Proposal: Do the Wings have what it takes to get to #2 (Svech)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No. I mean, No they don't have what it takes to get #2.

1) Svechnikov is the ONLY prospect in Carolina Hurricanes History that they invited to Carolina prior to the draft. (except in 2004 when the draft was in Carolina). Not even Eric Staal.
2) They held a meet and greet with Season Ticket Holders and Svechnikov already. You don't do that unless you are 100% sure you are picking him.
3) Waddell and Dundon have already stated that they are picking Svechnikov unless somebody totally blows them away with an offer and nobody has come close yet. Wings aren't going to give up what it would take to have the Canes give up #2OA.
4) Dundon said this today on the radio: He really likes Svechnikov as a person, and they feel he has the skills to be a star with the personality and work ethic to push into superstar status. He is their obvious choice and there’s nothing short of a huge return that would get them to part with the pick."
5) The draft is in Dallas, which is Dundon's home town and his daughters are going to be runners at the draft. This is his moment in the sun.

The chances of the Canes trading the #2OA is about as close to zero as you can get.

EDIT: I'm not saying the Wings don't have the assets, I mean they wouldn't part with the assets it would take to get the pick.

Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
No. I mean, No they don't have what it takes to get #2.

1) Svechnikov is the ONLY prospect in Carolina Hurricanes History that they invited to Carolina prior to the draft. (except in 2004 when the draft was in Carolina). Not even Eric Staal.
2) They held a meet and greet with Season Ticket Holders and Svechnikov already. You don't do that unless you are 100% sure you are picking him.
3) Waddell and Dundon have already stated that they are picking Svechnikov unless somebody totally blows them away with an offer and nobody has come close yet. Wings aren't going to give up what it would take to have the Canes give up #2OA.
4) Dundon said this today on the radio: He really likes Svechnikov as a person, and they feel he has the skills to be a star with the personality and work ethic to push into superstar status. He is their obvious choice and there’s nothing short of a huge return that would get them to part with the pick."
5) The draft is in Dallas, which is Dundon's home town and his daughters are going to be runners at the draft. This is his moment in the sun.

The chances of the Canes trading the #2OA is about as close to zero as you can get.

EDIT: I'm not saying the Wings don't have the assets, I mean they wouldn't part with the assets it would take to get the pick.

Damn what if pulls a troll job and drafts him instead of Dahlin?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I wouldn't trade Svech if I was CAR. He will be a beast in the NHL

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
I must be living under a rock... I was like wtf how did Carolina get the 2nd OA pick. Did they trade for it? They were fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the year.

Now I see they won it in the draft lottery.

Good for you guys! Happy that you won it and not a lot of other teams.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
yeah they have the pieces. pick 6 and their 2019 1st probably gets it done.
is svechnikov really that much better than a dobson/wahlstrom/bouchard though?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
yeah they have the pieces. pick 6 and their 2019 1st probably gets it done.
is svechnikov really that much better than a dobson/wahlstrom/bouchard though?

I highly doubt that gets it done. Canes are sold on this guy (as I showed above) and have said they would only move that pick for something that "blows them away". The #6OA and a mystery first rounder next year isn't "blowing them away". This isn't about fair value, which is why you haven't seen a team knowingly trade out of the top 3 since 2002.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Nope.

I wouldn’t do #2 for #6 + Larkin if that puts it into.context (and I’m sure Detroit also says no). Svechnikov is as close to a 40+ goal superstar as one will find in the Draft. Exactly what Carolina needs.

Ya but you also would trade #16 and Ottawa's 2019 1st for #4 if you were COL....

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ya but you also would trade #16 and Ottawa's 2019 1st for #4 if you were COL....

I was responding to a poster (you?) saying there was zero value in Colorado trying to make a deal for the #4. I used #16 + Ottawa 2019 for #4 as an illustrative example, but I still think it looks like good value when you posted it just now.

Do you still believe that adding Zadina or Tkachuk to Colorado’s roster next year has zero value compared to picking a prospect at #16 and waiting to see where Ottawa picks in 2019? I still disagree. Not sure why it is necessary to bring up here.

Reactions: Unsustainable

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Yeah that's not even close to enough

I think that would be too much, wings are gonna be in the running for last overall next season, and if they get it, hughes is far better than svech, let alone the 6 from this year. That said, I can see canes fans nervous about it since who knows where the wings finish, but i expect a pick in the top 4-5 at the least in this draft.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Could DET offer their no.6 pick and Larkin for the no.2 overall and make the deal work? Sure

Would DET ever do that? NO

I know this sounds stupid and homerish (Carolina fan), but I think when Waddell says "he'd have to be blown away"....he's talking unreasonable overpayment....so you'd be adding to #6 and Larkin. Personally, I'd strongly consider #6 and Larkin, but it ain't gonna happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad