Do you do Barry Trotz at 5m/5y?

Do you give Barry Trotz 5m/5y

• Total voters

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It doesn't count against the cap, who cares. As long as Leonsis is willing to pay, they can give him 10M a year if they care enough about retaining him.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Who cares? I don't care what owners pay if its not on the cap. Pay the man 50m for all I care.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I know it's not your money, I guess I should have worded the question more along the lines of "Is Barry Trotz a top 4-5 coach in the league" to make it simple. People might not care what a coach makes but the criticism gets amped up when a certain coach makes top 4-5 money, like Julien in MTL for example or Babcock in TO who many are feeling is overrated and his massive salary might not be helping with that cause.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
As a Caps fan, I'm really torn on Trotz. He looked badly out-coached against Sullivan in 15-16 and 16-17, but then he went and had all the answers in 17-18. His offensive scheme used to appear to be, throw high skill forwards into the O zone and let them try to create, but this year he (or someone on his staff?) came up with an offensive system that emphasized lateral puck movement and creating high quality scoring chances that they could finish.

So which Trotz is the real Trotz? The one who couldn't coach his way out of the second round for almost 20 years, or the one who just led his team through a gauntlet of excellent teams to win the Cup?

I honestly don't know.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Quenneville doesn't even make $3 Million, and Babcock is given $6.25. I would consider giving him $3 Million depending on my team.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
And then your team wouldn't get Trotz.

It also depends on what team gives him the offer. But I was saying I wouldn't give him $5 Million. I would if he proved to be amazing coach for my team the first 1-3 seasons.

But if he is going to the Islanders, which I would doubt right now, the only way he signs there is if he gets that kind of money.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It also depends on what team gives him the offer. But I was saying I wouldn't give him $5 Million. I would if he proved to be amazing coach for my team the first 1-3 seasons.

But if he is going to the Islanders, which I would doubt right now, the only way he signs there is if he gets that kind of money.

That's my point. He deserves to be the highest paid ( Or close to it) coach.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
My team has practically unlimited money and coaches salary doesn't mean anything tangible to them, so sure, I'll pay him that to be a part-time advisor.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Trotz instead of Carlyle when it's not even my money? Hell yes!

Our owners wouldn't though.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Winning the Stanley Cup seems to have a whitewashing affect on the rest of a career. I do think he's a great coach and I'd probably have him in my top 5 or just out of it, but for the 20 years before this one the guy had never been out of the second round. Several of those years coaching some great Capitals teams. The notion that he could step in and lead the Islanders or Seattle's team to greatness I think is a bit presumptuous. His recent track record especially in the regular season is very impressive. Something to be said for three straight division titles, and wasn't very far from a fourth.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Trotz instead of Carlyle when it's not even my money? Hell yes!

Our owners wouldn't though.
Swapping one husky bald white guy for another! Feel like you can almost start a club with Carlyle, Trotz, Boudreau and Julien.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Who cares about the price? It’s the owners money it doesn’t affect any salary cap or anything.

Reactions: SotasicA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad