Do You Guys Think that Goalie Name Taunting has Any Kind of Effect on Goaltenders?

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
99% of the time it probably does nothing.

I did see Roloson lose his **** one time in Winnipeg in a blow out. When a player is already on edge (i.e. screaming at the ref after a goal), then being taunted might actually work. IIRC him and Stamkos got ejected from that game. It was amazing.

I don't think this was the game you were talking about but this was another game between TB and WPG. By far the best goalie taunt chant I've ever seen haha.

Retail1LO*

Hextall and Belfour.

The NHL needs more goaltenders like that. In fact, if all 30 teams had goaltenders like Hextall and Belfour, the NHL would be an infinitely more exciting league.

Infinitely.

Goalies that don't take **** from no one. My all time favorite type of NHL player.

lboogie42*

These guys get paid big bucks for a reason. They're professionals. They wouldn't let something like crowd taunting get to them. And if they do, chances are their time playing professional hockey won't be too long.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Roy against Detroit was in Montreal, so I guess players can hear it depending on the context. For the most part though, I would imagine all it does is add to the atmosphere of a game, it doesn't do anything to the guys on the ice. Like in Game 5 against the Rangers last year, the Kings crowd started chanting we want the Cup, and as it was happening, Martinez scored to win the Cup. I doubt the players heard it and said, oh, ok, now we can score.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I remember when goalie taunting use to be done only by rival teams. The Devils & Rangers had been doing it for years. Now it's literally ever team and every goal against.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I doubt it works. These are NHLers. I think it's more for the fans' entertainment.

I don't know if I'm deaf, completely unobservant, just sit in the wrong section (although I did have tickets last year in the balcony behind the "Bruins shoot x1" corner), or if the Bruins just completely sucked last season (and, as a fan, I definitely say they did suck), but I didn't hear too many goalie taunts - even in a game where our backup goalie (who is now in the KHL) shut out the Devils 3-0.

Besides, for some goalies, particularly Rask, it's easy enough to pretend that they're cheering for you even when they're not. "Tuuuuuuuuk" sounds a lot like "booo". And we chant Tuukka's name a LOT more than the opposing goalie - a good save will often be met with the organ playing the "Here we go *team name* here we go" song, with the fans being quiet until the *CLAP CLAP* part coms along, and the fans chant "Tuu kka" instead of clapping.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Roy against Detroit was in Montreal, so I guess players can hear it depending on the context. For the most part though, I would imagine all it does is add to the atmosphere of a game, it doesn't do anything to the guys on the ice. Like in Game 5 against the Rangers last year, the Kings crowd started chanting we want the Cup, and as it was happening, Martinez scored to win the Cup. I doubt the players heard it and said, oh, ok, now we can score.

I doubt he was that upset about people taunting him, and more upset with the fact they scored 9 goals against in and he was still in nets. Goalies hate it when they clearly are playing horrible but they have to stay in net.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
The only time I've ever had opposing fans 'chant' my name/number was when I was playing Lacrosse(not as a goalie). I made a few big hits and the other teams fans thought I was playing dirty(which I was in all honesty), so they started pointing at me and chanting my number in anger so the ref would notice.

I personally loved it. It fueled me and made me play even harder.

Has the chanting of the other goalies name been going on for quite awhile? The first time I heard it was during the Stars/Oilers playoff series in the early 2000's when the Oiler fans chanted 'BELLLLLLL-FOUR'.

Doubt we were the first ones though.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
It does have an effect.

but of course all goalies will act like they enjoy it or that they don't even hear it.

goalie interviewed after a win : the atmosphere was great. i had a blast
goalie interviewed after a loss: I don't hear the fans when i play (yeah right)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Hextall and Belfour.

The NHL needs more goaltenders like that. In fact, if all 30 teams had goaltenders like Hextall and Belfour, the NHL would be an infinitely more exciting league.

Infinitely.

Goalies that don't take **** from no one. My all time favorite type of NHL player.

I agree 100%

The goalie is a bland "character" in hockey, and when you consider that hockey "characters" are more bland than golfers and tennis players combined, that's pretty bad.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I remember being at this one game back in 2010, Cristobal Huet was in net for Chicago and this one guy in the crowd kept letting out this really drawn out, obnoxious "Crrrriiiiistoballll" for the whole game, sitting in the lower bowl behind the opposing net twice, so he could probably hear it.

Huet made 14 saves on 18 shots that night.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
No, but I have seen plenty of goalies react to Bronx cheers.

Also, please don't do the goalie chant when it isn't a blowout.

No1

Jun 17, 2007
Vancouver
Former Major Junior goalie here... when the home crowd did that to me when I was the away goalie it would actually make me play better.

Either it helps them or they have the crowd completely tuned out.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Agree with this. I've gotten a kick out of seeing fans do that when a Goalie has let in a couple of softies and the game is getting out of hand, but when the Goalie is playing well in a close game, it's just stupid.

I suppose if it's the goalies first ever playoff game then yes, it's worth a shot. But doing the chant to seasoned vets is just funny. :laugh: But it's harmless fun and if it gets fans into a game why not? They paid the money and if it adds to their enjoyment go nuts I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad