Do we buyout Marc Staal

flamesftw

Jan 12, 2018
Marc Staal has been a Ranger for years, and he was at one point one of the better dmen in the league. You could argue he was our best dman between 2010-2014, and he represents this team well.

He makes 5.7 mil till 2020-21, which is clearly too much for him at this stage of his career, however there are still benefits of having him on the team. He’s serviceable as a depth dman and is a leader (referred to as daycare daddy on this young team). He’s 31 years old which is old for this club.

What do you say? I think, while keeping a buyout in mind, we should keep him, at least for next season (then reconsider it the next). He’s a great leader, we should have lots of cap, and he’s still serviceable. While I think he will get bought out at some point before the end of his contract, he was a very very good #1 for this team way back and it would be sad to see him go.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
No point in buying him out if we are rebuilding.

3813367.jpg

/Thread

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
No point. A lot of dead cap between him and Girardi the following season..and for six more years total between the two of them. He'll have good stretches this year, and not so good stretches.

Let's see what a new coach, and new system does for him, and if he's a healthy scratch, we can revisit this thread after the team wins a round or two next offseason :)

Good to keep him around though. Remember, there were periods during Ron Greschner's border line Hall Of Fame career where he was a healthy scratch, especially after the back injury.

Reactions: egelband

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Stop with all this trade talk. He does has a NMC and realistically what team would want him/or can afford him.
As long as the Rangers have cap space, it's never wise to buy a player out. He may be bought out later if the cap is an issue, but by then it lessens the years paid out in dead money.
Interesting that it was so smart to buy out Girardi and then he signs a 2 year contract and getting regular minutes with a first place team.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Stop with all this trade talk. He does has a NMC and realistically what team would want him/or can afford him.
As long as the Rangers have cap space, it's never wise to buy a player out. He may be bought out later if the cap is an issue, but by then it lessens the years paid out in dead money.
Interesting that it was so smart to buy out Girardi and then he signs a 2 year contract and getting regular minutes with a first place team.
His full NMC is in regards to waivers, and his trade protection shifts to a modified NTC on July 1. It isn't unrealistic that he can be moved.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
His full NMC is in regards to waivers, and his trade protection shifts to a modified NTC on July 1. It isn't unrealistic that he can be moved.

Thanks for the info. Just a note. Leafs fans (and some non Leaf fans) think that if the Leafs had Doughty the Leafs had Doughty the Leafs would be instant Cup Finalists. As we have seen in the the playoffs, even playoffs teams have lots of holes on defence, and probably "one guy" isn't going change the fortunes of team that much.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW I don’t see Marc lasting out his 6 year term. What he gives the Rangers right now is stability and experience though which is something we’re in short supply of on our back end. So I wouldn’t be getting rid of him right now.

That said his ability to move the puck in any kind of creative way in the offensive half of the ice is practically zero. He’s a very limited player.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
As long as Hajek and Lindgren are developing in the AHL or competing for roster spots, Staal will be useful in the lineup. If Rykov comes over next season, on top of one of the former two prospects being NHL-ready, I can see there being more discussion. Until then, it’s best to let the term and cap run it’s course.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Staal will be a good voice for the youth movement. AV's system was probably the worst thing for a player like him as well.
Yes, guys like Staal, Girardi, Klein to a degree, now O'Gara, they're really bad fits for an AV/man defensive scheme. They're better fits in a zone scheme, a box +1, something like that, where they don't have to rely on speed to chase guys down and block them off. It's why I've been adamant since we first acquired O'Gara and he played a few games and half the board was ready to throw him in the dumpster that we hold onto him and see what he can do in a different system. Particularly because a few Bruins fans stopped by to say he had some potential.

Staal will never again produce up to his contract. I feel pretty safe in saying that. But he can still be useful, I think, much in the way that Tampa has turned Girardi into a useful player again.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If you are suggesting that actual NHL GMs can thumb their collective noses at the assessment of a players deteriorated skill and lack of value as determined by the hockey minds of an internet message board, I have one word for you...
Cooooorrrrectamundo!

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Staal took some tasty abuse over the years in the league. Specially the eye injury. I'm also on the "keep him and he'll be better under a new coach"-team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad