Do the Leafs have the worst defense in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Is this thread even necessary to remain open? It was the Leafs 3rd game of the season and yet the thread about Matthews 4 point night gets closed, so I think this one should as well since it's an overreaction.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
It’s been a very bad start to the season so far but they’ll turn it around eventually and play better team defence.

Oct 18, 2011
Not sure if it's the worst in the league but it's the worst of any "contender" im not sure even leafs fans will dispute that

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Defence was terrible in the first game against the Habs. Against the Sens and Hawks though, the defensive woes are being overstated a lot.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Realistically, as long as they keep putting up points, it doesn’t matter how good defensively they are now, it only matters how good they are defensively in April.

Reactions: MoreMogilny

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Is this thread even necessary to remain open? It was the Leafs 3rd game of the season and yet the thread about Matthews 4 point night gets closed, so I think this one should as well since it's an overreaction.

Well, last year we had the “is Zaitsev the best free agent signing in recent history?” And “Matthews> McDavid “ threads and posts so it goes both ways

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
The Dmen they’ve been drafting are devolping, looking pretty good too in the AHL. They have to weather the storm with stop gaps like Hainsey And Oz/Marincin until lily and Sandin make the jump.

The last thing you do is overreact and do hall for Larsson type of deal.

And how long will it take those guys to make the NHL? And how long until they're better than bottom pairing? You'll waste having guys like Marner and Matthews for cheap, and then in a few years you'll have to pay up for guys like Rielly and Kadri.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Realistically, as long as they keep putting up points, it doesn’t matter how good defensively they are now, it only matters how good they are defensively in April.

Seems like a bit of a risky proposition that they can suddenly learn defense in time for the playoffs. It's not like there are reasons to be optimistic for change.

I don't think they're the worst defensive group. They're well below average for sure.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Of the alleged Cup contenders they might.

The Pens is pretty bad but Dumoulin and Letang CAN be really good and Schultz is good enough, only Reilly seems like a top tier guy for the Leafs.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Only 10 teams let it more goals than Toronto last season.

Toronto let in fewer than Tampa.

It’s not the worst, it’s not the best.

It’s middle of the pack. Ridiculous hyperbolic thread.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Well, last year we had the “is Zaitsev the best free agent signing in recent history?” And “Matthews> McDavid “ threads and posts so it goes both ways
tbf at least those threads had more then a 3 game sample to them, imo none of these should have been threads though.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I think Rielly, Zaitsev and Dermott can good for us. Rielly has 6 points in 3 games. Zaitsev looks better from last year and I think Dermott will break out as the season goes along. I'm quite content with Hainsey if he plays less then 15 minutes a night. We need 2 good d-men, which is a lot to ask. Right now; we do not look good though.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Of the alleged Cup contenders they might.

The Pens is pretty bad but Dumoulin and Letang CAN be really good and Schultz is good enough, only Reilly seems like a top tier guy for the Leafs.
zaitsev has been decent but yeah, gardiner needs to return to form, and dermott can be better too.

Reactions: Sam Spade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad