Do these players make the Hall of Fame?

Do these players make the Hall of Fame?

• Total voters

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Per the Zetterberg retirement topic, I wanted to circle back around to a couple debates on where the highest profile Wings of the salary cap era fall in terms of making it to Toronto.

To make my answer clear, I think Hank and Pav eventually make it in and Osgood stays right on the outskirts of the Hall like he's been all along.

E: changed my vote. None will make it. And no Wings will make it for the next 59 years

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Per the Zetterberg retirement topic, I wanted to circle back around to a couple debates on where the highest profile Wings of the salary cap era fall in terms of making it to Toronto.

To make my answer clear, I think Hank and Pav eventually make it in and Osgood stays right on the outskirts of the Hall like he's been all along.
I agree. Ozzy doesn't make the cut but Hank and Pavs eventually get there.

Reactions: golffuul

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think it's just Datsyuk. For as much as Zetterberg did for the franchise, HoF voters like forwards who score a lot of flashy goals, which was never Hank's game.

Absolutely talented, and underrated in several areas, but he's definitely not first ballot, and I think he comes up short (despite much protesting from the mitten state).

Reactions: AHall88

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think Hank was in shadow of Pavel when Datsyuk were winning trophies. Actually Hank was better at defence , it is just Pavel so flashy made his game looked more elite

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think it's just Datsyuk. For as much as Zetterberg did for the franchise, HoF voters like forwards who score a lot of flashy goals, which was never Hank's game.

Absolutely talented, and underrated in several areas, but he's definitely not first ballot, and I think he comes up short (despite much protesting from the mitten state).
Hank won a Smythe and Olympic gold. I think he gets in.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Pavel was, for a couple years, talked about as maybe the best player in the league. Selke level defense, PPG+, centerman, highlight reel plays constantly. He has a verbalized respect from players and coaches from around the league.

Hank has never been talked about that way. Fair or not, I think Pavel gets in and Hank doesn't.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Datsyuk and Zetterberg- Yes
Osgood - No

Pretty easy in my eyes.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hank won a Smythe and Olympic gold. I think he gets in.
The CS and gold medal definitely work in his favor, but I just don't think the league as a whole view him as many Wings fans do. Now granted, anything ESPN says I take with a grain of salt, but here's an example from last fall:

Which current NHL stars are future Hall of Famers?

Pavel Datsyuk (in the "Lock" category)
Datsyuk is an interesting one. Currently playing out the string in the KHL, he never hit 1,000 points in the NHL, finishing with 918 but with a 0.96 points-per-game average, which led the Detroit Red Wings from 1999 to now. As a defensive player, he's a standard-bearer: He has three consecutive Selke Trophy wins and was a six-time finalist. Quadrant 1 is a concern, but he's a four-quad guy in my book, and in the books of the countless players he influenced.

Henrik Zetterberg (in the "Close, but No Hall" category)
The essential question from Detroit Red Wings fans will be "Why Datsyuk and not Zetterberg?" The short answer is that Datsyuk is a superior all-around player whose impact on the game supplements his lack of dominating stats. Zetterberg's Conn Smythe is a highlight.

Now is that a fairly dismissive comparison? Absolutely, but that's my point. Nothing really jumps out at the casual fan for Hank, while Datsyuk had a major reputation for highlight reel goals.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The CS and gold medal definitely work in his favor, but I just don't think the league as a whole view him as many Wings fans do. Now granted, anything ESPN says I take with a grain of salt, but here's an example from last fall:

Which current NHL stars are future Hall of Famers?

Pavel Datsyuk (in the "Lock" category)
Datsyuk is an interesting one. Currently playing out the string in the KHL, he never hit 1,000 points in the NHL, finishing with 918 but with a 0.96 points-per-game average, which led the Detroit Red Wings from 1999 to now. As a defensive player, he's a standard-bearer: He has three consecutive Selke Trophy wins and was a six-time finalist. Quadrant 1 is a concern, but he's a four-quad guy in my book, and in the books of the countless players he influenced.

Henrik Zetterberg (in the "Close, but No Hall" category)
The essential question from Detroit Red Wings fans will be "Why Datsyuk and not Zetterberg?" The short answer is that Datsyuk is a superior all-around player whose impact on the game supplements his lack of dominating stats. Zetterberg's Conn Smythe is a highlight.

Now is that a fairly dismissive comparison? Absolutely, but that's my point. Nothing really jumps out at the casual fan for Hank, while Datsyuk had a major reputation for highlight reel goals.

Yes, but Zetterberg has top tier flow + beard combo. Like dudes are jealous of that combo.
Datsyuk has a triangle head and a bowl cut.

Reactions: Gniwder and Bench

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yes, but Zetterberg has top tier flow + beard combo. Like dudes are jealous of that combo.
Datsyuk has a triangle head and a bowl cut.
No doubt. But having your own wing of the FHoF (Follicle Hall of Fame) is (sadly) not yet criteria for the Hockey Hall of Fame. :arr::D

Reactions: RedMenace

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pavel was, for a couple years, talked about as maybe the best player in the league. Selke level defense, PPG+, centerman, highlight reel plays constantly. He has a verbalized respect from players and coaches from around the league.

Hank has never been talked about that way. Fair or not, I think Pavel gets in and Hank doesn't.

I think they both have a tremendous amount of respect from players and coaches.

Ask Crosby or Toews what it was like to have Zetterberg shut them down in a playoff series. Or ask the coaches from those series what it was like.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think they both have a tremendous amount of respect from players and coaches.

Ask Crosby or Toews what it was like to have Zetterberg shut them down in a playoff series. Or ask the coaches from those series what it was like.
Right. But that's direct competition, insider-level analysis, from a relatively small group of people. And I'd argue that HoF voting is much closer to casual, name recognition level of analysis for the masses (for better or worse).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Right. But that's direct competition, insider-level analysis, from a relatively small group of people. And I'd argue that HoF voting is much closer to casual, name recognition level of analysis for the masses (for better or worse).

If we’re going to talk about Pavel’s hands, then you have to talk about Zetterberg’s shut down playoff performances.

It’s a big part of what makes them “them”... beyond just looking at their stats.

I doubt HOF voters are oblivious to this.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't think any of them should

as for what I think will actually happen rather than my personal opinion of what should happen? I view Datsyuk as very likely and Zetterberg as moderately likely

maybe like 80%/40-50% respectively

Osgood I don't think really has a shot

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Hank and Pavel will most certainly. I think it will take some time, but Ozzie will join them in there.
Voted all three.
Shame that hank and Z had to deal with multiple lock-outs affecting their career numbers, but I think they both get in regardless of Hank being somewhat shy of 1K points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad