Do you believe in miracles? Oilers win 5-4 in shootout!

McDeathbyCheerios*

Arcobello is showing a lot of compete lately. Destroying in the faceoff circle, battling hard for them, only problem he has is that he has no finish right now, and that might just be nerves from playing in the big leagues.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Nuge played 28 minutes, Hall 25 minutes, Eberle 22 minutes and Perron 25 minutes.. Wow.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I started watching by the third so I think we played a great game. Very aggressive. This was obviously not the case in the first two, but since I never saw them they don't exist.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hopkins goal - Good job knowing where to be.
Ference goal - Lucky goal, but I'll take it. You're supposed to shoot in that situation.
Perron goal - Wicked laser of a shot. Brodeur didn't have a chance in hell at stopping that one.
Hall goal - Was being covered by a left handed d-man who was being forced to cover the right side because Volchenkov wandered over to the opposite side to fight for the puck. Still. Good on Hall.

Both of the Oilers' shootout goals showed an obvious flaw in Marty's shootout habits. Still, both of those shots were sweet backhands.

After the first period I was sure that we were going to lose.
After the second I saw a little more life in us, but nothing was happening. Jersey's defensive play was doing a great job of shutting us down.
In the third period we were doing exactly what we were supposed to be doing from the beginning of the game, and I don't mean scoring goals. Edmonton was fighting for the puck like they really wanted it. All of the players were skating and hitting harder. Our puck possession in the third period was downright sick too.

Really happy that we won, but we beat a pretty weak team tonight. Was saying it all last year too that we'd be a playoff team if we played 45-50 minutes just like we played in the third period today. Need to stop coming in flat.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Unsung hero of the night: Yakupov

Dude was hustling and throwing checks all over the ice, not to mention hit the post with a shot. Really boosted the energy level in the building before the comeback.

Thing about Yakapov is he does SO MUCH in the offensive zone, but I can see why coaches are scared of him in the Oilers own zone. He is so reactionary, he waits until things start to happen before he tries to contain them, rather than proactively preventing passes and shots. Every time you see him in his own end, he's hunched over desperately scrambling to try to catch up to his man with the puck a half stride to late.

This can and will be fixed, but you can see the immaturity in his game relative to the vets and the more seasoned young guys.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
If they played more often like they did in the third, they would be scoring more, defending better and people would realize the goalie thing isnt as big as theyve been thinking.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I say this in losses too, but it's only one game. Happy it turned out the way it did though. This team just needed some confidence... lets hope they can carry this over against Montreal.

Hard work does pay off, you just need to actually walk the walk for the rewards.

flashyflash

Ryan Smyth is BATMAN
May 1, 2006
london
I thought Dubnyk had a terrible night on the bench. His posture was a little off and his positioning during whistles was maddening. He needs to show more intensity when sitting there watching the action. I wasn't impressed with his performance at all.

This almost killed me. Remind me to never to drink while reading. Don't Drink and Read kids.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Snake Bite - Good job knowing where to be.
The Horns - Lucky goal, but I'll take it. You're supposed to shoot in that situation.
Gypsy Curse- Wicked laser of a shot. Brodeur didn't have a chance in hell at stopping that one.
Liquid Magma - Was being covered by a left handed d-man who was being forced to cover the right side because Volchenkov wandered over to the opposite side to fight for the puck. Still.

agreed.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Was disappointed when Mact only added one established bottom 6/3rd liner during the offseason, and it'll be an issue later on.

But there is absolutely no way anyone could be disappointed in the signing of Gordon. He's everything Horcoff wasn't, aggressive, physical, and a bear in puck battles.

Once Gagner is back, we'll see a much more balanced attack with 3 actual NHL centers on the roster.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
If they played more often like they did in the third, they would be scoring more, defending better and people would realize the goalie thing isnt as big as theyve been thinking.

I have noticed from the past few games that you're often the first one defending Dubnyk. Good on you for having faith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad