Do we go next year without a captain again?

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
I know that this topic might’ve been discussed to death already and that no one here has the answer obviously but it would be weird to go more than 3 seasons without someone wearing the C so leafs brass is

We have a few good candidates but how do you pick from them?

Tavares is captain material wether he wears the c or not as far as I know so maybe it goes to him by default after he proves himself here for a year.

Matthews is our franchise player and has potential captain written all over him but hasnt lead the leafs to any sort of glory yet although you can’t blame him at all.

Marner is so skilled and seems to bleed more blue than most on the team as far as I can see on tv but then he kinda just looks like a kid having fun out there so might not be the traditional choice for the captaincy.

Rielly has been here a while now and looks good with the A on his jersey. He’s finally starting to look like a true number 1 dman and no one complains about his play on here anymore. He’s not one of the big 3 or anything like that but wow we are lucky to have him.

And my final option I might consider is Patrick Marleau. He’s just about a hall of fame’er and never won a cup so I’m thinking his will to win is as high as anyone’s. Seems like the kids look up to him for leadership on and off the ice so he would be a good option as a stop gap until he retires.

So what do you think will happen with the captaincy? I have no idea but I want our captain to be the most passionate guy about winning it all for our leafs !!!

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
In my opinion its Reilly.
If captaincy is important to AM then I guess we make him happy.

Reactions: nuck

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
It'll be Matthews once he signs his contract.

Tavares/Rielly with A's.
might be the only way he ll sign LOL
Mathews so far doest lead by example ,especially when your a big man in a rough game ,
possibly because he may be injury prone ,
this team gets beat by boston again in the first round ,all these verbal NTC clauses or fictionional meg jackpot contracts will be moot .
billion dolar corporations can jettison people as fast as TRUMP lmao

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It'll be a part of a long term deal if Matthews signs.

Reactions: AreBe

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
We dont have a captain? Lol not to be rude, but if you played any sport growing up, you quickly learn how irrelevant the C on a jersey is. Many teams have leaders behind closed doors that matter more than talking to the ref.

Unless we thought Bozak was an A last yr ... Im sure elite talent and kids listened to him

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you’re looking to put the C on the biggest superstar I think you have to give it to Matthews. He’s an order of magnitude better on the same team than John Tavares so far.

But I’m starting to like the idea of giving it to Rielly. He’s turning into that blue line general we’ve been hoping he’d become.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think our team's Lord Stanley hopes depend upon Matthews going beast mode in the playoffs.

If we ever get that chance, that Game 7 deep in the playoffs, down a goal, it could very well be him we need to use his body skill and will to make that play.

This is Auston's team. If he signs an eight year deal I think the C is his.

If he bridges, I pick Tavares.

5 year deal ? Probably still Matthews.

As discussed, it is mostly symbolic on many teams.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Putting a C on a jersey doesn't change anything - the players are already following / recognize leaders in the room.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I think it's silly that they haven't picked a Captain now, let alone go another year without one. The team knows who they are, and the letter on a jersey won't change much.

Matthews, Tavares, or Rielly. Any of the 3 are fine.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Mats said on the radio a while back. It has to go to the person who wants to be the captain, not the person the coaches, teammates, and management want to give it to.

It should go through an internal interview process like at the entry draft to find the person who truly wants it.

If that person doesn't exist then keep going without one

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
It's still up for grabs. Someone needs to be dominant, or not. It is my opinion that Babba Coch could lead a young collaborative room to a Cup.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Wanted JT to get the C at the start of this season, but if it helps us with Matty on his re-up, give it to him along with a blank cheque.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
might be the only way he ll sign LOL
Mathews so far doest lead by example ,especially when your a big man in a rough game ,
possibly because he may be injury prone ,
this team gets beat by boston again in the first round ,all these verbal NTC clauses or fictionional meg jackpot contracts will be moot .
billion dolar corporations can jettison people as fast as TRUMP lmao

I don't think a First Round loss means wholesale changes, it depends on how the series goes. Leafs almost beat Boston, and could very have if not for Kadrsi 3 game suspension. They played strong against a team one year away from the Stanley Cup in Washington two years ago. They are still growing and improving, not likely Stars will be moved unless there are real deficiencies.

Remember, I believe it was a 5-6 year plan to win the Cup, this is only year 3. There is always constant assessment of talent, but they are more in the tweaking state now, most of the parts are in place (assuming they are all signed to contracts)

Last edited:

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
It'll be Matthews once he signs his contract.

Tavares/Rielly with A's.

That's what i feel too but i would love for Rielly to get the C. It has been a pleasure to watch him own that no. 1 D spot and I love his composure in front of the camera. Not to mention his rapport is great with both young and old guys alike.

Reactions: Once

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Not even a mention of willie ? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I think Rielly is the prototypical captain for the franchise. Been through the ups and downs, has been through the transition and is a hell of a player. The only guy on the ice who was willing to go after kronwall the other night.

My heart says Rielly; the brain says Matthews.

Reactions: Leafling

Once

Jul 16, 2010
That's what i feel too but i would love for Rielly to get the C. It has been a pleasure to watch him own that no. 1 D spot and I love his composure in front of the camera. Not to mention his rapport is great with both young and old guys alike.

Have to agree. He has an old soul to him.

Reactions: Leafling

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->