Speculation: Do the Sabres make the playoffs?

Do the Sabres make the playoffs?

• Total voters

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I believe the Sabres are a bubble team and possibly a Top 4 D away from making the playoffs.
Also, depending on the final roster picked will tell us if this is another bump season or they
are taking the best players available.
Injuries to Seth Jones and or Couturier can certainly help out cause.

For the poll its a simple yes or no. You can change your vote after the roster has been set. ;)

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I voted no, but how close they are depends mostly on how able the rookies on the roster are to make an impact. I do think we will be significantly better and more entertaining than last year.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
No.

There are still legitimate questions on the wings, and now with ROR gone I have short term Concerns about center. Buffalo has a lot of defensemen but only a couple good ones.

Hutton and Ullmark is a complete unknown.

What is known: Buffalo will finally hand over the reigns to the young guns. For the first time this rebuild I feel like the main players on this team are the young guys - Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, Risto, Tage and Mittelstadt. It’s going to be an exciting season but I don’t see the skill + depth, especially in goal to get there. I could see this team getting close to 90 pts, though.

Deleted member 27798

What starting roster would make you say yes to playoffs?
I was going to ask the same question. Short of a trade, I can’t see how the last few rosters spots are going to make me think this is a playoff team versus non-playoff team.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Prior to seeing the pre season games I would have voted yes with just a tiny tremor. Quite frankly there has not been one game that has led me to believe I was right. Only the first exhibition game against the Leafs showed me much of anything. Preseason losses are no big deal. Losing the 5 0n 5 battles on a regular basis is a big deal. The good players we have--and we have some very good ones--have just not done enough convince me this is a playoff team yet.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It depends on when they fire Housley and who they replace him with. They need to play a disciplined style coached by someone who knows how to teach. A couple years with a coach like Ken Hitchcock would work wonders.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Gut says no, I still think this is a gap year of sorts while the kids get some more grooming and experience in Rochester. But I'm absolutely hoping that they click and give us an exciting season. Not being a joke by Christmas would be nice.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I voted no. I think they will both entertaining and frustrating. We'll see some great plays by the likes of Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, Mitts, Tage et al. We'll also see times of inconsistency. THere will be times that Dahlin struggles. Tage and Nylander too - if they are on the team. If they aren't - the likes of Berglund, Girgs, Larsson, Sobotka, Pomms, Beaulieu, Bogo and Okposo will do the frustrating.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'll say no. A few weeks ago I was more optimistic but the preseason has been a bit of an eye opener.

I think we'll be better. I like the moves we've made and the pieces we've added... but there's still a lot of learning and hard work this team needs to do. I don't see the playoffs, but I do think the players we have are better able/more willing to learn than last year. Even moreso once guys like Asplund, Thompson and Nylander make the team.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Detroit, Islanders, Ottawa are the only teams I expect us to be better than.
Then it’s a fight with Rangers/Carolina/Montreal.

Florida, Philadelphia and Columbus are in a tier above us.

Boston/Toronto/Tampa/Penguins/Washington/New Jersey will all be fantastic and can go all the way.

The really depressing thing is how many talents all the other teams have. It will be hard to catch up.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
Funny how much the attitude of the team making the playoffs has changed in a few weeks. Can't expect them to play well until I start to see it.

Reactions: Snippit

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I think Eichel and Reinhart will have big years but we still end up bottom 5-6

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Doubtful...im assuming we start pretty vet heavy, and our vets suck. Gonna be too big a hole to dig out of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->