Do you agree with the Tom Wilson Suspension?

Do you agree with the Wilson suspension?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
What's your thoughts on the 20 game suspension?

I personally thought around 15 games would have been the perfect amount, 20 games is also fine though.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
They actually got it right. Normally I'm "okay" with a # of games, but think they should in general be harsher. This seems perfect.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Pure PR move by the league.

Should’ve been 5 games like all of Marchand’s suspensions for even more egregious offenses.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Pure PR move by the league.

Should’ve been 5 games like all of Marchand’s suspensions for even more egregious offenses.
Half of Marchand's suspensions are for dumb shit like cup-checking Jake Dotchin. He's not nearly in the same league here.

And I hate Marchand (kind of... god damn when he's not licking people or hitting them in the nuts he is one of my favorite players to watch).

Reactions: wintersej

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Caps fan here.

20 games is fine. I think most of us were expecting 10.

This is consistent with how Torres was treated, near as I can tell. Not sure it is consistent with anyone else - certainly not consistent with Matt Cooke's dirty tenure in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Elvs

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Caps fan here.

This is consistent with how Torres was treated, near as I can tell. Not sure it is consistent with anyone else.

Matt Cooke, neither are names you want to be associated with.

1. Feb. 21, 2004: Two games for spearing Minnesota's Matt Johnson.
2. Jan. 27, 2009: Two games for a head shot to Carolina's Scott Walker.
3. Nov. 28, 2009: Two games for elbowing New York Ranger Artem Anisimov.
4. Feb. 9, 2011: Four games for boarding Columbus's Fedor Tyutin.
5. March 21, 2011: Seventeen games, including the remainder of the regular season and the first round of the playoffs for elbowing New York Ranger Ryan McDonagh.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Matt Cooke, neither are names you want to be associated with.

1. Feb. 21, 2004: Two games for spearing Minnesota's Matt Johnson.
2. Jan. 27, 2009: Two games for a head shot to Carolina's Scott Walker.
3. Nov. 28, 2009: Two games for elbowing New York Ranger Artem Anisimov.
4. Feb. 9, 2011: Four games for boarding Columbus's Fedor Tyutin.
5. March 21, 2011: Seventeen games, including the remainder of the regular season and the first round of the playoffs for elbowing New York Ranger Ryan McDonagh.
Also, if I recall Cooke's suspensions pre-date the DoPS.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It was a bad hit but 20 games is excessive for a hockey play. That is right up there with guys that were suspended for vicious attacks. Guys like Bertuzzi, Mcsorley, Simon or Dale Hunter.
Funny thing is in the video I watched, the league even comment that Sundqvist was in a dangerous area with his head down and he was eligible to be hit by Wilson. Unfortunately the idiot had to hit him in the head when he had an opportunity at making a bonecrushing legal hit. I still think its a bit excessive.
The league should break this suspension down. I would say 10 games for the hit to the head and 10 games for stupidity. Can't believe the Caps gave him that big contract to match 1/4 of the season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Caps fan here.

This is consistent with how Torres was treated, near as I can tell. Not sure it is consistent with anyone else - certainly not consistent with Matt Cooke's dirty tenure in Pittsburgh.

Cooke got 7 playoff games for a knee to knee hit in MN, which is pretty unprecedented before and since. Just that his antics in Pit were kind of the beginning of the DOPS

All three were worthy of the treatment they got (or are getting)

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Get a new angle. It's not 1998 bud.

I'm well versed in hockey history. There was a time when hockey players hit each other in the head with sticks, pretty regularly. And didn't get ejected.

Things change.
There was also a time when players protected themselves better.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
For once, they got it right. Shouldn't be a slap on the wrist, or a week off, or just a big fine (which is what the 3-5 game suspensions amount to). This is a real penalty. If sitting for almost 2 months and losing more than a million dollars doesn't teach Wilson something, than nothing will.

The goal of a punishment is to encourage a player to change their actions. This is one of the first suspensions I have seen that actually does that.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's about time the DoPS took it seriously. If they're sincere about removing predatory hits from the game, this was a great first step.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You can throw up the same old excuses but the fact of the matter is players shouldn't have free reign to clobber others in the head. Period. You CAN hit people hard and not need to scramble a brain. Tom Wilson goes out of his way to injure players.
Are you really that close minded. Sundqvist was going to get destroyed even if the hit was clean.
I'm not defending Wilson. But players have to protect themselves better than that.
Players now play as if it is a non contact sport.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I don’t get why people seem to overreact or act impulse whenever a trade or suspension or dirty hit happens. It’s almost like they want to put lol or get it in the conversation just because, ....again no idea why? It’s not all people and sometimes it’s warranted but try and look at the facts first. It’s not all about the hit itself. It’s the Players history it’s what there intent was it’s how often it occurs in such a small time, it’s about it being the preseason and it’s about setting the tone.
Eliminating this stuff. What if that was Connor McDavid? Should the suspension be less because it wasn’t? I never agreed with that kind of idea but although I like Tom he was already on a short leash the last time.

If you were slacking off at work your boss warns you. Two months later you call in sick then are late a couple times. Then you star problems there and what not....so your on a short leash ....then you do something stupid again and Are warned. THen you screw up big time a month later. That’s not exactly how this happened but I get when enough is enough

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Are you really that close minded. Sundqvist was going to get destroyed even if the hit was clean.
I'm not defending Wilson. But players have to protect themselves better than that.
Players now play as if it is a non contact sport.

And he would've learned if he got destroyed with a clean hit, especially if it resulted in an injury. The difference is there a significantly lower risk of having a concussion which can completely ruin people's lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->