Do these players make the Hall of Fame?

Do these players make the Hall of Fame?

• Total voters

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Datsyuk easily, and I think Zetterberg is just as deserving. They were equally effective for us. Unfortunately the awards went mostly to Datsyuk prob due to his flashiness, so there's a much greater chance of him getting into the hall than Z.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Zetterberg and Datsyuk will go in together like Kayria and Selanne did.

Osgood might get in eventually, but goalies are rarely ever elected to the Hall of Fame. Since 1993, only six have been put in. That's almost an average of one every five years.

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
When Pavel was voted to the NHL top 100 players of all time last season, that effectively ended any/ all debate re. HOF status.

Z is pretty like to get in too. Unlike MLB, HHOF is selection by a small committee of Hockey lifers, past players, coaches, execs. They’ll recognize what Z brought to the table.

I think even Osgood gets in eventually. If Rogie Vachon can do it, so can Ozzie.

Reactions: FMichael

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Datsyuk 100% in.

Zetterberg- 60-65% IMO. He's pretty much the definition of probable borderline, who generally get in but may take awhile for a weak year. His peak was excellent ofc, but he didn't have much in the way of longevity, and was probably never a top 3 or even 5 forward in the league. Still, if people argue for players like Marleau, I don't see how you can keep Z, who was an objectively better player, out.

Osgood- 0%. Not enough individual success. Yes, his win/loss is insane, as is two cups, but voters know and remember what teams he was on.

Datsyuk easily, and I think Zetterberg is just as deserving. They were equally effective for us. Unfortunately the awards went mostly to Datsyuk prob due to his flashiness, so there's a much greater chance of him getting into the hall than Z.
Outside of of 2007-2009, I really don't think Z was comparable to Datsyuk. No disrespect meant, just for the majority of the time they played, Datsyuk was clearly the better player, and when he wasn't, they were close.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Datsyuk was a very unique talent in this league and I think that will certainly get him into hhof. There's just too many highlight reels for him not to be there. Z, though I think is evety bit as good a player, might not because he's more of a conventional sort of talent (not sure if I'm phrasing this right) and he has a lot more competition with bettet numbers. Ozzy, I feel wont.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Datsyuk 100% in.

Zetterberg- 60-65% IMO. He's pretty much the definition of probable borderline, who generally get in but may take awhile for a weak year. His peak was excellent ofc, but he didn't have much in the way of longevity, and was probably never a top 3 or even 5 forward in the league. Still, if people argue for players like Marleau, I don't see how you can keep Z, who was an objectively better player, out.

Osgood- 0%. Not enough individual success. Yes, his win/loss is insane, as is two cups, but voters know and remember what teams he was on.

Outside of of 2007-2009, I really don't think Z was comparable to Datsyuk. No disrespect meant, just for the majority of the time they played, Datsyuk was clearly the better player, and when he wasn't, they were close.
An honest question if I may - and others here can respond...

Forgive my ignorance, but how many HoF netminders had a poor team in front of them, or how many netminders made it into the HoF that did not win a Cup?

Reactions: NEWing

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
An honest question if I may - and others here can respond...

Forgive my ignorance, but how many HoF netminders had a poor team in front of them, or how many netminders made it into the HoF that did not win a Cup?
Related to this, are there advanced goaltending statistics to normalize for the skaters in front of them? Maybe based on time of possession and quality scoring chances per game?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I never thought Osgood was among the best goalies of any era in which he played. I'm confused that there's push for him to make the Hall, though I grant that I don't know anything about his non-NHL achievements (if any) that might tip the balance.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I never thought Osgood was among the best goalies of any era in which he played. I'm confused that there's push for him to make the Hall, though I grant that I don't know anything about his non-NHL achievements (if any) that might tip the balance.

He has none. The push is 400 wins, 3 Cups with 2 of them him being the starting goalie and being within a game of a 4th one where he was undoubtedly going to be the Conn Smythe if the Wings had won game 7.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Osgood was a poor puck handler which resulted in some major gaffes. Unfortunately, that's how many people remember him.

His stats are HOF quality.

Reactions: Winger98

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't know if Osgood will get in or not but in my book he's a compiler and shouldn't (Sorry Ozzy). He was an average to better than average and occasionally very good goaltender for years on a team that was mostly very good.

I'm also a little surprised that people consider Dats a first ballot lock but Z borderline. To me they're a lot closer together in consideration.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

In terms of highlight reel plays Datsyuk was by far better. But when you look at the numbers and what they did on the ice he really wasn't clearly better than Z. I put them both around the same level but with different styles. And they were both great defensively so it's not like there's a gap there either.

If anything 2009 was one of the seasons were Dats was clearly ahead of Z in the regular season.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMule93

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
In terms of highlight reel plays Datsyuk was by far better. But when you look at the numbers and what they did on the ice he really wasn't clearly better than Z. I put them both around the same level but with different styles. And they were both great defensively so it's not like there's a gap there either.

If anything 2009 was one of the seasons were Dats was clearly ahead of Z in the regular season.
I gave 2009 as a toss up due to the playoffs.

That being said, you really can't think Post 2011 Zetterberg was as impactful as Datsyuk, can you? Zetterberg's defensive game declined significantly after his back and wrist injury, as did his shot. That's not to say it was his fault, but Z seemed to be more an opportunistic producer, opposed to Datsyuk who could do it all himself, and for my money was a much better puck possession and defensive player post 2010

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That being said, you really can't think Post 2011 Zetterberg was as impactful as Datsyuk, can you? Zetterberg's defensive game declined significantly after his back and wrist injury, as did his shot. That's not to say it was his fault, but Z seemed to be more an opportunistic producer, opposed to Datsyuk who could do it all himself, and for my money was a much better puck possession and defensive player post 2010

There’s a reason Datsyuk has the highest Corsi in the history of the stat. He was an absolute puck possession monster.

Z was a great defensive player probably right up until the year he had back surgery and missed that series against Boston. He literally put Toews in his pocket in that 12-13 series against Chicago.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There’s a reason Datsyuk has the highest Corsi in the history of the stat. He was an absolute puck possession monster.

Z was a great defensive player probably right up until the year he had back surgery and missed that series against Boston. He literally put Toews in his pocket in that 12-13 series against Chicago.

He also did it to Getzlaf and prime Crosby... Z was an insane matchup center. He was also a lot nastier with his stick than his other worldly gentleman persona. It is a part of why guy's always melted down towards him. He was a tough dude to play against. If I needed to shut someone down for one game I am tempted to lean Zetterberg, him or Fedorov in terms of my lifetime. I know Stevie and Dats were great, but those two could flat out erase somebody and drive them crazy while doing it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He also did it to Getzlaf and prime Crosby... Z was an insane matchup center. He was also a lot nastier with his stick than his other worldly gentleman persona. It is a part of why guy's always melted down towards him. He was a tough dude to play against. If I needed to shut someone down for one game I am tempted to lean Zetterberg, him or Fedorov in terms of my lifetime. I know Stevie and Dats were great, but those two could flat out erase somebody and drive them crazy while doing it.

Yeah, he really just seemed to take a crazy amount of pride in those 1 on 1 matchups. Where Datsyuk didn’t want to be bogged down with erasing 1 guy for the whole game because he was more of a free roamer.

Also just noticing your avatar... that is really sad to hear :(

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, he really just seemed to take a crazy amount of pride in those 1 on 1 matchups. Where Datsyuk didn’t want to be bogged down with erasing 1 guy for the whole game because he was more of a free roamer.

Also just noticing your avatar... that is really sad to hear :(

Indeed, there is a thread in the main NHL section. She will be missed and her impact here was enormous. We lost one of the greatest Wings fans and people this morning.

Z's will in those situations was incredible.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Indeed, there is a thread in the main NHL section. She will be missed and her impact here was enormous. We lost one of the greatest Wings fans and people this morning.

Z's will in those situations was incredible.

Absolutely, agree on all accounts.

As far as Z, it was amazing to watch. Not just the will to come out on top, but the smarts to anticipate what the best players in the world are going to do and be right there step for step with them.

His play against Crosby in the Finals is one of my favorite Wings memories.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

It certainly affected his goal scoring and footspeed but he was still surprisingly productive. And I think "post 2010" is calling his defensive demise too early. As others have mentioned, Z being all over Toews in 2013 is an example of how he was still strong defensively.

As for not impactful post 2011 compared to Datsyuk I'm not really seeing it. Here's their total points for the years until Dats retired. Points aren't everything but it's not like Z was limping around getting Dan Cleary empty netters either.

DatsyukZetterberg
67​
69​
49​
48​
37​
48​
65​
66​
49​
50​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Z's game wasn't nearly as spectacular looking as Datsyuk's but equally effective. I think part of the reason he did so well in the playoffs is because his game was built for it. The ugly work, the hard areas of the ice, the ugly goals.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't know if Osgood will get in or not but in my book he's a compiler and shouldn't (Sorry Ozzy). He was an average to better than average and occasionally very good goaltender for years on a team that was mostly very good.

I'm also a little surprised that people consider Dats a first ballot lock but Z borderline. To me they're a lot closer together in consideration.
Not pointing you out in particular (I apologize if I come across as a a-hole), but IMHO - what amuses me most is how many will take 'X' netminder, and say he's HoF worthy, and then say 'B' netminder is not...

Once again - how many goalies who are now in the HoF were on a $hitty team?

How many goalies in the HoF did not win a Cup?

Osgood may not have been at the top tier of netminding, but lets be honest here shall we?.....If guys like Lafontaine, Hawerchuck, Gartner, and Ciccarelli can make it in - why can't Osgood?\

IMHO - it's a painfully obvious dbl standard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad