Movies: Do you GO to the movies more/less/the same as 10 years ago?

Do you GO to the movies more/less/the same as you did 10 years ago?

• Total voters
Sep 19, 2008
I pretty much only go for Marvel Movies and occasionally a few other blockbuster. But mostly marvel. And I go on Thursday nights, 7 PM.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
About the same as 10 years ago, but even then it was like 3-4 times per year. It's like $80 to take your fam to the movies anymore, so like some others in here that's reserved for franchise favorites.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I'm 'half as much as 10 years ago' but I still watch as much. I don't know if it is a function of changing tastes as I get older or the fact that most theatres in my home town (downtown Ottawa) have closed and moved to the suburbs. The only cinema left in downtown Ottawa is the Bytown, which is an art-house style theatre and I'm fine with that. So I'm watching more international and indie fare at the theatre and I can wait until the Hollywood content goes online. Kihei is prolific with his international reviews and that gives me a good barometer of what is decent; there is more marketing hype for Hollywood content, it is more difficult to gauge what's worth watching outside the Hollywood bubble.

I also watch fewer DVDs since most rental stores have closed. ALthough I've recently discovered an old DVD rental store that carries old stuff. I love perusing through DVDs to discover classics or foreign fare that's on my watch list.

I don't know just how much the internet will disrupt the movie industry yet. Older people prefer to stay home and watch online on their home theatre systems. Cinemas are becoming more the home of the younger crowd and we see more Marvellized content, franchise thrillers and teen screamers for cinemas. Hollywood might adjust it's more adult and mature content to fit international audiences (appeal to a wider world audience and less to just a US audience) and international films might become more popular in North America. More serious films might go straight to pay-per-view quickly, hopefully there is a profitable business model there. But the theatre experience won't go under, it will just adjust.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Regarding above, I recently stated putting DVDs on hold at the library. I can have a movie in my Netflix for months or years and never get around to it. But, if I pick up something that has a return date I seemed to be a lot more motivated.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
In terms of "overall" it is less, but I used to go to the movies a lot.

Now I mostly go to see the big blockbuster stuff since 90% of big budget movies do absolutely nothing for me.

I do go to my independent movie theatres a fair bit still, less than before but that it because I used to live a 5-minute walk away.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I go less. Not because I don’t still enjoy going to a movie. I love that experience of going to a theatre, getting snacks or drinks, talking about the movie before, after etc.

But I don’t have as much free time as I used to. Friends don’t have as much free time. Lives change, families change etc

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I used to go with large groups and saw a lot more surefire terrible movies just because it was with friends. I'm far more selective now and don't always go to the ones I want to see. Last year, I only saw Infinity War.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Less because I don't really get as excited for new films now because there are just less good big ones. I still get excited for certain ones (was gonna catch Captain Marvel this week but its March Break so I'll go next week when the schoolkids go back to school).

Also find the theatre to be pricey and often too crowded even though I've stopped buying popcorn altogether. I kinda enjoy just chilling out at the end of the day once work is done and catching a movie even if it's only a portion of the film, it's tranquil at least.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A reason I don't go as much...

People yapping. Nothing ruins a movie faster than someone talking.

I know this is nothing new and people have always talked, I just find :

1) I am less patient with that kind of inconsiderate behaviour;
2) If I watch the movies on line, at home, after everyone has gone to bed, I obviously don't have to deal with the distractions.

Movie theaters need to have head phones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad