Do we make a move or two in the next 48 hrs to avoid losing guys to waivers?

Do we make a move or two in the next 48 hrs to avoid losing guys to waivers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Just curious what others think we do in the lead up to when rosters have to be set. Do we make a move or two in the next 48 hrs to avoid losing guys to waivers?

Without any trades we could be exposing a number of guys who have a decent chance of getting claimed.

Carrick, Holl, Gauthier, Marincin, McE, Sparks, Pickard

What teams could you see interested in any of these guys?

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Hard to make a trade for a player who should be on waivers when there is a huge collection of free players who were actually put on waivers.

Losing decent players to waivers kinda sucks but it is also a great sign. It's a little counter-intuitive but you should almost be proud of the quality of players you lose to waivers.

Reactions: Frelimo and kb

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Only McElhinney and Sparks have a decent chance of getting picked. Who cares about the others? They really don't have that much value to worry about. I am not going to lose sleep about losing any of them.

Reactions: francis246

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think we move Carrick and a goalie.

If I had to pick a team interested in Carrick, I would guess the Oilers. They have some weird stuff going on with their roster right now by waiving Aberg and Jerabek, and Cap Friendly has their roster down to 20 (19 after Jerabek) and not a lot of cap space to spare. They are also weak on the RH side with Larsson and Benning and possibly Bouchard.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I dont see anyone worthy of a waiver pick up unless its Levio, Carrick or maybe Mcbackup

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Just curious what others think we do in the lead up to when rosters have to be set. Do we make a move or two in the next 48 hrs to avoid losing guys to waivers?

Without any trades we could be exposing a number of guys who have a decent chance of getting claimed.

Carrick, Holl, Gauthier, Marincin, McE, Sparks, Pickard

What teams could you see interested in any of these guys?
Carrick, Mc, maybe Sparks. I could see a team taking a flier on the Goat, he does win wherever he goes it seems.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Easier said than done. Every team has these players that they'd love to trade for some form of value back.

I don't see anyone having any value at this time. Maybe Carrick because of his age and perhaps some raw potential there, but outside of that... I really doubt any of the players listed would interest any teams other than perhaps sending back their own fodder/depth.

Back up goaltenders also have very little value.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
Why would some other team trade for those guys right before almost every team puts players like that on waivers.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would be great if there's any trade value with Carrick, less likely one of the goalies, and maybe Gauthier (though I expect he'll make the team). That seems like best case scenario.

Last edited:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Why would some other team trade for those guys right before almost every team puts players like that on waivers.

If they are higher up on the claim list for instance and they believe that someone else below them might take them. This guarantees that they do get them. And/or the Leafs are in the same situation and want a player that the other team is going to waive also. I mean, the return isn't going to be high or anything either way, maybe just a late round pick or contract for contract

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
The goalies have no chance of getting anything because other teams aren't gonna give up an asset for waiver fodder.

The Leafs probably wanna keep Holl, Gauthier and Marincin as depth pieces.

Carrick could get a pick.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Dubie has been trying to trade Sparkie and carrick for a week. Everyone knows already. Hard to get a pick from someone when they know they will be free shortly.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I am not saying that this is going to happen, but it is possible for the Leafs to retain salary this year on Carrick in order to get a pick back in a trade. A cap strapped team may choose this if they could not afford the entire salary through a waiver claim.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I could see some team out there giving a 7th in 2020 or something like that for Gauthier. Teams covet big centres and maybe a team out there feels they can make it work with him. Or maybe I'm crazy.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
only our goalies would get claimed and maybe carrick. but with so many guys around the league having to clear waivers at the same time I'm not sure any of ours will get picked up

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What's the big worry. If they can't make the Leafs....so what. The rules of waivers make the claiming team put that player on the NHL roster, which is one reason so few players are claimed after pre season.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
If they are higher up on the claim list for instance and they believe that someone else below them might take them. This guarantees that they do get them. And/or the Leafs are in the same situation and want a player that the other team is going to waive also. I mean, the return isn't going to be high or anything either way, maybe just a late round pick or contract for contract
Sure but they would need to be very high on one particular Leafs player that is not making the team. If they're just looking for some help in general the smart move would be to try claiming someone and if they end up with empty hands look for a trade afterwards.
And I don´t think the Leafs are looking for more bottom pairing D, 4th line players and backups at this point.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Hard to make a trade for a player who should be on waivers when there is a huge collection of free players who were actually put on waivers.

Losing decent players to waivers kinda sucks but it is also a great sign. It's a little counter-intuitive but you should almost be proud of the quality of players you lose to waivers.

If you were losing 28-33 yo vets to waivers because youth pushed them out then, yeah, I’d be proud of the quality. But what’s happening is we’re losing youth that just wasn’t fully developed in time and kept the 28-33 yo vets instead because they were still better.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
If you were losing 28-33 yo vets to waivers because youth pushed them out then, yeah, I’d be proud of the quality. But what’s happening is we’re losing youth that just wasn’t fully developed in time and kept the 28-33 yo vets instead because they were still better.

My personal opinion is that we have much, much more important things to worry about than losing the players we might lose to waivers.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

What youth are we losing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad