Do they keep stats for who was in the box during a PPG?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I've always thrown around the idea in my head that the person who was in the box during PP goal against should get a 'minus'.

Just wondering if they keep who was in the box during a PPG.

Things it may tell us...

- how valuable a player may be to his PK.. i.e. PK goes to crap while he's in the box.
- or who happens to take untimely penalties.
- or who the unluckiest guy in the league may be.

I'm thinking the stats would only be useful with HUGE sample sizes.. ie looking back at the previous whole season or more...
Teams only give up about 50 goals a season on the PK... so we may be looking at the league leaders in this category as we do 'short handed goal leaders' where top guys will have like 4-6 against them.

More of curiosity...
.. you know how you sometimes just get the feeling about some players taking a dumb penalty where you know they'll get scored on cuz it just 'feels like it always happens'.

Wizeman*

They should call it the GOAT award. Actually have a picture of a goat on it to boot.

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
Well - the penalized player has no control over whether the ensuing powerplay results in a goal or not.

So to award a minus against the penalized player when a goal is scored, but no minus against the penalized player when no goal is scored, is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Plus

I've always thrown around the idea in my head that the person who was in the box during PP goal against should get a 'minus'.

Just wondering if they keep who was in the box during a PPG.

But then would you have to give players who draw penalties resulting in a PP goal a plus?

Teams do track players taking penalties, when, why, who, where, etc and make roster decisions accordingly.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I Imagine it would be highest among top Pkers and defensemen. Would be fun to see who the biggest goat in the league is. Probably Ben Eager.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I think the player in the box should get a -1 if the penalty was killed and a +1 if it wasn't. This way, if someone's PIM +/- (I guess that's what I'll call it) is 50, he caused 50 goals by taking his penalties.

Edit - What I just said was the same thing as a +/- except I reversed it. :facepalm:

I do like the idea, though.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
So i guess there is no where they actually keep a record of this? just a manual game sheet check?

Nothing official that I'm aware of. I'll bet that some clubs keep track of this - although other than to the extent the player serving the penalty is a key penalty-killer who would otherwise be on the ice, my bet is that it's largely random.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
This kind of stat would have a hard time rising above noise versus signal.

OTOH, handing off a goat trophy every year would be cool so do it anyways :p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->