a .940 save percentage against us these past 5 losses.

When you have to repeatedly, over and over again, keep saying "what can you say? Their goalie played great." At some point, it's a FINISH problem.

Blaming it on goaltending is the easy way out, because we have very little invested in it cap wise. So it's the scapegoat. It hurts too much to acknowledge that the root of the problem are those we invested so much of our cap space in.
Tavares is rocking. Willy boom right at it. Marner and Matthews, floating for sure. Uninspired and soft as doughnuts, which coincidentally is what they usually put up lately 5 games there. Matthews is dragging the line down. Marner is mad and frustrated

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I was being slightly hyperbolic when I came up with the 2% chance of winning the cup, but I'm not far off according to your odds...

98% vs 90% chance of NOT winning the cup according to your posted Vegas (assumed) odds.

The playoff round(s) if played against other Canadian teams is meaningless to me. This entire Covid season has been a dog & pony show for this division. It''s like watching the CFL on steroids with that ridiculous schedule.

Last edited:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I was being slightly hyperbolic when I came up with the 2% chance of winning the cup, but I'm not far off according to your odds...

98% vs 92% chance of NOT winning the cup according to your posted Vegas (assumable) odds.

The playoff rounds if played against other Canadian teams is meaningless to me. They all suck.

What exactly is your argument? You should never go for it? Because even the best teams have a 10-15% chance of winning.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
We have better players for bottom six. The coach doesn’t play them. He needs to grow a set and bench some players and replace them.
I thought it was all goaltending? So doing things like switching Thornton for Anderson will raise our save percentage up to .920%?

You don't really think that shuffling some 4th liners around is the cure for our problems, do you? Why have we given half our cap to 4 forwards when it's 4th line juggling that leads to wins/losses?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought it was all goaltending? So doing things like switching Thornton for Anderson will raise our save percentage up to .920%?

You don't really think that shuffling some 4th liners around is the cure for our problems, do you? Why have we given half our cap to 4 forwards when it's 4th line juggling that leads to wins/losses?

Some of our problems start way up at the top of the food chain. The overpassing, odd shot selection, inability to attack a heavily defended slot, terrible special teams and lazy zone entries exhibited by the first line are massive problems. The puck possession, constant retreating and regrouping and getting boxed out of areas remains a problem. The defense are pinching the zone too aggressively at times resulting in massive turnovers every game. It’s not really a bottom six issue exclusively when our Big 2 are just playing chaos hockey at a time when they should be fine tuning what works and getting crisper in execution.

It’s an eye test problem and a smell test problem.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
What exactly is your argument? You should never go for it? Because even the best teams have a 10-15% chance of winning.
My 2% chance is closer to the truth. Not playing the American based teams has shielded them from being exposed and getting even more criticism. Dubas should NOT have gone all-in but he's selfishly fighting for his own job. If you want to play the game of having 4 players taking up 1/2 the cap you need to keep that blue chip prospect pipleline FILLED. Bringing in over-the- hill bums on minimum contracts every year is not going to work.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
We have better players for bottom six. The coach doesn’t play them. He needs to grow a set and bench some players and replace them.

What do you think our bottom 6 should be when we're healthy?

i believe our lineup should be this.

12-34-16
89-91-16
71-15-11
97-19-65

I would probably put nash in the place of thornton as well, but we'll have to see how he is when he's healthy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s really easy to scapegoat the goofy goalie we got for a 3rd round pick 10 days ago or Michael Hutchinson or a declining and hurt Freddie or a cooling off Campbell as the weak link, but the commonality is this a “elite skill puck possession” has also struggled to maintain effort levels over 60 minutes to generate a margin of goal support - and it’s not exclusively when the bottom lines are out there or the bottom pairing D is out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->