Do the Stromes go the same path as the Staals?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Big brothers(Eric and Ryan) get drafted, high skill, looking like they are going to be impact forwards for a long time.

Their brothers come along. Name recognition gets them some hype, they are much bigger than their brothers but less skilled. Both drafted high (2nd and 3rd OA). Jordan was a disappointment considering his draft position, and Strome has some question marks himself.

Anyone else see this happening?

In It 2 Winnik

TankArmy4Puljujarvi
Dec 28, 2013
Toronto
So Strome is hyped cause he led the OHL in scoring? The only question marks I've seen is his skating which will improve over time. He made a name for himself IMO. I would bet Dylan > Ryan.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
You forgot the elder Staal was a beast in the 2000's for the Canes. Had a 100 pt season as well. People seem to forget how good he was just because he's so pedestrian and inconsistent nowadays (still putting up 70 pts).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I can only hope for the youngest Strome that his career ends up nothing like Jared Staal's. My god must that kid feel bad. Barely an ahl player and wasn't qualified by Carolina this year. Only reason he's played any nhl games is because of an end of season publicity stunt.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I'm pretty sure Dylan Strome has always been considered a better prospect than his brother.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
seriously what happened to eric staal ?

did he win the cup too early ?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Other than that both are sets of brothers, I don't see any reasonable basis for comparison here.

Brothers A are underperforming by my expectations. Does that mean that Brothers B will as well?

The Sedins were hyped coming into the league. Maybe the Stromes will do that well.

And there are a lot of players who would kill to have Eric Staal's career. Or Jordan's. Or Marc's.

What was the premise of the thread, again?

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Eric and Jordan have won a cup
Marc has been to the SCF and 3 conference finals.

I'd say thats some tough shoes to fill unless they're going for the 4th staal's creds :laugh:

JCLiponfanboy*

Interestingly enough there is a third brother, Matt, who was just drafted in the OHL's 1st round.

I knew there was three, didn't know his name was Matt. So that covers Marc. Now we need the Bust.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I knew there was three, didn't know his name was Matt. So that covers Marc. Now we need the Bust.

It would actually be more interesting to compare Matt Strome to Jared Staal, seeing as they are both the third forwards in their respective families. Marc will always be the oddball because he's a defenceman.

JCLiponfanboy*

It would actually be more interesting to compare Matt Strome to Jared Staal, seeing as they are both the third forwards in their respective families. Marc will always be the oddball because he's a defenceman.

Do you know if they have any other younger brothers, or does it stop at 3?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
To be honest when I saw the title of this thread I figured the OP was asking if the Strome's would eventually want to find a team where they could play together

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Ryan even said Dylan was a better player.

Well what is he supposed to say? His brother was trying to become a top pick, do you think Ryan would tell the press that his brother is a no talent hack riding his coat tails? Of course not but I'm not saying Dylan isn't good either. I think Dylan will have a good career and has plenty of potential.

I'm about 95% sure it stops at 3.

I'll do you one better, I'm a 100% there are only 3 but they are very close friends with the McLeod family who will have 2 brothers probably drafted in 2016 and 2018. Good story about their relationship here.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...ods_could_be_hockeys_next_sutters_staals.html

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
I see them going the Schenn' brothers path more. They're gonna be really good, but not great.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
The fact I am an avid hockey fan and had no idea there was more than 2 of them says absolutely not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad