Post-Game Talk: 18/19 Endless boilerplate arguments regarding Management thread | Pt. V. Oil up your mouse wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Of course it had more to do with the players you mentioned. Obviously being able to out score your opponent is paramount to any teams success.

the point is Tom Wilson and the way he played created turnovers, time and space for his teammates. This is a fact and his role was a vital piece in the run to the cup.

As far as the comment about winning it before... his role was less as a player who played deeper in the lineup and obviously many factors go into a championship. Many a great players can't even get their teams past the first round or into the playoffs without having the necessary components and some luck....i dont think this needs to be explained to you

There you go. The bolded is all that needs to be said.

I'm not saying that we should turn into a team that doesn't have anyone who plays physical. If you read my post that you responded to, I'm saying that it's pointless to bring in talentless plugs just because they're physical. If you can bring in someone who's talented but also happens to play physical, great. But to pay a high price to bring in plugs like Dorsett, Prust, Gudbranson, and others simply makes no sense. And that's exactly what Benning has done, under the guise of "they'll create a safe working environment for our young players." That's the bit that's been proven wrong. That's also the same bit that some Benning Bro's used to justify these transactions. They too have been proven wrong. That's all this is.

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016
How can anyone expect a push back if no one on the ice or on the bench saw the play or even knew what happened until after the game?

I guess it's too much to hope for that the players we pay a premium for to be 'culture carriers' would notice that our rookie that is 5 games deep in his NHL career, and by far our best player through those 5 games, suddenly disappears for most of the third period. Or even notice that when he came back to the bench that he is woozy as hell and looks shaken up. Guess these guys need to be shown the tape to notice that EP40 wasn't on the bench. What a joke.

Not asking somebody to 'Bertuzzi' Matheson but there needs to be some sort of emotion or push-back after you lose your best player to a dirty play. Just a gutless showing by a largely gutless team.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I guess the GM's of the other 15 playoff thought it was an overpay. Also, this doesn't prove anything as GM's sign stupid contracts all time. Gudbranson was signed to make a "safe working environment for the kids" and the whole team did nothing when their best player was cheapshoted. I know Green said not to get retribution but, having our best players cheapshoted can not become routine.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I guess the GM's of the other 15 playoff thought it was an overpay. Also, this doesn't prove anything as GM's sign stupid contracts all time. Gudbranson was signed to make a "safe working environment for the kids" and the whole team did nothing when their best player was cheapshoted. I know Green said not to get retribution but, having our best players cheapshoted can not become routine.

RMB is just playing devils advocate here.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not sure exactly what's being discussed here, but for an obvious comparison...

Luca Sbisa
Benning Contract - 3 years, $10,800,000
Post Benning adjustment - 1 year, $1,500,000

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not sure exactly what's being discussed here, but for an obvious comparison...

Luca Sbisa
Benning Contract - 3 years, $10,800,000
Post Benning adjustment - 1 year, $1,500,000

Jason Garrison
Gillis Contract - 6 years $27,600,000
Post Gillis adjustment - 1 year, $650,000

Relevance - 0

Reactions: Numba9 and Nomobo

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Depends on which GM. Dorion? Bergivin? Chiarelli?

See this is the type of sad and down right pathetic arguments from the Benningians: hey at least there are others who are dimmer than Jim!

This is how low we are setting the bar for a GM? Haha

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Jason Garrison
Gillis Contract - 6 years $27,600,000
Post Gillis adjustment - 1 year, $650,000

Relevance - 0

Of course that's a relevance of 0 because it's a completely different situation. Garrison was a 27 year old UFA, who delivered for the first 3-4 years of his contract but floundered when he hit his 30's, as is the risk with those players. Garrison's new contract is for the past-prime mid 30's Garrison.

We got Sbisa on his 2nd contract, had a year to evaluate him where everyone thought he was horrible, except for Benning who gave with Sbisa still being an RFA gave him a 3 year extension with a significant raise. The 28 year old Sbisa on his 1 year UFA contract is still more or less the same Sbisa that we acquired 4 years ago and the same Sbisa through the 3 years of that Benning contract.

There's a small variation as Benning gave Gudbranson a 1 year contract first, and he isn't quite as horrible as Sbisa was, but otherwise it's following the same process.

Reactions: Morenz and Peter10

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Of course that's a relevance of 0 because it's a completely different situation. Garrison was a 27 year old UFA, who delivered for the first 3-4 years of his contract but floundered when he hit his 30's, as is the risk with those players. Garrison's new contract is for the past-prime mid 30's Garrison.

We got Sbisa on his 2nd contract, had a year to evaluate him where everyone thought he was horrible, except for Benning who gave with Sbisa still being an RFA gave him a 3 year extension with a significant raise. The 28 year old Sbisa on his 1 year UFA contract is still more or less the same Sbisa that we acquired 4 years ago and the same Sbisa through the 3 years of that Benning contract.

There's a small variation as Benning gave Gudbranson a 1 year contract first, and he isn't quite as horrible as Sbisa was, but otherwise it's following the same process.

And the situation at the time Sbisa signed his extension and Sbisa this summer isn't different?

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Didnt Benning also said that a few GMs called him to say what a great contract he gave to Dorset? I feel like other GMs are just messing with Benning, complimenting his bad moves so he makes more of them in the future. Like at poker where everybody complimenting a guy who calls all in with bottom pair, they want him to keep doing that because its profitable for the rest of the table. Just my hunch though.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Didnt Benning also said that a few GMs called him to say what a great contract he gave to Dorset? I feel like other GMs are just messing with Benning, complimenting his bad moves so he makes more of them in the future. Like at poker where everybody complimenting a guy who calls all in with bottom pair, they want him to keep doing that because its profitable for the rest of the table. Just my hunch though.

This sounds hilariously plausible
:laugh:

Reactions: Jack Burton

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Not really sure where to post this, but where do you guys find your various statistics for games past the basics?

Specifically I would like to see how many goals are scored at various stages of the game and various situations

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
After 4 years all I gotz is Pettersson and Boeser to replace the Sedins.

F*ck you Francisco.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Having Pettersson and Boeser to replace Henrik and Daniel are about as good as we can hope for without drafting a McDavid or Matthews.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

He definitely said that about the Sbisa deal. It was at a STH town hall event, I was sitting about 20 feet away from him remember it very clearly.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Not sure what you're trying to say here. Having Pettersson and Boeser to replace Henrik and Daniel are about as good as we can hope for without drafting a McDavid or Matthews.

Havent replaced the likes of Luongo, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, (young) Edler, Kesler, Burrows.

All this team has is Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson and a couple of D (Edler, Tanev) who are in the wrong end of their career now and some good prospects. Its going to be a long way before this team will a be consistantly good.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Havent replaced the likes of Luongo, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, (young) Edler, Kesler, Burrows.

This is stupid. First of all, that's not even related to what I was responding to. Second of all, did Gillis replace the above? Most of those guys weren't even Gillis' acquisitions. There was a moment in time where that group of players with Sedins at their best allowed the team to compete for the Cup.

All this team has is Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson and a couple of D (Edler, Tanev) who are in the wrong end of their career now and some good prospects. Its going to be a long way before this team will a be consistantly good.

From what you are saying, the team has their 1st and 2nd line C, and a young 1st line RW in place. You make it sound like that's nothing. They also have Quinn Hughes and "some good prospects." Yes the short term future doesn't look great, but in terms of the long term future, the team does have some good young players/prospects in place IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad