Do we need to fire Tocchett?

Plain and simple who would fire Tocchett?

• Total voters

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Tocchett's track record as a bench boss isn't very good and he's showing 'zero' ability to change the fundamental problems this team has.

His inability to get the PP working also is a big factor to his lack of coaching acumen.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I would not have hired him in the first place, but right now I think we have to ride it out for the rest of the season.

I think if we are a lottery team at season's end, blow up the whole coaching staff.

Reactions: BUX7PHX

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not developing youth.

Team doesn’t show up to start games.

Too much about pushing non elite players to fit a Pittsburgh system that benefited greatly from having two of the best players in the game. I don’t think Tocchet can adjust system to match skill set of players actually On our team.

PP is abysmal.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I think that he's closer to the firing side, at this point. I wouldn't be opposed to Allen getting a shot based on results this season to see if he can get anything out of the team.

I do think if there is a firing happening, it will take most likely to the end of the season/out of playoff contention. UNLESS the team continues its current poor form for several more games... then I'd hope he wouldn't last that long.

Related question to the original.... so would everyone say that RT is now on the hot seat? Warm seat?

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
We have a better, more progressive system than Tipp gave us. Top-rated pk.

I dont know if he (and Tipp) were sheltering rookies to an extent by "demoting" them. I saw growth in Strome this year - Crouse as well.

In our post-Detroit era, I think it will be all-telling if he can adapt the system so it is not as easily defended.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
I feel like that is part of the here, the team is largely a mystery, are any of these young players any good?
Coaches also a mystery, maybe the players are great and the coaching sucks or maybe the players are just not as good as we hope and the coaching is excellent.
Also Chayka has no firm track record yet either, too soon to truly judge his drafting and trading record.
All that being said, I am far more comfortable firing coaches than I am trading any more young players.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think he’s earned until the end of the year. They’ve shown improvement. If we keep free falling then can him at the end of the year

I'll give him to the end of the year. Need to see improvement. Not necessarily playoffs, but a team that looks like they can compete with anyone.

Reactions: kbay

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
I think he needs to go by the end of the year unless he can show an ability to make adjustments during the game. The PP has to be fixed. Same scheme, same results. He has not impressed me.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
2 more years left on his contract after this season.....will be very surprised if he doesn't return.

MacLean needs to go.

Reactions: kbay

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Depends on who the replacement would be. I'm not really a fan of firing for the sake of firing so unless they have someone in mind like say Quenneville (why not, got everything else Chicago...well except you know...Toews, Kane, Keith and Crawford) set to replace him, I'd give him the rest of the season to show some serious progress. That said I'm really annoyed about how he's handled the youngsters. That was the one criticism I felt was valid in regards to Tippet and hoped it would change under Tocchet but that's not really been the case.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Neither Chayka nor Tocchet is really showing anything definitive that makes them worth keeping. That's pretty disappointing. Not surprising nearly the entire roster is a mirror image of that.

Reactions: Llama19

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Probably yeah. We probably can't afford to though, and we probably can't afford to hire a replacement mid season. I'd say give him and Chayka the rest of this season, and can them both unless there's some dramatic changes.

Then we can start rebuild number 964¶§.95.87™:Rebuilding the hard way.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I'd get that Mark Hunter in as GM and bring in Sheldon Keefe as coach
In my opinion he should have been hired as the coach instead of Tocchett from the get go, i think he's going to be a great NHL coach, he's an analytics style coach that i think would be perfect to work with Chayka, just like how he's been so successful with Dubas (i also think Toronto would let him interview right now), Chayka to me has done a great job and there is no way i move on from him yet. Especially with the fact he does it on a budget. A couple moves i don't agree with but for the most part this team is much better and i'd love to see what they could do with some offensive systems that actually work. I have no idea how Maclean hasn't been fired yet, to me that was the thing to do before the Schmaltz trade. That being said i think the trade was a lateral move, because i believe both players are 2C caliber, but Strome's not a player i want on my team come playoff time. If Chayka had got a 3rd round pick or something along that value i would have liked the deal more just because i'm not happy about losing Perlini as a premium.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
I don't know, look how long it took us to learn the system last year?

I wouldn't be upset about a firing but not excited about it either. Just 'meh'.

Not sure how to fix this without more talent and money.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Having a very inexperienced GM is killing us. Now we have an inexperienced coach that the GM seems to idolize so there's probably very little if any management coming from GM to coach. The latest moves on and off the ice reek of two guys trying to save their jobs. I'd start with Chayka and try to get a GM in here that will put together a solid plan and actually manage the HC. If he can't get the coach on the right track, then fire the coach and let him bring in his guy. I love the system Tocc is trying to implement. He just has shown no ability to develop or coach up anyone nor has he held the vets accountable. Maybe a GM with a strong personality could teach him how to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad