Do you consider Karlsson and Doughty top 100 players of all time?

what do you think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Didn’t the NHL recently have a top 100 players of all time show? I can’t remember if either was on the list/show? That list was the end all for top 100 arguments...hahaha

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
That list doesn't have much credibility considering Evgeni Malkin did not make the list but Jonathan Toews did.

The list was probably ~90% fine, but had a few obvious misses (Malkin being probably the biggest one).

To me it was always such a weak effort though. Would have been so much more fun if they ranked the players, instead of just naming them

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Not sure, I'd have to see who the consensus d-men are in the 90-110 range.

Between these two specifically, it's a really hard one for me. I love both guys. Karlsson is the more dynamic and exciting offensive force who can be more of a game changer, so Ottawa was a good fit for him even though he didn't win a Cup. Doughty, on the other hand, is more my cup of tea as far as d-men go. Very responsible in his own end, with a physical edge and a bit of a mean streak. The perfect corner stone for a Cup team.

I'm not sure Doughty would have done better than Karlsson in Ottawa, and I'm almost certain Karlsson wouldn't have made LA any better (they did win two Cups).

Toss a coin; I'd be very happy with either one.

With this reasoning I suppose you also agree that McDavid produce the way he does because he is on a subpar team? Because to me the only reason Karlsson was seen as bad defensively is because he was so relied upon offensively. Or to put it differently would Oilers be a better team with Bergeron than McDavid?

Would LA win more cups with Karlsson? Very doubtful since winning cups are somewhat fluky and they did win two, I am very confident in saying they would be a better team and win more games per average.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
That list doesn't have much credibility considering Evgeni Malkin did not make the list but Jonathan Toews did.
True, but were either of the two on that list? I didn’t pay much attention to it, but I was also surprised that Malkin didn’t make the list.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
With this reasoning I suppose you also agree that McDavid produce the way he does because he is on a subpar team? Because to me the only reason Karlsson was seen as bad defensively is because he was so relied upon offensively. Or to put it differently would Oilers be a better team with Bergeron than McDavid?

Would LA win more cups with Karlsson? Very doubtful since winning cups are somewhat fluky and they did win two, I am very confident in saying they would be a better team and win more games per average.

As I tell you every time we do this (you said Drew wasn't even a top active 15 dman during his Norris years FFS), that completely minimizes Doughty's role on those teams as if he were a passenger when really he was the main driver and the biggest shame for his legacy as you can see from these discussions is not getting a deserved Conn Smythe at those times.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
80 to 120 for both most likely, but I'm way too lazy to make the list required to figure out the answer. I wouldn't say anyone was wrong or out of touch for either answer.

What era are we putting them in? Keith probably has a stronger argument than both, and I'd say Hedman is likely to end up with the better career and was only drafted a year behind them. Their careers also overlapped with the tail end of Pronger and Lidstrom. And it is hard to tell who among players drafted within 10 years of them will land (Makar, Seth Jones, etc).

80-120 is the range were I can see strong arguments for both or them.

for the record they finished 109 and 110 in the HOH section of this board

Top-200 Hockey Players of All-Time

Also I think it is really obvious that Doughty is aging better not that everyone really cares about that metric though.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014

That might be so, but only for the regular season. I remember LA limping into the playoffs, I think during their second Cup run, but thinking to myself that these guys are going to be dangerous. LA was a team that was built for the playoff grind and it is primarily because of guys like Doughty who play with more substance than flash. It's very similar to the flash of the Leafs versus the grind of the Habs that just happened these playoffs.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad