Do you agree with Gerry Cheevers getting inducted into the HHOF?

Do you agree with Gerry Cheevers being inducted into the HHOF?

• Total voters

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Thought I would do a fun poll here.

Cheevers is one of those goalies who I think if you look at his stat line you aren't overly impressed. There aren't gaudy numbers, there isn't any 1st or 2nd all-star team selections and he took until he was about 26 years old before he could crack an NHL roster, the final year of the Original 6. Won 30 games just once, and never led the NHL in any category during the year, at least not in the regular season.

For starters, I think he belongs. Goalies are probably the only position where I don't have a problem with any of them in there. With the exception of a couple guys at or near the bottom like Roy Worters and Chuck Rayner you can argue Cheevers is the bottom feeder of the HHOF among goalies and yet I think he is still deservingly in there.

Why are his numbers not as nice? One reason is 3.5 years in the WHA. I don't like using the WHA much to add to a player's resume but the truth is that Cheevers was the best goalie in that league the entire time he was there. I can't remember what made him come back up to the NHL midway through the 1976 season from the WHA, but either way he was there for a while.

Another thing is that especially in the 1970s era and even up until the early 1990s many teams did the goalie split thing. Especially if you had two goalies that were good. Cheevers was good and Eddie Johnston was good too and a formidable back up. Cheevers played in 52 games in 1969, but pretty much 40-45 games the rest of his career per year. Johnston would play the other half or later on it was Gilles Gilbert. Either way a 227-104-76 record is nothing to sneeze at especially considering the late bloomer status and the time in the WHA.

Here is where I think he earned his keep, the playoffs. Two Cups with Boston. He won every game for them in the 1970 playoffs and then split with Johnston in 1972 although it was Cheevers who got the shutout in the Cup clinching game. It was Johnston, not Cheevers, in net for that disastrous Game 2 in 1971 vs. Montreal. Cheevers played the rest of the series. If not for his bolting to the WHA there is no doubt the #1 starting job in the Summit Series vs. Russia is his to lose. Think about it, who is the most reliable goalie in the NHL at this time? Then there were the Cup finals in 1977 and 1978. Granted he was so-so in 1979 and he was in net for that disastrous Game 3 of the 1979 Challenge Cup the same year.

I think he belongs in the HHOF and he is a classic case of "You had to be there" to appreciate him a bit more. Brad Park once joked about Cheevers literally stepping out of the way of a teed up slap shot with a rolling puck and letting it go into the net. The score was 7-3 Bruins, it was late in the game and Park said Cheevers could care less about his goals against average, he just didn't want to get killed by the puck! Funny story, but it doesn't detract from the fact he was a pretty good "money" goalie when the chips were down.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Isn’t he already in?

Yes. Nothing in the original post is inconsistent with that.

Alright.

I think he should be in. He was the starting goalie on two Stanley Cup winners at a time when only three teams and four starting goaltenders won the Cup between 1968-1979 (inclusive). The other two teams were great teams, and other three starters on the list are all in the Hall of Fame. ANY goalie would have to be a Hall of Famer to help his team to a championship in the era listed below.

1968 Canadiens - Vachon HOF
1969 Canadiens - Vachon HOF
1970 Bruins - Cheevers HOF
1971 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1972 Bruins - Cheevers HOF
1973 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1974 Flyers - Parent HOF
1975 Flyers - Parent HOF
1976 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1977 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1978 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1979 Canadiens - Dryden HOF

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
For the most part, I'm too young to remember his entire career. My memories pretty much start with his return to the NHL.
So, from what I know, no he's not close.

I voted no but could be persuaded he should be there based on his mask alone.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Ima have to go the other way on this one and say no, if for no other reason than considering how many goaltenders Id sooner see in the hall before him (Liut, Joseph, Vernon, Irbe...)

woof

Cheevers shouldn't be in, but those 4 that you listed are no where near as good as Cheevers was and would be much worse admissions.

As much as we complain about Cheevers, you're going to induct Liut and his .883/3.49?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
woof

Cheevers shouldn't be in, but those 4 that you listed are no where near as good as Cheevers was and would be much worse admissions.

As much as we complain about Cheevers, you're going to induct Liut and his .883/3.49?

... Yes? I mean, by the current standards, Liut probably doesn't deserve to be in, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a terrific netminder.

Oh, and of course, playing 100% of your NHL career on non-dynasty between 1979 and 1992 is bound to yield such numbers.

Last edited:

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
'74 Summit Series was his finest hour. He and Tretiak put on a clinic.

Fun fact: 68% of the '72 Summit Series was played with the teams tied or having a one-goal lead. In '74 the percentage dropped, as expected, but only to 64%. Not the blowout I had always assumed, and Cheevers was a big reason the series was as close as it was. Team Canada gave him the night off for Game Three and the Soviets racked up a five-goal lead. Needless to say, Cheevers was back in net for Game Four and the rest of the series.

It is odd though that Cheevers made the Hall so soon after retirement whereas Vachon had to wait decades. Could just as easily be the other way 'round.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
1968 Canadiens - Vachon HOF
1969 Canadiens - Vachon HOF
1970 Bruins - Cheevers HOF
1971 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1972 Bruins - Cheevers HOF
1973 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1974 Flyers - Parent HOF
1975 Flyers - Parent HOF
1976 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1977 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1978 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
1979 Canadiens - Dryden HOF
Kind of a stretch to give Vachon the Cup in 1968. I think he only played two games that playoffs with Worsley getting the bulk of the work. But he's a Hall of Famer too, so no biggie. Also, one of the Bruin Cups Eddie Johnston and Cheevers split the duties pretty much down the middle. A bit of a nitpick. You could continue on-Smith four straight Cups (HOF), Fuhr three of the next four (HOF). Barrasso won two in the row a few years after Fuhr but isn't in which to me is a oversight.

I voted "not sure" on Cheevers. Played on great teams and had some lighter loads. Has the two (or 1.5 Cups) and some excellent playoff numbers. Probably shouldn't have jumped to the WHA has far as his legacy goes but hey, he's in so I guess it didn't matter much. Played very well in the WHA which I didn't realize.

I see Barrasso as better than both Cheevers and Vachon and a few others. His omission to me seems pretty obvious which is not what the thread is about but I'll note it anyway.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Auston Escobar

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
I voted no. He was a minor-leaguer for much of the 1960's—Toronto didn't see a future in the NHL for him—and I don't think Boston was ever entirely comfortable with him either. My views are tainted by the fact that he ditched the NHL for the WHA in his prime, and by the fact that he had a less than glowing international record. If you go strictly by his NHL performance, he was seldom a leader in the major goaltending categories.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Rayner? WORTERS?!

Right? Two goalies often considered to be bottom tier HHOF goalies..........like Cheevers. Sorry, am I missing something here or did these two goalies all of the sudden hit the upper tier?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'll be honest, I thought this poll would be in favour of Cheevers, or at least be split down the middle. Lots of people don't agree with him in there. When I started this poll I was almost half waiting for someone like Killion to come here and slap me for even making a poll like this. So I am surprised it is this lopsided.

I guess my question to some would be what other goalie but Cheevers do you believe would have been given the starting position for the 1972 Series had he not jumped for the WHA? I'll also point out that the Soviets thought Cheevers played better than any other Canadian goalie from 1972 when he played in the 1974 WHA Summit Series.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Right? Two goalies often considered to be bottom tier HHOF goalies..........like Cheevers. Sorry, am I missing something here or did these two goalies all of the sudden hit the upper tier?

Actually Worters ranks in the 100-150 range amongst Top 100 Player candidates.

Top teens amongst goalies:

HOH Top 40 Goaltenders of All Time

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: seventieslord

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I guess calling Chunk Rayner a lower-third (not lower-tier) HHOF netminder is probably accurate. Probably better than Harry Lumley all-in-all, but never received anywhere near the same team support, and got the misfortune of being a bit older than Lumley, meaning he lost some valuable years. Significantly better HHOF'er case than, say, Ed Giacomin, as far as I'm concerned.

But Worters... ouch. The only thing that really keeps him away from upper third status is the fact he only played 11 playoffs games, and when looking at the teams he played for, one quickly understands why.

We're talking about a goaltender with four Top-5 Hart finishes here. On top of my head, there's only five of these, and the other four are Patrick Roy, Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur and Glenn Hall.

Which makes the whole thing ironic : the only, only, only kind of reasoning that could possibly make players like Rayners and Worters "Bottom-Tier" is the exactly the kind of awful reasoning required to make Cheevers a palatable HHOF CANDIDATE (and I'm not even talking about being actually enshrined). There's probably a good 3-way comparison to be made between Gerry Cheevers, Marc-André Fleury and Corey Crawford... And I'm not quite sure Cheevers comes on top of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Cheevers basically peaked at age 29 in 69-70, his third year as the Bruins' starter, and backstopped them to their legendary Bobby Orr-led steamroller run over all the teams en route to the Cup that year. In 72 he melted down in the Finals against the Rangers and gave up 5 goals in game 1 and 5 again in game 3. Johnston held the Rags to 2 goals a game.

When he came back he was part of Don Cherry's lunchbucket squad. In their run to the Final in 77, Cheevers again melted down and gave up 7 goals in game 1, which I think really deflated the Bruins squad, which lost in four straight. They took another run to the Final the next year, but he didn't play well enough to put them over the top, except for the one game in which he shut out the Habs, but he played inconsistently in the previous series' that year and was being pulled for Ron Grahame. But he was always kind of inconsistent like that: he'd blow a game, play a few okay games, then play an excellent, shutdown dominant game, then another meltdown, then he'd play okay... I think that is probably why he was never simply THE GUY for the Bruins and had to split duties most of the time. I thought he was one of the weaker links on Cherry's team, and he'd always get exposed playoff time, it seemed like you'd be playing poker every time you put him in.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
When he came back he was part of Don Cherry's lunchbucket squad. In their run to the Final in 77, Cheevers again melted down and gave up 7 goals in game 1, which I think really deflated the Bruins squad, which lost in four straight. They took another run to the Final the next year, but he didn't play well enough to put them over the top, except for the one game in which he shut out the Habs, but he played inconsistently in the previous series' that year and was being pulled for Ron Grahame. But he was always kind of inconsistent like that: he'd blow a game, play a few okay games, then play an excellent, shutdown dominant game, then another meltdown, then he'd play okay... I think that is probably why he was never simply THE GUY for the Bruins and had to split duties most of the time. I thought he was one of the weaker links on Cherry's team, and he'd always get exposed playoff time, it seemed like you'd be playing poker every time you put him in.
And 1979 he was yanked after losing the first 2 to Montreal.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad