Do you have an illegal curve on your blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Hmm, i'd be interested to know if i am using an illegal (according to NHL rules) blade. Anyone want to send me a dime through the post so i can find out? :sarcasm: How big is a dime? We might have a coin over here of a similar size. If not, i'm using an Innovative tapered Kovalev blade, maybe someone else knows if they are legal or not.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I do, but that's because it's been left out in the rain a few times and warped quite a bit. It was legal untill that happened. I need to get a new one...

55 Moose

Jan 9, 2006
www.kchockey.com
Some sticks are illegal when you get them (maybe Thornton?) but most are not. It's only when you get out the old heat gun that you would have a problem. I know for a fact that about 20% of my league uses deep curves, but who really cares? The only real advantage is toe-dragging someone. When it comes to roofing a shot from close quarters you don't need that curve to do it. It also pretty much nullifies a good slap shot, not that it's important to have one to score. :)

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
I have the Thornton curve on my stick and I can pretty much assure you that it is illegal even without measuring. I could use a semicircle in my beer league and nobody would care.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Drury (Inno Kovalev) and Modano, and their "clones" are the only legal retail curves that I am aware of. The Iggy might be, but I didn't think it was. Shanny, Lidstrom, Sakic, Yzerman/Gaborik are definately illegal. So most retail curves are actually illegal.

I use Drury and clones mostly so they aren't, but I do switch every once in a while to other illegal curves.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
EazyB97 said:
Drury (Inno Kovalev) and Modano, and their "clones" are the only legal retail curves that I am aware of. The Iggy might be, but I didn't think it was. Shanny, Lidstrom, Sakic, Yzerman/Gaborik are definately illegal. So most retail curves are actually illegal.

I use Drury and clones mostly so they aren't, but I do switch every once in a while to other illegal curves.
the nnhlers used those retail patterns for at least the first two years of synergy existence, because they were all that easton would make, because the original molds to make the patterns were very expensive and they wanted to be sure it would take off before making more. alot of players used the sakic, and still do. i believe all the retail patterns aside from the yzerman (easton patterns anyway) are legal. they are all no more than a half inch - which is the legal limit....the dime is more of a estimation. they are all listed as half inch or less exept stevies 9/16 - which would obviously be slightly over. if youve seen an yzerman, thats how extreme it has to be to be illegal. if not, how come no one got called fror having an illegal one piece in the nhl for the first few years of synergy's? what about youth hockey? they all use the easton patterns, when have you seen someone get an illegal stick penalty in youth hockey of any level? almost all retail patterns are legal, it would be Pejorative Slured for them not to be.

as for the previous post about thinking the iggy was illegal...dude, that thing is about as flat as they come. its not even close. i bet the only illegal ones are the yzerman, and maybe the thorton and coffey. leopold mission? thats about it.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The Coffey Sherwood sticks are most definitely illegal, and I always get warned by sports shops guys not to buy them if I'm playing league hockey.

However, my CCM Tacks stick is probably the most rule-compliant blade out there. Perfectly flat.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
bleedgreen said:
the nnhlers used those retail patterns for at least the first two years of synergy existence, because they were all that easton would make, because the original molds to make the patterns were very expensive and they wanted to be sure it would take off before making more. alot of players used the sakic, and still do. i believe all the retail patterns aside from the yzerman (easton patterns anyway) are legal. they are all no more than a half inch - which is the legal limit....the dime is more of a estimation. they are all listed as half inch or less exept stevies 9/16 - which would obviously be slightly over. if youve seen an yzerman, thats how extreme it has to be to be illegal. if not, how come no one got called fror having an illegal one piece in the nhl for the first few years of synergy's? what about youth hockey? they all use the easton patterns, when have you seen someone get an illegal stick penalty in youth hockey of any level? almost all retail patterns are legal, it would be Pejorative Slured for them not to be.

as for the previous post about thinking the iggy was illegal...dude, that thing is about as flat as they come. its not even close. i bet the only illegal ones are the yzerman, and maybe the thorton and coffey. leopold mission? thats about it.
Have you measured them on the official blade tool? I don't trust Easton's measurements. As a minor hockey coach my team was called on it twice before the rule was taken out. Both on Recchi curves. Alot of places have taken out the Illegal curve rule and most kids buy blades by which one is the biggest. It would be Pejorative Slured for them to sell products that don't sell, and for the most part, an illegal curve outsells a legal curve at the younger levels. I have been told by shop members that the only legal curves are the Drury and Modano (ones that have a stick guage). This was before the Iggy came out. The reason nobody called them at the start is the same reason Ilya Kovalchuk isn't called every shift. It's still a risk and most consider it poor sportsmanship. They can say it's a 1/2" curve, but it depends on where they measure it from. It's the same thing with the stock lies.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
bleedgreen said:

exactly right..

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Most Canadian minor hockey league's don't use an illegal curve rule. CCM Stuart is their Modano clone, and is legal.

raskolnikov

Sep 13, 2005
LI
what about the crosby curve? i have one of them (as well as a fedorov franklin and yzerman) and it is the most flat of them all

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
EazyB97 said:
Most Canadian minor hockey league's don't use an illegal curve rule. CCM Stuart is their Modano clone, and is legal.

Wasn't aware of that, i know USA Hockey was thinking about taking the "illegal curve" rule out this year because most sticks were already illegal anyway but they decided to leave the rule in.

roryb

Jul 20, 2005
The Crosby curve not being one of the most warped isn't unusual. He is known for having a fairly straight blade for backhands....like all the best players haha.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
do you think it would be to possible to buy a custom made curve for myself..lol.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
EazyB97 said:
Have you measured them on the official blade tool? I don't trust Easton's measurements. As a minor hockey coach my team was called on it twice before the rule was taken out. Both on Recchi curves. Alot of places have taken out the Illegal curve rule and most kids buy blades by which one is the biggest. It would be Pejorative Slured for them to sell products that don't sell, and for the most part, an illegal curve outsells a legal curve at the younger levels. I have been told by shop members that the only legal curves are the Drury and Modano (ones that have a stick guage). This was before the Iggy came out. The reason nobody called them at the start is the same reason Ilya Kovalchuk isn't called every shift. It's still a risk and most consider it poor sportsmanship. They can say it's a 1/2" curve, but it depends on where they measure it from. It's the same thing with the stock lies.
i have a hard time believing the recchi is illegal! that would be the curve i would tell my kids to get! simple mid with a decent toe - nothing crazy at all. i believe you if you say they actually measured - but i find it shocking a recchi is illegal. i agree with the statement companies use generalities on info like that, they are often way off on the lies, as you say.i just dont see how the drury pitching wedge is legal, but the simple mid recchi isnt. around here in CO, it really isnt a big curve thing - the kids here all use modo's and recchi's - maybe iggy. very rarely do i see the kids (i ref and coach) use the lidstroms, yzermans, and thortons - thats mostly adults who cant get the puck up. i believe you if you say they measured, but i wouldve bet my life on the recchi being legit.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
coyotesfan92 said:
how do you know if a curve is illegal. how do you slide a dime under?

Just match yours with Valeri Bure's stick. If yours is anywhere close to his then it's illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad