Do the teams that added “toughness” improve?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Adding players like Coleman, Foegele, Garland and Hyman isn't adding "toughness," but tenacity, two-way play, and the willingness to drive the net and play in the crease.

NYR is the only one that explicitly added toughness, i.e. players willing to land big hits and, in the case of Reaves, fight.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
NYR definitely improved by adding Reaves - - that was a very good deal to only give up a 3rd and also a great contract.

Getting Reaves was absolutely essential after getting humiliated when their best player got rag dolled and nobody could respond.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Adding players like Coleman, Foegele, Garland and Hyman isn't adding "toughness," but tenacity, two-way play, and the willingness to drive the net and play in the crease.

NYR is the only one that explicitly added toughness, i.e. players willing to land big hits and, in the case of Reaves, fight.

Also, the only player of that group that is frequently a healthy scratch.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

And in the playoffs this goes a long way. Just ask the Bruins how they felt after the Islanders series seeing Heat seeking missiles Clutterbuck and Martin in their faces every time they got near the puck.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Zadorov, Ceci, Poolman?
What about them? The only "tough" defenceman Tampa had for 20-21 was Luke Schenn, and he barely played. You can add Cernak if you want, but it's not like he gets out of position just to throw a hit.

Ceci came in to replace Larsson and Vancouver had a hole in their bottom pair.

Have I missed some series of articles or threads about Tampa being "tough" instead of extremely skilled and smart?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
And in the playoffs this goes a long way. Just ask the Bruins how they felt after the Islanders series seeing Heat seeking missiles Clutterbuck and Martin in their faces every time they got near the puck.
It barely makes a difference if any, but sure.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
League goes in cycles, best to not jump on any trend as you can easily miss when it changes again. It’s why we see some of the bad contracts every free agency. Whatever just won a championship may not work a couple seasons later (ex: big defenseman are “in” right now, could change to smaller and puck moving)

The most successful teams will be the most balanced and can play either way

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What about them? The only "tough" defenceman Tampa had for 20-21 was Luke Schenn, and he barely played. You can add Cernak if you want, but it's not like he gets out of position just to throw a hit.

Ceci came in to replace Larsson and Vancouver had a hole in their bottom pair.

Have I missed some series of articles or threads about Tampa being "tough" instead of extremely skilled and smart?

Literally every broadcast from the conference finals up was about how big tough tall damn were winning these games.

If you are saying Tampa was not a big tough team I agree completely. I personally see this off season being 2016 2.0.

I expect a team like Pittsburgh from that era to win the cup.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers basically traded Brett Howden for Ryan Reaves so that answers your question.

Forget toughness, Ryan Reaves is is Jaromir Jagr compared to Howden and the move was a 1-for-1 hockey upgrade, period.

Same thing with Nemeth. He's replacing Libor Hajek. I'm better than Libor Hajek.

The Rangers making a couple of straight upgrades is being mischaracterized as purely a toughness move.

As for the rest, I think Buchnevich going out and Goodrow and Blais coming in adds a needed element to a team that can already score, but has had trouble defending and forechecking. The development of Lafreniere, Kakko, and Kravtsov should easily pick up the lost points and the Rangers still have a ton of skill.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019

You completely missed their point. First paragraph = good strategy, second is bad

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You completely missed their point. First paragraph = good strategy, second is bad
Just stating that it is important to balance out your lineup with Grittier/Tougher whatever you wanna call it but guys that are tough and heavy on the forecheck.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
As Long as Kakko and Laf make strides and replace the hole left by Buchnevich’s scoring, the Rangers should be much better. Going from Hajek-Smith to Nemeth-Lundkvist is night and day and their bottom six will be much stronger compared to last year.

Reactions: bl02

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Adding grit and physicality helps if you already have the skill to go with it. Tampa clearly did.

For a team like Calvary, they just lack depth and skill all over, so it won’t make a difference.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Hard forechecking shift after shift doesn't make a difference? Did you watch any of the Islander games during the playoffs? or Montreal? They didn't get as far as they did just on talent.
I just announced my appreciation for Coleman, Foegele, Garland and Hyman who all forecheck like mad and dig in the boards.

They can also transition the puck, make plays in the offensive zone beyond forechecking and even score goals, which is what wins games.

Hard forechecking is great, but NHLers, by and large, are not intimidated by getting hit. The Bruins certainly aren't. The "fear" of forechecking is turning over the puck.

The problem with players who are simply tough is that they don't do much after the turnover.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The Rangers basically traded Brett Howden for Ryan Reaves so that answers your question.

Forget toughness, Ryan Reaves is is Jaromir Jagr compared to Howden and the move was a 1-for-1 hockey upgrade, period.

Same thing with Nemeth. He's replacing Libor Hajek. I'm better than Libor Hajek.

The Rangers making a couple of straight upgrades is being mischaracterized as purely a toughness move.

As for the rest, I think Buchnevich going out and Goodrow and Blais coming in adds a needed element to a team that can already score, but has had trouble defending and forechecking. The development of Lafreniere, Kakko, and Kravtsov should easily pick up the lost points and the Rangers still have a ton of skill.
Buchnevich is better at defending & forechecking than either of those guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->