Do these guys deserve the Hall ???

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
He's fourth all-time in playoff goals per game. Period. You want numbers? How's that for a number?

1991? He was the best player in the playoffs. Pittsburgh was done until Samuelsson kneed Cam. The entire complexion of that series changed after that hit. Pittsburgh had no other way of stopping Neely.

Neely, Bourque and Moog were the difference for Boston in 1990. They were brilliant. Without them, that's a Boston team that maybe gets out of the first round.

But look beyond the numbers, and watch his performance in 1988. Boston hadn't defeated Montreal in the post-season in 40 years. Neely was a second team all-star in 88, but he really took his play to another level in that playoff series against Montreal. The Habs had no answer for Neely, and that 40-year drought was over. Interesting to note that the Bruins haven't defeated the Habs in a series without Neely as an active player in the organization since 1948.
As for the Neely/Lindros debate, two difference makers: playoffs and character. Neely was a much better player in the playoffs than Lindros (even through Lindros might have better numbers). Also, the name Eric Lindros conjures up a lot of negatives to a lot of people. You can't say the same about Neely. Character won't keep a sure-fire HHOFer out. But it will keep a borderline candidate out.

Being a Habs fanin the late 80's/early 90's, I remeber all those serie's Montreal playerd vs. Boston like it was yesterday. And I tell you, I respected Bourque and Moog a lot. They were great players. But I absolutley FEARED Neely. He was amazing against the Habs in that time period. Like you said, we had nothing that could stop him.

I'm not saying Neely was better than Bourque by any stretch, but my God, Neely was so dominant during that time period.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He's fourth all-time in playoff goals per game. Period. You want numbers? How's that for a number?

1991? He was the best player in the playoffs.

Yes but still under a point per game for his career. Yes points didnt say everything for him but his prime was drastically too short to call him a HHOFer. Peter Bondra had a pretty good GPG in a lot of regular seasons but he didnt have an overall great offensive game. I just feel Neely didnt do anything to make it a crime not to put him in. If Neely is in how can you keep Lindros out? Seriously. There isnt one season Neely ever put up that can compete with Lindros in '94-95, '95-96 or '98-99. And as for the playoffs, I'll give Neely the edge but Lindros in '97 was pretty dominant. He's also got a Hart Trophy. That holds a lot of weight.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Yes but still under a point per game for his career. Yes points didnt say everything for him but his prime was drastically too short to call him a HHOFer. Peter Bondra had a pretty good GPG in a lot of regular seasons but he didnt have an overall great offensive game. I just feel Neely didnt do anything to make it a crime not to put him in. If Neely is in how can you keep Lindros out? Seriously. There isnt one season Neely ever put up that can compete with Lindros in '94-95, '95-96 or '98-99. And as for the playoffs, I'll give Neely the edge but Lindros in '97 was pretty dominant. He's also got a Hart Trophy. That holds a lot of weight.

Goals mean a lot more than points. Especially to a pure goal scorer like Neely. If you want to look at stats with Neely (and stats don't tell the story) you only look at goals. 50 goals in 49 games after he was a walking (or limping) medical miracle. Freaking amazing. People don't look at the points Richard got they look at the 544 goals.

But I agree Lindros was a better and more dominant player at the start of his career. I would not have a problem with him in the HHOF. Few players were ever as dominant as Lindros was at the start of his career. But Lindros did alienate pretty much everyone. He is a hated player and not without good reason. Sadly in my mind because I don't think Lindros is really a bad guy. He took alot of bad advice in his career, and made many, many mistakes. Everyone thought the Big E - E stood for Ego. But the last few years like in Toronto Lindros to me looks like a guy that just loves to play hockey. Injuries, concussions and everything leave him a shell of his former self but Lindros doesn't care if he is the star or if he is on the 3rd line. He just wants to play hockey. Too bad about the massive amounts of bad PR he had. If he had always been a guy that was seen as just wanting to play hockey he would be remembered so much better and he would make the HHOF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad