do you have a dominant side?

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I've been skating for a while, and I prefer tight turns on the backhand rather than the forehand (same with crossovers)

and also better going leftwards during backwards lateral skating

I can doth both sides, just feels less forced that way...

u guys?

hitmanjat

Oct 21, 2010
I've been skating for a while, and I prefer tight turns on the backhand rather than the forehand (same with crossovers)

and also better going leftwards during backwards lateral skating

I can doth both sides, just feels less forced that way...

u guys?

Yes except mine is the opposite side, i prefer tight turns on the forehand. It drives me nuts, but only practice will make it better

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
I prefer tight turns on my backhand (right side shooter), but I did break my left ankle in my teens, so I don't have quite the same flexibility in that ankle.

So yes, I am Zoolander...

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Everyone (even the pros) have a dominant side. The trick is to continually practice until your strong and weak side are about even.

I turn better counter clockwise, and turn backwards better clockwise. I've been working hard to close the gap, but my crossovers are still a little choppy going clockwise.

I've spent a ton of time working on my stopping, and I'm now equally comfortable hockey stopping in both directions, although my crossover starts are better when I stop on my strong side (right foot forward)

hitmanjat

Oct 21, 2010
Everyone (even the pros) have a dominant side. The trick is to continually practice until your strong and weak side are about even.

I turn better counter clockwise, and turn backwards better clockwise. I've been working hard to close the gap, but my crossovers are still a little choppy going clockwise.

I've spent a ton of time working on my stopping, and I'm now equally comfortable hockey stopping in both directions, although my crossover starts are better when I stop on my strong side (right foot forward)

I am in the exact same boat.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Noobman's right. Everyone, including the professionals, has a dominant side. Overcoming it is one of the challenges of becoming a fluid, well rounded player. Even when you have overcome it, you will still always have a side you prefer, but being able to do everything with (near) equal efficiency is the aim.

For me personally, I like taking my tight turns on the backhand (might just be because I worked on my backhand obsessively when I was young), but you can't really tell the difference between my dominant and weak side except for the fact that I clearly prefer going counter-clockwise in my backwards cross-overs. I had two left ankle surgeries by the time I finished my college hockey days and feel precarious going clockwise backwards. Occasionally (very rarely) I'll lose an edge when all my weight is on that left ankle at top speed going forward as well, but for the most part, my skating is and always has been the strongest aspect of my game. Front wise, I can't tell you which way I prefer anymore. I've done so many thousands of russian/circle drills going both ways with a puck over the years that I just don't know anymore. I guess I prefer being on my backhand here as well.

I actually prefer to shoot off "the wrong" foot though. Most right handed shots like to shoot across their body and transfer their weight into the left foot, but sometime after my first surgery, I started shooting off my right foot on the rush a lot and actually, as I got better and better at it, I find that it's a bit deceptive for the goalies and your release can be a lot quicker this way.

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
Everything right over left (cross overs) or turning to my right and stopping with the right foot forward. Anything else I look like an idiot out there. Even my 8 year old son is better at left over right than I am, but when he says anything thing, I just drop my gloves and ask him if he wants to go pretty boy. :laugh:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yes for a while I could only stop or do crossovers one way. I still have a stronger side but always try and work on it. At least in games now I don't stop or turn only in one way anymore.

One of the most fun things I found to work on was stopping transitioning to backwards C-cuts (way more fun than just doing Herbies) and also doing heel turns/cuts. I love the sound of the blade digging into the ice.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
Skating-wise absolutely none.

Stopping-wise. I can do both but I'm embarrassed to say but yeah. my right side is stronger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad