Do the Leafs have the most garbage ice in the entire league?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This was the Raptors' building. It's a mediocre NHL building and a better NBA building. My dream would be a new hockey only high capacity stadium (22,000+) that might justify the capital investment. Otherwise I can't imagine a time when MLSE owns both the Raptors and the Leafs and doesn't want the shared redundancy (hence profitability) of the two franchises in the same building.

Perhaps money needs to be spent on an enhanced sub floor system that protects the ice from other event uses. There also seems to be an issue with the ice surface temperature during hockey events. I'm sure the ice has been better in other years (and worse in its earliest years). Perhaps it's nothing more than a poor operation that needs to be improved to previous years' levels.

The sub floor needs to act as a battery in rinks. You want it to be able to hold the cold for as long as possible. Some rinks make the mistake of insulating under the pad, bad idea, may as well rip it up.

Anybody know how the pad was designed? What is under it and what kind of heat pump or geothermal solutions are deployed?

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
hello folks I am wondering how come no one has mentioned this, but I really think the ice condition here in Toronto is horrible it seems to me the puck is bouncing all the time, I know its bad for both teams but the visiting team is just trying to be patient and wait their bounces and the leafs are trying to look pretty with their passes and so on and the puck bouncing everywhere can't make a pass stick to stick, case and point did you folks see Tavares and marner against dallas both had awesome chances and the puck just bounced from their stick that's just one example am I the only one seeing this..

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
yes the ice at scotia bank is horrible probably the worse in the league, I bet you ask the players they would tell you but no one dares to ask them because management told them to shut up.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Wow, and you accuse me of having a tender spot :) No I’m not affiliated with Scotia. I do however, invest my money to make money. And I’ll let you into a little secret. Investors don’t give a rat’s *ss about the naming of a building with bad ice. Nor do they care about the rants we make about the ice on a hockey forum (and in case you missed it, I agreed at the beginning the ice sucks). You might wish to consider that Scotia’s appeal, or lack thereof, is predicated on their international presence - around 48% of their valuation - and their money generating operations in Canada: mortgages, loans, investments with direct returns as opposed to perceived associations. Finally, most who invest in bank stocks do so for long term stability, which Canadian banks have tended to to provide, and which the long term name association to the Leafs, one of Canada’s most recognizable brands was the reason such money was agreed to be paid over the life of the agreement, not just in year one.

Anyway, let’s hope they fix the ice.

Funny, I thought it was for the dividend.

Reactions: meefer

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Raptors are popular enough to have their own building.

This is their building. It was built for them. The Leafs bought the arena at the last minute, which is why there are so many obstructed view seats for hockey games. It was built for basketball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad