Do You Guys Think that Goalie Name Taunting has Any Kind of Effect on Goaltenders?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Hockey players are people too. If they're having a bad day, and their game suffers a bit for it, I can imagine the taunts might potentially make things worse. People act like athletes are supernatural and don't get affected by the happenings of the mortal realm.

It has little to do with mental fortitude. Muhammad Ali was as strong an individual as I've ever seen and even he had some subpar performances.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
I think it has ZERO effect. But it sure as hell fun for the fans thinking that it does.....

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I went to the Beanpot and Hockey East finals this year - the college kids do a LOT more chanting than the Bruins regulars.

My favorite chant was when the opposing goalie took off his mask to take a slug from his water bottle: "Ugly goalie! Ugly goalie!" followed by cheers when he put it back on. Conversely, when your team's goalie took his mask off: "Sexy goalie! Sexy goalie!" followed by an "awwwww" when he put it back on.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Really, it has no effect whatsoever. Nothing the fans do has any impact on the outcome of the game. The main reason why home ice is such an advantage is due to favourable line matchups and, to a lesser extent, being familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the boards and ice surface unique to your home arena.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've only seen it affect a goalie once. That was Ron Hextall in game 2 of the first round in 1994. The goalie was already rattled after allowing 6 in game 1. He then allowed 6 in game 2 and looked even worse when the crowd was doing the chant.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Only if they have the mental fortitude of a 3 year old.

Only heard it once but best one I heard after about the 6th GA was "It's all your fault! It's all your fault!"

RedLeaf099*

Only time it maybe works is if the goalie gives up a weak goal in the opening few minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad