Do we have an issue with goalie scouting?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Goalies.

We don’t have anything as a sure bet. With Andy showing his age, we need someone other than Condon.

Hogberg? Gustavsson? McKenna?

Gusty is being banked in, but has not been the heir apparent.

We haven’t been lucky the last 5 years with goalies.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Goalies are such a crap shoot as prospects..

We have a number of prospects who look real good though.. Gustavsson, Hogberg, Daccord all could be NHL guys in my opinion. Mandolese and Hollett are maybe a bit more raw but definitely have some potential.

My guess is when Andy retires in a couple years, Gustavsson should be ready to be an NHL option, probably with a vet like a Condon or someone else who has experience

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I feel like a serviceable number 1 can always be had for a 1st round pick.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
We were known as a goalie graveyard for the better part of a decade before Andy showed up, and our only noteworthy draft picks include Emery, Lehner, and Elliott.

I guess I'm trying to ask, have we ever not had an issue with goalie scouting?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Goalies are such a crap shoot as prospects..

We have a number of prospects who look real good though.. Gustavsson, Hogberg, Daccord all could be NHL guys in my opinion. Mandolese and Hollett are maybe a bit more raw but definitely have some potential.

My guess is when Andy retires in a couple years, Gustavsson should be ready to be an NHL option, probably with a vet like a Condon or someone else who has experience

They definitely are tough to scout, which is why we should always have a lot of them in the pipeline. I think we should draft a goaltending prospect every year to two years. You then drop an underperformer every year and plug in your latest prospect.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
We were known as a goalie graveyard for the better part of a decade before Andy showed up, and our only noteworthy draft picks include Emery, Lehner, and Elliott.

Across like a seven year stretch I think those were our only goalie picks.

I say it every draft, and it's already been said here. You pretty much need to pick a goalie in every draft. Sometimes third round or higher, sometimes late round.

But goalies are so young when drafted compared to when they actually break into the league, it's nearly impossible to project what's going to happen to a player in 7 or 8 years after their draft.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Across like a seven year stretch I think those were our only goalie picks.

I say it every draft, and it's already been said here. You pretty much need to pick a goalie in every draft. Sometimes third round or higher, sometimes late round.

But goalies are so young when drafted compared to when they actually break into the league, it's nearly impossible to project what's going to happen to a player in 7 or 8 years after their draft.
This is why I suggested just trade a high pick for an established #1, a la leaves for Andersen, Avs for varly or devils for Schneider. Pay once with a highish pick for a sure thing and be done with it. The position is too important to leave it to chance.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is why I suggested just trade a high pick for an established #1, a la leaves for Andersen, Avs for varly or devils for Schneider. Pay once with a highish pick for a sure thing and be done with it. The position is too important to leave it to chance.

At this point, I would seriously consider it. Seems the days of any team reliably developing netminders is over (which is another problem for the league...wtf is happening with netminders...all these goalie coaches and better equipment and training/teaching, yet goalie development is getting worse?? how?).

But only at a time when we are ready to compete. In this rebuild (or whatever the hell the team is trying to do), the best bet is a decent plugin goalie for a few years that is reasonably reliable.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Emery and lehner both would have been legit starters if not for personal issues that were impossible to predict.

Unless you're picking early when a guylike price or Fleury happens to be available, it's a total crap shoot for goalies.

Goalies don't tend to show their true colours until they're in their 20s

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
At this point, I would seriously consider it. Seems the days of any team reliably developing netminders is over (which is another problem for the league...wtf is happening with netminders...all these goalie coaches and better equipment and training/teaching, yet goalie development is getting worse?? how?).

But only at a time when we are ready to compete. In this rebuild (or whatever the hell the team is trying to do), the best bet is a decent plugin goalie for a few years that is reasonably reliable.
You can't teach mental fortitude and confidence.

Even the most mediocre backup has the ability to be amazing some nights. Consistency is what makes a good goalie great, and you can't see that in a guy till his pro career has been going for a while.

With the exception of the exceptional of course.

But even dominic hasek didn't show the world what he was capable of until his mid twenties

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Emery and lehner both would have been legit starters if not for personal issues that were impossible to predict.

Unless you're picking early when a guylike price or Fleury happens to be available, it's a total crap shoot for goalies.

Goalies don't tend to show their true colours until they're in their 20s

Even if you're picking early, it's a bit of a crapshoot. Rick DiPietro, for example.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I feel like a serviceable number 1 can always be had for a 1st round pick.

I'm sure that's what Nashville thought when they traded us the Erik Karlsson pick so they could draft Chet Pickard.

Or like that time we drafted Chouinard with a 1st rounder, and then again with a 2nd rounder two years later.

Goalies are strange creatures. They're incredibly difficult to predict. You just gotta roll the dice and hope for the best.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lehner seems to be doing well enough in NY now that he's gotten a handle on his personal issues.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm sure that's what Nashville thought when they traded us the Erik Karlsson pick so they could draft Chet Pickard.

Or like that time we drafted Chouinard with a 1st rounder, and then again with a 2nd rounder two years later.

Goalies are strange creatures. They're incredibly difficult to predict. You just gotta roll the dice and hope for the best.
I meant you can trade a first for an established goalie because, like you said, drafting them is nearly impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad