Do we use the amnesty buyout(s)?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I see no one who would be a definite candidate. If I had to pick one (and just to see if Viqsi will re-emerge) I'd say Umberger. Signed for awhile and at a pretty hefty dollar. 2nd choice would be Wiz but I really don't see either as a real candidate.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'd use it on R.J. Umberger if no one would take him in a trade. He's an overpaid dud.

I say we see if we can trade the buyouts for draft picks...

I'm sure the owner would really consider that when his team is already bleeding badly...

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't really think there are any candidates for being bought out considering we already dumped or bought out the bad contracts. Mason will be expiring at the end of the year as will Brassard.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Answer to OP question: No, I doubt it.

I agree that Umberger and Wiz are overpaid. However, Umberger is owed 18.6 million 2013-14 and afterwards. There's no way McConnell pays him 12 million to go play on another team. For Wiz it would be even more. Just got to suck it up and hope those two can bring it.

Also, I'd rather have Boll spot in for duty on the 4th line for 1 year at 1 million than to pay him 600 K to sit at home. From all accounts, he's a consummate team player and unlikely to be a cancer even if he spends some time in the press box to make way for the young'uns if need be.

The clause is tailor-made for contracts like Gomez and Redden (short contract remaining, big cap hit, non-contributing players) that are on big-market (profitable) teams.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I see no one who would be a definite candidate. If I had to pick one (and just to see if Viqsi will re-emerge) I'd say Umberger. Signed for awhile and at a pretty hefty dollar. 2nd choice would be Wiz but I really don't see either as a real candidate.

I agree with this and neither of these contracts are amnesty worthy. Hopefully RJ comes to camp in shape this year and doesn't get off to such a horrible start and Wiz doesn't sit for a half season because of injuries and suspensions.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I don't see anyone either.

I don't have a problem with Umby. He is probably a tad overpaid, but if Howson would ever build a team in which Umby could play where he is most effective, and the team was winning, then no one would have an issue with his salary.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Frankly I don't see anything that sticks out as something we would be interested in buying out.

Now if anyone wants to start this season, it's us. We've got a few players we really want to see on the ice before new contracts. Anisimov, Bob, and Letestu being fairly big. Even Atkinson coming up on his new RFA contract. Mason as well.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'd be surprised to see us even consider it, as we will be nowhere near the cap this year, and with the contracts expiring after this year, likely not next year either.

ernmorris

Jun 9, 2008
I think the more interesting question is do we try to pick up someone who has been bought out? It would be nice to add some offense to this team.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I think the more interesting question is do we try to pick up someone who has been bought out? It would be nice to add some offense to this team.
Me too but not sure if that's Davidson's plan. We will see soon I guess. Also, would anyone decent even sign with us at this stage? If we sign someone that was bought out, I think it's more for depth that will make us yawn, rather then a solid player that will make us jump in the air with excitement.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Me too but not sure if that's Davidson's plan. We will see soon I guess. Also, would anyone decent even sign with us at this stage? If we sign someone that was bought out, I think it's more for depth that will make us yawn, rather then a solid player that will make us jump in the air with excitement.

My guess is that the buyout guys will be of the Scott Gomez,Wade Redden type. In other words guys we don't want. Since clubs can spend to the 70 mill this year, there is no way they buyout their good players. Maybe after the season when clubs have to get to 64 mill for next year there will be a better selection. Although i think I remember JD saying he isn't a big fan of free agents.

Edit: Just read that amnesty buyouts are for AFTER this season and next so no immediate "help" available.

Last edited:

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
A brick at a time.

The fans will have the opportunity to watch the team grow together.

Sounds like build from within if you ask me. While he has said you trade assets to acquire what you lack, you need to find out what you have first so I don't see a lot moves until the off season.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What if someone else from another team gets bought out that we would have a need for? Then I could see someone being bought out to make room for them. It all comes down to what JD wants.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If the rumors are true and we get two amnesty buyouts for the end of next season, is there anyone we would use them on? In talks with my friends, the only person I could think is Boll because there are so many other beaters we could use for league minimum.

Not a chance CBJ uses this clause. Any contract that could be considered would be too big for a club like the CBJ to buy out. any smaller contract (like your Boll reference) would seem silly. With every buyout there is a replacement that needs to come in. I'm a firm believer that JD will not rush players from the minors to fill spots on the big roster unless they can play in the NHL.

Last meeting I attended with JD involved he's looking to add draft picks and prospects to strengthen the future. I'm not implying we tank this year but I don't see short fixes and empty promises base on his history. No buyouts

Kutter

Jan 27, 2008
Dublin
Agree, unlikely to see any buyouts. Not a lot of fat to cut from this team right now.

Umberger and Wiz are needed veteran players that will help shepherd our young players. Both are solid guys, do a lot for the community, and should serve as good role models.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Tyutin is the guy that no one talks about who is on an absurd contract--it was absurd under the old CBA and it is more absurd now. In my view, we have too much of this defense locked up for too long...at a time when we have young defenseman who will need playing time.

Keep in mind that the buyout can be exercised in either of the next two off-seasons.

Stratetic acquisition of a player with a mid-range contract to be bought out as part of a larger deal should be considered in the right deal. But my guess is no buyouts get used this off-season, though it is possible the following season depending on how some of the defensemen develop.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Whatever you think of Tyutin's contract, he's more of an asset than a liability and it would seem to me that a guy like that is more of a candidate to trade than to buy out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad