Do you ***** and Moan when you get called for a Penalty?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Me...I usually do..which is so sad because I am a referee...I guess I just get so caught up in the game that I complain....I always regret it because I know the ref isnt out to hurt either side and is there to just call it like he sees it...ahh

I take about a minor a game BTW..usually a lazy hooking, tripping, crosschecking or roughing (the last 2 I don't complain about)...I play in a very competitive adult league so there is usually a fair amount of penalties.

bfire

May 30, 2006
Toronto
www.hockeynut.com
If it's a really bad call, I usually let him have it. Other then that I just accept it and go to the box. So far I only have 1 penalty in 20 games tho. Interference.

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
I used to when I was younger and play travel and high school. Not so much now that I've moved to the beer leagues.

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
It's more of a suprise to me when I get a penalty. 4 years worth of uni plus rec league games, and all the freindlies I've had, see my totals at 4 PIM. Slashing and hooking. When I got them I was like *Look around and point to self* "Me? Ok."

If I got a penalty that obviously wasn't my fault, then I suppose I would complain a little bit, but in the end that never does anything anyway.

BCCHL inactive

Most of the time I argue against stupid calls. Last game I got a penalty on a hook that was clearly a dive and the ref told me that there was no call for diving in USA hockey.

He is right.

Same with Hockey Canada. There is no actual rule against diving. However, Hockey Canada started this season allowing us to use Unsportsmanlike Conduct minors if we are absolutely 100% sure a foul was embelished.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I keep my mouth shut and go right to the box. If it's a marginal call I may ask the ref about it later on. At that point he's usually happy to explain it to me.

Lets face it. They aren't going to change the call. The only thing yapping will do is get you another deuce.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Depends on the call and the ref.

If its one of our three good refs, I won't complain, mainly because they don't give me bull**** calls. If its the other guy, if its a bad call, I'll ususally give a short yap. Usually "THATS a hook? You saw that and you missed the check from behind in the corner???????!"

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I used to and I have to tell you, I went from most penalized on my team a couple of years ago to least this year. I haven't changed my game one bit either. I just never complain and always shake the refs hands and thank them after every game.

Sportsmanship goes a long way. As soon as you realize *****ing won't make things better, just worse, you'll have it down.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Complaining doesn't get you out of the box. I used to ref and if someone argued a call too much the next marginal call was that much easier to make.

BCCHL inactive

Complaining doesn't get you out of the box. I used to ref and if someone argued a call too much the next marginal call was that much easier to make.

I do my best to not let it affect future penalty calls. If a player talks too much on the way to the box, I just make the 2-minute penalty into a 12-minute penalty (or a 4-minute penalty, depending on the severity of the comments and/or the level of hockey. Rec players will ALWAYS get 10 with me.), which makes me have to have another player serve the minor, thus said whiner player now has a teammate pissed off at him.

Handing out that dime usually does the trick. If the player gets another penalty and complains, that second 10-minute misconduct is an automatic Game Misconduct. Odds are said player will keep his mouth shut.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I'll complain, unless I flat out know I committed the act, which has been known to happen.

My favourite one is when i poked the goalies glove while he had it covered (for a second or so). The ref gave me two minutes for slashing and on the way to the box, I asked him how it was slashing if I didn't lift my stick on the ice. I offered (in a nice way, I'm sure) that it would be spearing if anything, giving the motion of the stick.

BCCHL inactive

I'll complain, unless I flat out know I committed the act, which has been known to happen.

My favourite one is when i poked the goalies glove while he had it covered (for a second or so). The ref gave me two minutes for slashing and on the way to the box, I asked him how it was slashing if I didn't lift my stick on the ice. I offered (in a nice way, I'm sure) that it would be spearing if anything, giving the motion of the stick.

If I was in a bad mood, I'd probably tag you for Spearing after you said it, earning you an extra 2 minutes as a Spear can't be a minor. ;)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
When I played, I yapped a lot. Part of my game. Never hurt me as I actually got LESS called against me since I was always chummy with the refs afterwards and during games. I was bigger than most of the people I played against, so especially in a full check league I got a lot of really bogus calls against me.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I never complain, but if I feel a call was bogus, or don't know why I got the call, I'll go up to the ref between periods, or after the game, and tell him why I didn't think it was a penalty, and ask him to tell me why it was a penalty.

I still haven't gotten a ref to say he made a bogus call, even when asking politely. Refs are stubborn.

HockeySS19

Feb 28, 2006
Gainesville, FL
My favourite one is when i poked the goalies glove while he had it covered (for a second or so). The ref gave me two minutes for slashing.

That's happened to me as well, however the puck was still loose.

I don't complain ever. I just go to the box. Last time I took a penalty, the other team scored on the powerplay. So I just went out and scored a goal on my first shift back. Much better than complaining.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I'm usually mature about it, because I'll know when I'm in the wrong. However, if I get called for something like tripping when I know the other guy took a dive, I'll make sure to say my piece just to get the info to the ref so he is aware of it. What's done is done, just do your time and hope your team doesn't get scored on.:teach:

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Nah, I usually deserve it. If the call is a weak one I'll maby ask the ref about it but I never argue. There is no real point in getting angry about it, it never does you or the referees any good.

Civility as wel as just general pleasantness goes a long way. I'm a super social person so I normally establish a good rapport with the officials very early in any game.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
The most I do if I don't agree is shake my head and smile.
I also try to thank the refs after the game regardless of how the game went, there is no point in getting into the refs bad list ;)

hckyguy14

I very rarely get penalties. But when I do, it's usually a high stick or something that you just can't argue because it was so obvious. So I don't argue much, if I do it's less then 5% of the time.

I yell at the refs for not calling infractions on the other team all the time though. Or at least I question it. :biglaugh:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
When I played I started off tending to yap a LOT, ended up being kicked out of 3 games my first season because of it. I figured out that I was costing my team big time after that season and cleaned up my act a good bit, at least in terms of complaining to the refs.

My next season I had all of 11 penalties called on me over 24 games, and 2 of those the player I had offended was called for an unsportsmanlike for embelishing. Generally I would simply ask the ref for an explanation and just served my 2 minutes hoping the other team didn't make us pay for it. Typically I'd thank them for explaining the call to me and I noticed I didn't get called for nearly as many marginal plays (maybe 2 all season) as I did the year before (I was good for 1 a game). I have little doubt that showing a bit of courtesy to the refs had something to do with that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad