Speculation: Do the kings trade for a goalie?

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Could take Michael Neuvirth.

Idk how long Quick is out for.

Neuvirth is actually a pretty good goalie when healthy and he’s that now.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Steve Mason should be the sign here. Amazing he's not in some organization already...

From Chris Johnson several weeks ago: Goaltender Steve Mason may retire after 10 NHL seasons - Sportsnet.ca

Goaltender Steve Mason might be ready to hang up his skates, Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reported on Saturday Headlines.

“He had a ton of injuries last season, he had concussion and knee issues, he’s been through a lot in his career, and the sense is he may actually be done in the NHL,” Johnston said.

Mason, 30, recently turned down a contract offer from an NHL team looking for a backup, according to Johnston.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lehtonen might be better than Budaj, but he's been trash for 4 years now.

I still can't get his game 7 (or was it a game 6? It was an elimination game, whatever game it was) from 2016 against St. Louis out of my head. He allowed like 3 soft goals near the end of the 1st period. He also allowed another that was called back on an offsides.

Lehtonen's toast.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Don't trade for a goalie. I think they should just throw the season away and go for a top pick like Hughes or the big Canadian guy from the territories (forgot his name but I've been impressed with him). Then get rid of Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez, Phaneuf (retain some salary) for picks and younger players. Maybe move Carter for futures as well. Do a re-tool while Kopitar, Doughty, Quick are still in their primes. Maybe they can add a good free agent with the cap space cleared. Thats my opinion.

Yukon Cornelius?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Early prognosis is 3-6 weeks, so makes sense to not expend any assets in their current state. But I personally wouldn't be shocked if they put in a claim if McElhinney/Pickard hit the waiver wire.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The Kings should just use their current goalies and hold off on trading away any future assets. Maybe the hockey universe is trying to tell them that it's time to cocoon for a couple of years and rebuild.

Reactions: go4hockey

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
If im the kings I chill... and get a top 5 pick.

Adding 1 of hughes, kakko, cozens, dach etc to their last couple drafts would help them a lot long term... JAD, Thomas, Vilardi, kupari etc... they would be on the right track.

Idk if they have any players they can really sell off at deadline tho.

Also they need to fire coach.
The problem is their roster is too good for a bottom 5 finish plus it's full of vets who know how to win. Worst case scenario, they finish in the 10-15 range after bouncing back from this early season struggle.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If they don't claim Condon, then my say would be to trade for Scott Darling. Maybe Semyon Varlamov wouldn't be a bad choice either. I'd do Varlamov, or even Grubauer, whoever Colorado is willing to give up.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Aren't they at the bottom of the west or close? Makes perfect sense to tank it this year, try get a stud prospect to play behind or with Kopitar and come back stronger with Quick healthy, Doughty and Kopitar still there.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Unless we're trading Nate Thompson or Kyle Clifford for a backup, that's gonna be a no from me.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Aren't they at the bottom of the west or close? Makes perfect sense to tank it this year, try get a stud prospect to play behind or with Kopitar and come back stronger with Quick healthy, Doughty and Kopitar still there.

We're only ten games into the season. Kings can still turn it around.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Quick has been hurt before and will probably get hurt again We never traded for anyone then and i honestly dont see us trading anything now We will live or die with campbell if he dont work Patterson gets a call up

Reactions: go4hockey

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If they don't claim Condon, then my say would be to trade for Scott Darling. Maybe Semyon Varlamov wouldn't be a bad choice either. I'd do Varlamov, or even Grubauer, whoever Colorado is willing to give up.

Quick is out a few weeks, so it doesn't make a ton of sense to acquire somebody with term like Darling (signed through 2021) or Condon (2020). Plus the Kings don't have a ton of cap space, so they'd have to get back under when Quick is healthy again. So that'd rule out Varlamov (5.9 million) and I doubt Colorado would look to deal him right now. Colorado acquired Grubauer to be their goalie of the near future, so I don't think they'd shop him just yet.

McElhinney (850K) and Pickard (800K) would be more likely pickups since they're cheap and on expiring deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad