Do we get any 3-1 series comebacks in round 1?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
With CAR tying their series at 2-2, we have 4 series guaranteed to go 6 games, 2 sweeps in the books, and 2 series with a 3-1 sitution.

The #1 and #2 teams in the West record-wise are trying to do something that hasn't been done in 4 years, but historically since 1987 has been happening every few years.

San Jose took one step closer, Calgary still has their game 5 tomorrow.

What are the chances we get 1 3-1 comeback, if not 2?

The last time we had two teams in one round comeback from 3-1 down was 2003, so the odds are not in their favor.

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
I can't see Calgary coming back. They've looked terrible in these playoffs. If anyone's going to pull it off, I think it would be the Sharks. Though IMO they're unlikely to survive game 6 in Vegas.

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
I can see San Jose doing it. The Flames are probably done, don't think they will.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Honestly do not see Calgary or San Jose coming all the way back.....especially Calgary....yikes...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Neither. Calgary ain't getting back to Denver and San Jose is going to get destroyed on Sunday in Vegas.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Flames-defense-04.18.png
maybe SJ, but it's doubtful.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
San Jose could if Jones plays like he did last night, Calgary has been shockingly outplayed badly by Colorado thus far so that comeback seems less likely.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think both teams are capable of a comeback. I think it's unlikely but the Sharks took the first step and now they just need two more. Calgary has to make a big turnaround. I think Mike Smith can keep them in there, is their coaching good enough to do it?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Calgary will win like 5-1 tonight but I doubt they get game 6. San Jose I don’t give a big chance of doing it but it’s there

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Well most people's expectations. Flames were one of the best teams in quality suppression and generation 5on5 in the regular season, so the fact they're being outplayed this badly is baffling.

Coaching staff looks shellshocked. Their defensive strategy is terrible, their transition is awful, their forecheck is a mess, etc. They changed things up for no reason and it f***ed us in the ass. This is peters first playoff series, but yikes has he been bad. We’ve been far worse than Tampa outside of game 1. We are finito.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't understand how Calgary has just been awful in metrics, it literally makes no sense.

Yeah I really don’t get it. The only explanation I can think of is that playoff rookie Peters is getting severely outcoached by Bednar who has some playoff experience from last year.

Makes no sense based on what? Your expectations, I guess? I get that.

Calgary allowed the fewest shots per game in the regular season and they just allowed more than 50 in back to back playoff games. Give credit where it’s due to Colorado, who have played a great series, but the way that series has gone is very strange.

Anyhow, I think San Jose and Colorado are both going to lose their series.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With CAR tying their series at 2-2, we have 4 series guaranteed to go 6 games, 2 sweeps in the books, and 2 series with a 3-1 sitution.

The #1 and #2 teams in the West record-wise are trying to do something that hasn't been done in 4 years, but historically since 1987 has been happening every few years.

San Jose took one step closer, Calgary still has their game 5 tomorrow.

What are the chances we get 1 3-1 comeback, if not 2?

The last time we had two teams in one round comeback from 3-1 down was 2003, so the odds are not in their favor.
Have 2/3 home games likely helps in a 3-1 comeback. If you're going to win a series, you have to be able to win at least 1 road game, as it's harder now to defend home ice for all 3/4 games that you get. If there is good flow in a game, last change won't impact the game much. And arenas are pretty much all the same now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad