Do you ***** and Moan when you get called for a Penalty?

Niftygrl16

Dec 20, 2006
Rhode Island
I've only gotten one penalty so far in my 5 years of playing. It was last month and the only thing I said to the ref was "Great, there goes my chances for the Lady Byng!!" He just laughed.

Berger_4_

Dec 17, 2006
Bawlf Alberta Canada
I'm a bit of a goon in the league I play in...(30min in 6 games)
But I do my best to never complain to a ref.
Although last game I flipped. Lucky he didn't give me a 10.
The only way I dispute a call is by looking to the bench, putting my hands up and shaking my head. It doesn't hurt that I'm usually taking somebody with me though.

Jypee

Dec 8, 2005
I complained for the first time of my life a few months back. I was going for the puck in the corner, the other team defenseman blocked the way to me and broke my stick. A penalty was called on me, as I haven't even touched the guy. I had lost a 100$ stick + I had a penalty, I was pissed.

But otherwise, I don't complain as I've been reffing for 2 years in the past and I know what's it like to be a ref.

BCCHL inactive

And then you'd give me a ten after that for me telling you how happy I am that you finally got a ****ing call right!

Actually, to be frank, Slashing is the right call in that situation. I've never called it anything else, nor have I ever seen it called anything else.

I'd never complain....EVER...in fact, I don't take any penalties...EVER....right Van?

Come to think of it, I don't know if I ever tagged you when I did rec games.

Now those ****ing Lumber Kings and one Rec C team I won't bother to name.... I think I set personal bests with them. :yo:

Reckless Abandon*

I dont get really any penalties. Tee only ones I remember were:

1. I "hooked", but quickly attempted to pull my stick down, but the kid already clamped his arm around it and I couldnt pull it back down. So the ref called it, and I let go off my stick to show him that he was clamping. I didn't whine at the ref, but I talked some **** to the kid, because he was playing cheap.

2. Later in the same game, I hit that kid in the corner, he went down, grabbed my leg and said some ****, I just decided to let it go, and got up again, a few seconds later he recieved the puck, about 2 feet from the boards, facing them. I came in, full speed, and drilled him from behind. I got called with a Game Misconduct, I didn't argue this of course, it was a dangerous hit.

3. Last year, injured some kid with a hit along the boards (kid was a *****), Roughing.

4. Roughing again after I threw some kid in our net because he was hacking at our goalie.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Everyone knows that it's good to argue with the ref. Referees often just go : "yeah you're right sorry about that, just get out the box"

Another thing that's good also is when i'm talking with my referees i know (as I've been reffing now forabout 10 years) and some idiot dumb *** goes : "don't talk with him, he's already got enough trouble like that". That's always a good a way to be friend with the referees and make sure he calls the OTHER way.

The one I like the most as a ref is: "Common ref there is two ****ing teams on the ice wake up. .... ahhhh common what I said wasn't bad enough for 2 minutes, wake up theres 2 teams on the ice" That line shows me the guy understood why he got the 2 minutes to start with.
I especially like it when it comes from both teams in the same game.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
lol...actually, I think you're right van...either way, I know shaw has nailed me good before

There was one game probably 4 or 5 years ago now, I was getting a penalty...a BS one at that imo, I think it was an interference call or something...anyways, I knew I was getting called, and the puck slid towards me, and I was standing right beside the bench. I took a couple strides and just hammered the puck across the ice, apparently "in the direction of the official"...I got dimed for that one, and there was like 15mins left in the game, so I said under my breath that he may as well give me another 10 so I can go shower while there was still hot water....so he did....he really didn't like that so much....oh well...

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
First post!

I don't complain when I get a penalty, if I were to complain every time I got a penalty I'd actually spend more time complaining than playing the game (I'm up to 46 PIM in 15 games now...:shakehead ) !

But, when the referee makes a very bad call against me, I go at full speed to the penalty box. I don't really know why. :dunce:

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
No. I never took many penalties as it was, and I realise they were just trying to do their job out there. I'll say something politely if I think he missed the call (usually a perfunctory "bad call, ref"). I think I may have mouthed off once, but it was during a very intense, tight game, the ref realised that and didn't tack on anything else. I apologized to him afterwards.

I was thrown out of one game. My team was getting hosed all game by one particular referee. Midway through the third, the opposition had ten power plays to our one. It was so bad the other team, up big at this point, was actually embarrased by it. Four of our players (and our coach) had been tossed from the game for complaining. We had just received another ridiculous penalty, a double-minor. I went out to kill the penalty and our centerman, lining up for the faceoff, said "how much do you have riding on white, ref?" I simply added, "no <bleep>." He tossed us both. We skated back to the bench laughing to tell the assistant we were gone.

After that, our team went a little nuts, and five more players were thrown out. The game was called on account of a league rule saying that if X amount of players were thrown out of the game, then it was a forfeit. The league fined our team, but the ref was let go at the end of that season.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
i'll normally just sit down or say something small like that was a weak one, but nothing big. If i didn't know all the refs i'd be less inclined to say anything, but since i know almost all of them and like most of them i'll just say something but nothing to piss them off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad