Do You Guys Think that Goalie Name Taunting has Any Kind of Effect on Goaltenders?

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I think it's pretty lame when the goalie is doing fine in the game. You do it when the goalie is getting blown out, not when it's 2-1 in the 3rd period.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
i mean, it very likely has some effect. Whether that actually affects the outcome of the game is highly uncertain

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Only if their losers, If fans's chanting brings you down and makes you get scored 3+ more goals on then you can't be helped.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Of course it works. Why else have drunken fanatics being continuing this tradition for hundreds of years?

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I think it's pretty lame when the goalie is doing fine in the game. You do it when the goalie is getting blown out, not when it's 2-1 in the 3rd period.

Agree with this. I've gotten a kick out of seeing fans do that when a Goalie has let in a couple of softies and the game is getting out of hand, but when the Goalie is playing well in a close game, it's just stupid.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
I'm not gonna compare myself to an NHL goaltender by any means but I've played goal in front of somewhat large crowds of 1,500+ before. For the most part you are so focused on the game that you mostly tune it out anyway. In my experience when you do hear it it just makes you even more focused cause you just want to piss them off. Once you make a couple big saves they shut up pretty quick. So in short for me it always had the reverse effect.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Nope. Think there was really only 1-2 guys it ever affected.

Hextall for sure and likely Belfour.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Not for the most part. It's just one of those silly non effective things that some fans seem to enjoy. I've never ever bothered to partake.

The only time I have ever seen it work was at the 2001 Memorial Cup in Regina.

I'm pretty sure it was the Ottawa 67's goalie, Seamus Kotyk, who made some extremely derogatory comments about the city to the local newspaper.

Ottawa had won their first game but after the disrespect the local fans relentlessly let him have it. He was visibly rattled. Ottawa got thumped in the rest of their games.

I'm sure the kid grew up a lot after that.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not at the NHL level.

Perhaps there will be an extreme circumstance, like Roy vs Detroit, or a massively lopsided game.

But generally, no.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If a goaltender was mentally weak enough to be affected by it, they never would've got to the NHL

This.

Otherwise: It's just for fun. Nothing wrong with it. Of course some people are annoyed by it but there's gotta be someone annoyed by something no matter what. Rules of nature.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

Yeah Montreal was doing it to Bishop every game regardless of the score, often right at the beginning. Since when did they become Nashville? Didn't work either obviously.

The only time where I felt it worked was one game I went to when the Lightning were already blowing out the other team's backup and we started chanting and he promptly let in two more and he was so pissed he broke his stick on the crossbar. But that was probably just coincidence even then. :laugh:

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I remember Ron Tugnutt used to say that he liked it. Something to the effect that he thought it was cool that so many people knew his name. Maybe a Sens fan can correct me on that one.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Brodeur got it quite often from the fans in Ottawa and seemed to never get shutouts against us. I'm sure other goaltenders probably got rattled from hearing that all the time.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
If fans chanting their name affects their play that much, they would not have made it to the NHL in the first place.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
tumblr_l57bd0DSD11qc073co1_400.gif

In all honesty, probably not.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yes, if I was a peewee goalie and the crowd started chanting my name after a bad goal, I'd probably be flustered by ..... oh, you mean NHL goalies? Not a chance.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
99% of the time it probably does nothing.

I did see Roloson lose his **** one time in Winnipeg in a blow out. When a player is already on edge (i.e. screaming at the ref after a goal), then being taunted might actually work. IIRC him and Stamkos got ejected from that game. It was amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->