Do we have bad ice?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It seems that flat pucks are jumping for no reason and there have been a few instances that have cost us possession and even in some cases a goal. Does anyone know how are our ice compares to the league average? To me we should easily have good ice and be in the top portion of the league in that category but we don't seem to be.
Thoughts?

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
I hate to be that guy - that says he knows a guy. But i do know a guy, and it seems the consensus is the ice *usually* is a little rough... and that there is a big difference between practicing at the IcePlex and playing at MTSC.

Announcers on tv and radio also make reference to it a couple times a season... So i am obligated to believe there is traction to it.

Visually there seems to be a ton of weird bounces this year especially, more so than in the past

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Yes, we have bad ice. Especially the northend of the rink. I also know a AAA player that has played numerous times at the MTS centre and said he didn't the ice because it was to soft. Just wait till a Jet gets hurt due to it. It's already cost us some goals.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
MTS center ice has never been that good, but it seems a little worse this year.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Being close to the ice, I can tell you its been a lot worse the last couple of games.
Generally I'd say its above average, but lately it'd be pretty bad.

You can see the inconsistencies in the ice, certain spots the ice isnt firm enough, while in other place its a very dry ice.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Last year I was often cold in the mts arena vthis year I am not. The interior temp may be an issue with the ice quality

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
All we have to do is keep the doors open and we will have the best ice in the NHL.

They even gave us scarfs to wear at the games. ;)

From what I've heard... most NHL arena have horrible ice. Too bad that we have the best players playing in poor conditions.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
This is a real interesting question. TNSE has been very pro-active in spending money to improve the team. Whether that's in the staff, scouting, etc. They've also spent money on the MTS centre in terms of reno's, and I believe more are coming.

Which leads to the ice. Is this a priority for TNSE?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
This is a real interesting question. TNSE has been very pro-active in spending money to improve the team. Whether that's in the staff, scouting, etc. They've also spent money on the MTS centre in terms of reno's, and I believe more are coming.

Which leads to the ice. Is this a priority for TNSE?

They performed a massive upgrade on the ice plant in 2011.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
It seems to me that for a handful of games this season, the ice has been soft. You can see the players struggling to skate and the pucks taking weird bounces on passes.

Would be nice to see this issue resolved.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
FWIW, I've been told by someone "in the know" to start dressing warmer in the phone booth because the inside air temperature will be lowered starting this Friday for the Preds game.

P.S. Hi All! Loooong time lurker, first time poster here!

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
FWIW, I've been told by someone "in the know" to start dressing warmer in the phone booth because the inside air temperature will be lowered starting this Friday for the Preds game.

If this is true, that would be most excellent.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

Excellent. It was far too warm back when I saw them play Boston in the preseason. And going to Sunday's game so I'll make sure to bundle up (aka a hoodie underneath my jersey)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I know the ice looked pretty bad in the Detroit game as players from both teams were falling over without anyone touching them. Quite a few posters on the Detroit board were commenting on it as well.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yes, we have bad ice. Especially the northend of the rink. I also know a AAA player that has played numerous times at the MTS centre and said he didn't the ice because it was to soft. Just wait till a Jet gets hurt due to it. It's already cost us some goals.

Lol. Of course it's soft. NHL rinks ALL are really soft. It's terrible if you are used to playing in better ice, but every single NHL rink is like that and NHLers are used to it.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
They performed a massive upgrade on the ice plant in 2011.

Interesting. That's what I would have "thought" considering TNSE's willingness to invest.

Which leads to the question, "why is the ice still bad then?"

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I definitly noticed it was considerably warmer at the two games i've made it to this year as opposed to last year. Gotta think that might have something to do with the ice quality.

Would be good to see the ice improved. Being from such a "hockey" city makes you really want to put forth from the best ice. It doesn't really mean anything but it feels hollow talking about being a great hockey town but then having **** ice.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting. That's what I would have "thought" considering TNSE's willingness to invest.

Which leads to the question, "why is the ice still bad then?"

Plenty of things effect it.
One major reason is how often it's covered. Busy arenas where they cover the ice for concerts and stuff tend to have poor ice. MSG is a good example of this. The Moose had brutal ice because almost every off day had an event at the MTSC. TNSE has scaled it back for the Jets, but its still a very busy venue.

Outside temperature also plays a role. The staff could have been expecting cooler weather by now.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Lol. Of course it's soft. NHL rinks ALL are really soft. It's terrible if you are used to playing in better ice, but every single NHL rink is like that and NHLers are used to it.

Not sure what you are saying here.

That the ice is going to be bad, and because other rinks in the NHL have bad ice that we should be ok with it?

The Oilers used to have great ice, but then changed their ice guy and now I think their ice has suffered. So there would be ways to make "better" ice I would think.

I would personnaly like to see TNSE commit to having the best ice they can. Especially since it looks like we are building a team with speed.

Turn off the heat and turn on the AC in December in the building if the have to. :naughty:

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The 300 level was crazy hot during the Wings game. Noticed before the game that heat was blasting in the concourse, which I thought was odd because I didn't even have the heat going in my vehicle. You'd think with 15000 bodies piling in you wouldn't need to add much more heat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad